Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gas Prices - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Gas Prices – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 512 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

$0.00 per gallon with fuel perks today.
    Then went inside to buy some groceries and back up to $.73 cents off per gallon, which nearly 50% off.

I wonder if fuel perk programs are going to scale back?

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Nice to see gas is going so cheap in Columbus. Out here in Las Vegas the cheapest is around $2.29.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder if fuel perk programs are going to scale back?

Do you like to walk, Neighbor?

ohbr
    Participant
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I think it was the 1990s the last time it was this cheap:

139 gas

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Still not making any kind of difference in air travel costs :/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I was at Grandview/33, and the price on the BP sign went down while I was stopped at the light.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Traffic was pretty congested this morning. I wonder if the low gas prices are going to increase congestion?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Traffic was pretty congested this morning. I wonder if the low gas prices are going to increase congestion?

I think there’s a couple of road construction projects with lane closures that are backing up rush hour pretty bad as people enter Downtown on Fourth and Long. Looked pretty slow-going as I walked past. ;)

bayrea
    Participant

The combination of Giant Eagle fuel perks and the low prices is awesome. I filled my tank up for 7 bucks Saturday and that will last me 2 weeks. I remember 5 years ago when I owned a Ford Explorer having to dish out 90 bucks every 10 days to fill it up.

ohbr
    Participant

The answer generally is yes. Now how much of a sudden impact you’ll see is unknown but lower gas prices generally mean more cars on the road, traffic fatality increases, in many, not all, cases lower use of public transportation, longer trips for little things, (the mentality of that’s a long way to go for just one thing decreases), and may potentially affect air quality. Gas prices are a tricky thing in what they affect on a micro and macro scale in both positive and negative ways. They can, as NPR reported this weekend, even affect our urban renewal efforts.

As for airlines, fuel is purchased in some complicated way based on futures etc so tickets would only go down if the price of fuel stays low for years. Even then, as we’ve seen, airlines aren’t about to stop pocketing that extra profit. With aging fleets and airports, the money will go somewhere. Today’s airlines are not built on competition as much as they used to be. And I believe one study actually found that ticket prices, adjusted for inflation, are actually lower than what they have been. If I remember correctly, they said a 1990s airline ticket today would cost on average close to $500 rather than the $300 some now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    The answer generally is yes.

In related news…

http://radio.wosu.org/post/122-gallon-cheap-gas-raises-fears-urban-sprawl

you’re about 8 posts behind. Keep up , Walker ;-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

you’re about 8 posts behind. Keep up , Walker ;-)

Doh! Sorry! Missed that one. ;)

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 512 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO