Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gay adoption = Raising puppies?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Gay adoption = Raising puppies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>
    I don’t know if he can out-folksy Palin with her “schoolyard bully – nuclear treaty signatory” metaphoric equivalences.
    But hey, Ron Paul almost won the SRLC straw poll (which has to give the Mittster fits), and when RP is the voice of reason, next stop is crazytown.

I would love another opportunity to vote for RP. Some of the stuff may be a bit extreme but at least he is willing to say what he means and not pander for votes.

Paul’s about the only non-interventionist left in the party, though he’s a bit too close of the Buchanan wing for my taste. He does have a perchant for personal honesty, which certainly makes him stick out in that crowd.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-broken/

19 broken out of 518+, or 3.6% promises broken. Not bad odds for future promises.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>
    Well, you’re not arguing that the military’s main purpose is to advance a predetermined social agenda?

Sure. But which predetermined social agenda?
    If the military’s purpose is to “kill people and break things,” shouldn’t they select people based entirely on their ability to do that? Failing to allow the perfect killing machine to serve his country because he’s also gay strikes me as precisely advancing a predetermined social agenda at the expense of the military’s mission.

Unless being gay is a detriment to that mission.

Men and women are housed separately now. Why?

Why not have people share living quarters, shower facilities… the lot?

Because currently it’s socially a good idea to separate young, healthy, physically active people from their preferred sexual partners.

This isn’t to say being gay makes one a bad service member; look at ancient sparta for an example of a society that produced excellent soldiers who were gay.

myliftkk
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>
    Well, you’re not arguing that the military’s main purpose is to advance a predetermined social agenda?

Sure. But which predetermined social agenda?
    If the military’s purpose is to “kill people and break things,” shouldn’t they select people based entirely on their ability to do that? Failing to allow the perfect killing machine to serve his country because he’s also gay strikes me as precisely advancing a predetermined social agenda at the expense of the military’s mission.

Which is why the right always cries “no politics allowed” whenever the politics don’t favor them.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus wrote
    This isn’t to say being gay makes one a bad service member; look at ancient sparta for an example of a society that produced excellent soldiers who were gay.

Or, to a much finer and more recent point, Israel has allowed gay folks to serve openly since the early 90’s.

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>
    I don’t know if he can out-folksy Palin with her “schoolyard bully – nuclear treaty signatory” metaphoric equivalences.
    But hey, Ron Paul almost won the SRLC straw poll (which has to give the Mittster fits), and when RP is the voice of reason, next stop is crazytown.

I would love another opportunity to vote for RP. Some of the stuff may be a bit extreme but at least he is willing to say what he means and not pander for votes.

Paul’s about the only non-interventionist left in the party, though he’s a bit too close of the Buchanan wing for my taste. He does have a perchant for personal honesty, which certainly makes him stick out in that crowd.

19 broken out of 518+, or 3.6% promises broken. Not bad odds for future promises.

108 kept… 20.8%. 79.1% not fulfilled.

Guess you have to take your comforts where you can find them, eh?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote

Or, to a much finer and more recent point, Israel has allowed gay folks to serve openly since the early 90’s.

Glad to see their society can make it work. Then again, they’ve also eliminated the restrictions on women in combat years ago and fully support gender neutral mandatory military service.

Bear
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    Because currently it’s socially a good idea to separate young, healthy, physically active people from their preferred sexual partners.

Times change:

[b]U.S. military drops ban on soldiers getting pregnant[/b]
    December 25, 2009 8:55 a.m. EST

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) — The U.S. military has dropped a controversial rule that called for punishing soldiers in northern Iraq for becoming pregnant or impregnating another soldier.

The updated policy “does not include a pregnancy provision,” said Maj. Joe Scrocca, spokesman for U.S. Forces-Iraq.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote

Glad to see their society can make it work. Then again, they’ve also eliminated the restrictions on women in combat years ago and fully support gender neutral mandatory military service.

So, what I hear you saying is that men in the U.S. are socially retarded?

ETA – Israel isn’t the only one… the full list of 25 countries that allow gays to serve openly –

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Times change:

[b]U.S. military drops ban on soldiers getting pregnant[/b]
    December 25, 2009 8:55 a.m. EST
    Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) — The U.S. military has dropped a controversial rule that called for punishing soldiers in northern Iraq for becoming pregnant or impregnating another soldier.
    The updated policy “does not include a pregnancy provision,” said Maj. Joe Scrocca, spokesman for U.S. Forces-Iraq.

Indeed. Rather common when I was in for women to get pregnant to avoid deployment. Became a bit of a joke.

Guess the breeders aren’t needed as much now.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Are you implying 100% compliance defines success? Tell that to how many dead xians waiting on the rapture…? ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote

So, what I hear you saying is that men in the U.S. are socially retarded?
    ETA – Israel isn’t the only one… the full list of 25 countries that allow gays to serve openly –
    Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay.

If you define socially advanced as homosexual, then yes.

Put another way: Drive outside of central Ohio with a pride flag bumper sticker. Would you feel comfortable? Safe? Warm and fuzzy?

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Are you implying 100% compliance defines success? Tell that to how many dead xians waiting on the rapture…? ;)

I’ve no idea what the cult of the nailed god has to do with this… ;)

But surely a 20% success rate isn’t a passing grade?

Bear
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    Guess the breeders aren’t needed as much now.

More like the top brass finally unclenched. I suspect it’ll take the heterosexual male soldier about one generation to do the same….

kit444
    Participant

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Not fulfilled yet. He does have almost three years left.

HeySquare
    Participant

rus wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Gotta be an improvement over what we’ve got now.

Seriously? You believe that your life is so bad right now? You have a job, food on the table, a home, a peaceful city in a country that hasn’t seen war on its home soil in, what, over 150 years? You drive to work everyday on good roads, have plentiful food, clothing, technology. Heat, clean water, air conditioning. You can practice whatever religion you want. People of every race, gender, sexual orientation and religion in the world live here. They work together, socialize together, and sometimes marry each other. And if all of the above is threatening to you, you can carry a gun for protection.

And if our country has been overspending by providing for the old, the challenged, and those with medical problems… well… I say, I wish every government in the world had such problems… that every government believed their citizens had the right to the standard of living that we have here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: