Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gay adoption = Raising puppies?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Gay adoption = Raising puppies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

Well, at least according to one of the Right leading ex-guv’s (there seem to be a lot of those lately).

Huckabee breaks record number of foot inserts in mouth.

Even I was surprised about how much ignorance Huckabee can pack into a single article, and I’m pretty cynical. Still, the one part that stood out the most, at least in terms of historical ignorance was this:

Quote:
    “I think we certainly should be very sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the military is not to see if we can create social experiments,” Huckabee warned.

I take it Huckabee just forgot about this: Truman desegregates military, or maybe he’s still sore about it.

A dixiecrat to the bitter end…

berdawn

maybe he’s really really trying to get the nom

myliftkk
    Participant

I don’t know if he can out-folksy Palin with her “schoolyard bully – nuclear treaty signatory” metaphoric equivalences.

But hey, Ron Paul almost won the SRLC straw poll (which has to give the Mittster fits), and when RP is the voice of reason, next stop is crazytown.

Bear
    Participant

gotta love primary season.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Well, you’re not arguing that the military’s main purpose is to advance a predetermined social agenda?

myliftkk
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    Well, you’re not arguing that the military’s main purpose is to advance a predetermined social agenda?

Huckabee’s doing the arguing, in ignorance of, the historical use of the military to advance a social agenda. I’m simply pointing out the obvious situational hypocrisy.

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Huckabee’s doing the arguing, in ignorance of, the historical use of the military to advance a social agenda. I’m simply pointing out the obvious situational hypocrisy.

Well, I agree with Huckabee.

The purpose of our military is to kill people and break things. Advancing any social agenda is secondary, at best.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>
    I don’t know if he can out-folksy Palin with her “schoolyard bully – nuclear treaty signatory” metaphoric equivalences.
    But hey, Ron Paul almost won the SRLC straw poll (which has to give the Mittster fits), and when RP is the voice of reason, next stop is crazytown.

I would love another opportunity to vote for RP. Some of the stuff may be a bit extreme but at least he is willing to say what he means and not pander for votes.

In my opinion, if the gays want to join up and fight, let ’em.

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

I would love another opportunity to vote for RP. Some of the stuff may be a bit extreme but at least he is willing to say what he means and not pander for votes.

Gotta be an improvement over what we’ve got now.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Well, I agree with Huckabee.
    The purpose of our military is to kill people and break things. Advancing any social agenda is secondary, at best.

Uh, gov 101, the purpose of the military is to extend the political will of the state through the projection of force, either explicit or implied. That said, the military serves and operates at the will of the political state, unless you’re arguing it does not, and hence is subservient to its political masters, unless you’re arguing it should not be. Since society makes up both the political class and the military, the military ultimately projects a social agenda whether Huckabee admits it or not (and has ever since it’s permanent founding). That he doesn’t like what current political leaders might want as the military’s inheritently-projected social agenda doesn’t surprise might me. What does surprise me is that with a straight face, he claims there should be no politics involved in another area where there’s always been politics involved (rather than just admit he doesn’t like his odds on the politcal scale right now).

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>
    Uh, gov 101, the purpose of the military is to extend the political will of the state through the projection of force, either explicit or implied.

Exactly.

Glad to see you agree with me.

myliftkk
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Paul’s about the only non-interventionist left in the party, though he’s a bit too close of the Buchanan wing for my taste. He does have a perchant for personal honesty, which certainly makes him stick out in that crowd.

rus
    rus
    Participant

myliftkk wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

Paul’s about the only non-interventionist left in the party, though he’s a bit too close of the Buchanan wing for my taste. He does have a perchant for personal honesty, which certainly makes him stick out in that crowd.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-broken/

Bear
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Sure. But which predetermined social agenda?

If the military’s purpose is to “kill people and break things,” shouldn’t they select people based entirely on their ability to do that? Failing to allow the perfect killing machine to serve his country because he’s also gay strikes me as precisely advancing a predetermined social agenda at the expense of the military’s mission.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: