Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gas Prices - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Gas Prices – News & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 512 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MORPC revealed the results of their recent “Shape Our Future” survey, (full story can be found here: “MORPC Outlines the Future of the Region” and one of the more interesting portion dealt with questions of where people think gas prices will be in a few years, and at what pricepoint would people alter their driving habits. To quote Chester Jourdan, ED or MORPC in the article:

“We asked what people think gas prices will be like in the next five years. Most said three to five dollars. We are almost at three dollars now. Two summers ago we were at four dollars. We asked what price would gas have to reach for you to fundamentally change your community patterns? Four dollars is the number. The challenge with that goes back to the environment question, as gas prices and our great concern about global climate change continue to impact our communities, folks are looking for other ways to commute and get to work. But one of our challenges is that we are not nearly as invested as we need to be in transportation options. So it is a chicken and egg problem. Yes, that is a huge issue that is coming, but here we are disconnected from what we think things are going to be and where our public investment is.”

I’m curious where most folks on CU lie with this survey question. What price does gas need to be to alter your driving habits? Or has it already affected you? Or have other factors affected you?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

It started affecting my habits when it first started spiking a few years ago. That’s when I paid a visit to Third Hand again and picked up a “new” bike and started bike commuting a few days a week. Went from there to selling my car and living car less for a few months, with COTA and my bike as my main transportation.

Changes in employment has me back living at home in the suburbs and I do see a lot of change in my driving habits. In high school, I had no problem making several trips back and forth through the day if I had time to kill between things. Now I try to make one trip up and one trip back, even if I have to go find something else to do. Usually head to the nearest library around the corner from work or Cup O’ Joe. Same with errands, I’ll usually park the car more now rather than drive place to place if it’s all within walking distance. Or combine trips. If I need to take the bike to the shop, I’ll take it with me to work and stop on the way home.

Tenzo
    Participant

as an FYI. $5 has long considered to be the magic number.
    Once gas goes over $5 a gallon, alternatives become competative.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m fond of the idea that driving could (and should) become a privilege or luxury instead of an entitlement or some fake “right” people think they have. Maybe people will then work harder and stop taking so much for granted.

Tenzo
    Participant

It’s a basic human right;
    Like food
    clothing
    housing
    beer
    cable (including HBO)
    cell phone
    health insurance
    air conditioning
    cigarettes
    and high speed internet.

The gub’mint told me so

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tenzo wrote >>
    $5 has long considered to be the magic number.

By who?

Tenzo wrote >> Once gas goes over $5 a gallon, alternatives become competative.

I think that largely varies from individual to individual and there’s at least a dozen other factors besides gas prices that come into play when comparing driving to the various alternatives.

Cookie

Walker wrote >>
    I’m curious where most folks on CU lie with this survey question. What price does gas need to be to alter your driving habits? Or has it already affected you? Or have other factors affected you?

It was the price of parking at work that changed mine. Fortunately, I only live a couple of miles from work, so I walk it unless the weather is especially yucky, and then I take bus. I’ve live in a really walkable neighborhood, and probably use my car once a week. With the fuel points at Giant Eagle, I haven’t even paid for gas since it dropped below $4 a gallon.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A few editorials then. Gotcha.

Anyway, back to the conversation!

cory

YPCOTA 2010

gramarye
    Participant

Heh. $2/gallon gasoline would also affect my driving habits: I’d drive a lot *more* if gas went *below* that line again.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’d love to see more businesses make telecommuting an option. Talk about cutting back on fuel consumption! It would also save on office space for the business. I LOVE working from home. The money I save on gas is huge.

Forgive the minor hijack.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cookie wrote >>
    It was the price of parking at work that changed mine. Fortunately, I only live a couple of miles from work, so I walk it unless the weather is especially yucky, and then I take bus. I’ve live in a really walkable neighborhood, and probably use my car once a week. With the fuel points at Giant Eagle, I haven’t even paid for gas since it dropped below $4 a gallon.

I’m in a similar boat.

The gas spike in the summer of 2008 certainly made us rethink cross-town trips and how we budgeted for driving vacations, but for the daily commute, we were already walking and busing 95% of the time.

Personally, what got me to start taking the bus more often was a change in neighborhood rather than any gas price changes. When we lived in German Village we walked or drove. When we moved to the KLD we walk first, bus second and drive third. Living on 3 busy bus lines gave us the incentive to start using it on a regular basis.

Talcott

For me it’s not so much the price of gas as the non-car options. Other than my commute to work, and occasional trips elsewhere, I don’t drive much at all. I tend to walk anywhere within a couple of miles, and that gets me pretty much everywhere I need to go. I would love to bus to work, but the only route that comes up here (Crosswoods area) isn’t scheduled very well for a daily commute. If I the bus came up here with #2 regularity, I would bus to walk in a heartbeat.

But, as I’ve said before, it isn’t so much the cost of driving that’s a factor, as my general preference not to drive.

cc

I don’t drive much but I think at $4 and $5 it would start to impact the prices on most things I buy (shipping $$$$). I think we are also pretty used to relatively low prices on just about everything, that would change also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 512 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE