Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bman said:
    Josh, is this the first time we have ever agreed on a topic? Heck at this rate, I might find common ground with Walker, Lifeon3wheels and a few other on here before long. lol

I imagine we all agree on a lot of things. You just let one or two things stand in the way of seeing that. ;)

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I’m not sure one can correlate the gay marriage proposal with a loss for Obama. There is a excellent possibility that Obama can win Ohio and the marriage proposal will lose. The margin of victory for the homophobic elements seems to be the black vote in several key states (California) There have been some very interesting articles about the tension within black churches/communities on gay rights issues. Obama will still get 92% of the black vote but maybe only 35-40% of those voters will support marriage equality.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    I imagine we all agree on a lot of things. You just let one or two things stand in the way of seeing that. ;)

Well… I won’t absolve myself from blame, but I think the first part of what Walker said is correct! :)

bman
    Participant

lazyfish said:
    I’m not sure one can correlate the gay marriage proposal with a loss for Obama. There is a excellent possibility that Obama can win Ohio and the marriage proposal will lose. The margin of victory for the homophobic elements seems to be the black vote in several key states (California) There have been some very interesting articles about the tension within black churches/communities on gay rights issues. Obama will still get 92% of the black vote but maybe only 35-40% of those voters will support marriage equality.

Depends on how much turnout is driven up on the right based on this one issue.

bman
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Well… I won’t absolve myself from blame, but I think the first part of what Walker said is correct! :)

I agree too …

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

lazyfish said:

I don’t know if anyone else finds this a bit ironic?

mwood
    Participant

bman said:
    If they are going to do it 2013 or 2014 would be much better. This (2012) would more than likely cause trouble for the entire progressive ticket since it will definitely motivate the right wing to come out in vote.

I think you could actually argue the exact opposite. The fundamentalists are already going to come out of the woodwork in 2012 to block Obama. If anything, the far-left progressives are likelier to sit this presidential election out. Personally, I have no plans to vote for Obama, but I would absolutely come out to vote for gay marriage.

@jbcmh81:
    I absolutely agree that voting for rights is not the best way to go about this, but it is far better than nothing.

bman
    Participant

mwood said:
    I think you could actually argue the exact opposite. The fundamentalists are already going to come out of the woodwork in 2012 to block Obama. If anything, the far-left progressives are likelier to sit this presidential election out. Personally, I have no plans to vote for Obama, but I would absolutely come out to vote for gay marriage.

@jbcmh81:
    I absolutely agree that voting for rights is not the best way to go about this, but it is far better than nothing.

If Romney is the nominee it could lower turnout but if you put gay marriage on the ballot during a Presidential election you’ll certainly increase conservative turnout and Obama will lose and equality will be setback.

joev
    Participant

You don’t think a gay marriage initiative would increase youth turnout, even a little? I can not figure out why young people don’t vote.

bman
    Participant

joev said:
    You don’t think a gay marriage initiative would increase youth turnout, even a little? I can not figure out why young people don’t vote.

Voting is a pain in the ass for most young people. Easiest thing for young peeps to do is vote absentee. A lot of college students register one place then their credentials don’t match.

Anonymous
    Inactive

joev said:

joev said:

Is there really any reason TO vote?

bman
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    Is there really any reason TO vote?

Elections always have consequences!

Anonymous
    Inactive

bman said:
    Elections always have consequences!

I haven’t seen any of them. At this rate, it doesn’t matter who gets elected…the situation isn’t going to change.

Sure, I can see the viewpoint on smaller issues like school levies, gay marriage, and all that jazz, but even that is skewed by propagandist.

For what it’s worth, I’d vote against the gay marriage thing(I don’t vote though so whatever)…not because I’m against the idea of the gays getting together…do what you please…but it really cracks me up that they are so fascinated with the idea of fighting christians for the sake of getting a christian acknowledged “marriage”…it’s quite ironic. Hell, I’m a straight atheist and I have no plans of getting married. I’m perfectly content with being in a 60 year long relationship…who cares what “slogan” you attach to it. It seems like an absolutely pointless and fruitless debate of “we’re going to fight this, just to fight this!!!”, but hey that’s just me.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

-Nick- said:
    I haven’t seen any of them. At this rate, it doesn’t matter who gets elected…the situation isn’t going to change.

Sure, I can see the viewpoint on smaller issues like school levies, gay marriage, and all that jazz, but even that is skewed by propagandist.

For what it’s worth, I’d vote against the gay marriage thing(I don’t vote though so whatever)…not because I’m against the idea of the gays getting together…do what you please…but it really cracks me up that they are so fascinated with the idea of fighting christians for the sake of getting a christian acknowledged “marriage”…it’s quite ironic. Hell, I’m a straight atheist and I have no plans of getting married. I’m perfectly content with being in a 60 year long relationship…who cares what “slogan” you attach to it. It seems like an absolutely pointless and fruitless debate of “we’re going to fight this, just to fight this!!!”, but hey that’s just me.

Good thing you don’t vote.

bman
    Participant

-Nick- said:

There are legal and financial benefits that go with equality.
    Obviously you lack that understanding.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: