Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Marriage Equality, Same-Sex Marriage & LGBT Equality in Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Franklin County Court has already started issuing same-sex marriage licenses (3 so far) #ObergefellvHodges #Ohio #cbus #SupremeCourt

Woot Woot!

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Congrats to all. It’s about time.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Friends are down partying in the short north. says it’s kinda nutty right now

bayrea
    Participant

Friends are down partying in the short north. says it’s kinda nutty right now

If this was announced last Friday I think the Short North would have exploded.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Okay I’m outta the loop on Supreme Courts vote today. Was it announced ahead of time that they will rule on it today or was it just a “hey btw everyone” thing? Sorry for my ignorance lol

sruckus
    Participant

There are designated decision days. The other days the Court released opinions we all were waiting for the possibility of this case being decided then as well, so it’s been a long wait. There was one more day this month…would have been Monday I think. Today was sort of expected because it had some historical significance from a related case I believe.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Thanks mate!

News
    Participant

John Kasich ‘very disappointed’ with gay-marriage ruling (video)
    on June 26, 2015 at 4:38 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Gov. John Kasich told reporters Friday that he’s “very disappointed” with the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling legalizing gay marriage but will abide by its decision.

READ MORE: http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2015/06/john_kasich_very_disappointed_with.html

ohbr
    Participant

This is a great article given some of the discussions on other threads about the more mainstream feel of Pride, loss of the “gayborhood” and so on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/scotus-same-sex-marriage-gay-culture.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

News
    Participant

LGBT Activists, Allies and Families Celebrate Victory
    June 27, 2015 1:33 pm – Jesse Bethea

Just after 10 a.m. Friday morning, the announcement went out to the entire nation; the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage for every state in the Union. It wasn’t surprising then that the Union Café was where gay men and women and their straight allies, young and old, gathered to celebrate the decision. The crowd inside was packed tight, but happy and victorious as they traded boisterous shouts to commemorate the arrival of marriage equality.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/lgbt-activists-allies-and-families-celebrate-victory-jb1

WJT
    Participant

This is a great article given some of the discussions on other threads about the more mainstream feel of Pride, loss of the “gayborhood” and so on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/scotus-same-sex-marriage-gay-culture.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Interesting article. Much of it resonates with me. But all I need to do is hop on over to Fox News or The Blaze and read the comments on the Gay Marriage articles(or even worse, read the comments from our own governor) to see that hatred and discrimination against gays is alive and well-and we may even see a backlash. I am not so sure it is an ‘end of gay culture’-maybe more an evolution of gay culture. And looking back, and remembering ALL of how it was then, and then seeing how it is now, there is NO WAY I would want it to be like it was- I would not wish that on the young gay people of today.

Yes there were benefits to having such an individual ‘culture’ back then, but the greater difficulties, and especially the costs involved in growing up in ‘that’ America to even get to adulthood and the ability to partake of the gay community, were not worth those benefits.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

Interesting article. Much of it resonates with me. But all I need to do is hop on over to Fox News or The Blaze and read the comments on the Gay Marriage articles(or even worse, read the comments from our own governor) to see that hatred and discrimination against gays is alive and well-and we may even see a backlash. I am not so sure it is an ‘end of gay culture’-maybe more an evolution of gay culture. And looking back, and remembering ALL of how it was then, and then seeing how it is now, there is NO WAY I would want it to be like it was- I would not wish that on the young gay people of today.

Yes there were benefits to having such an individual ‘culture’ back then, but the greater difficulties, and especially the costs involved in growing up in ‘that’ America to even get to adulthood and the ability to partake of the gay community, were not worth those benefits.

I completely agree WJT.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Interesting article. Much of it resonates with me. But all I need to do is hop on over to Fox News or The Blaze and read the comments on the Gay Marriage articles(or even worse, read the comments from our own governor) to see that hatred and discrimination against gays is alive and well-and we may even see a backlash.

You don’t have to go that far. You can still be fired for being gay in like 27 states.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

A good read for those with religious objections to same sex marriage

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article22986057.html

News
    Participant

Some local courts not issuing marriage licenses
    Emilie Eaton 10:52 p.m.

Same-sex marriage opponents denounced the Supreme Court’s ruling to legalize gay marriage on Friday, with some officials even refusing to start issuing licenses. Boone County Clerk Kenny Brown, a Republican, said he wasn’t going to issue any licenses Friday because he was trying to figure out what he had to do to implement the decision.

READ MORE: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/06/26/same-sex-marriage-opponents-react-this-is-a-travesty/29330627/

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 208 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE