Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

gas or electric stove for a rental?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development gas or electric stove for a rental?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant

Snarf said:
    My piece of crap camper stove was actually one of my favorite things about my old apartment. There is nothing better than cooking with gas. I don’t know what dollar store pans Analogue is cooking with, but the uneven heat thing makes no sense either.

Electronics on stoves are ridiculous, just more stuff to break. Buy a timer for $3, voila. My moms fancy KitchenAid gas range was just out of commission for weeks while trying to repair some electronics on it under warranty. F that! Less is more, although a little convection never hurt.

This is actually why my dream stove is a restaurant grade 36″ sucker with full steel back panel. I don’t want all that fancy-timer-it’s-both-a-stove-and-a-refigerator-and-does-origami business. I want heat and flame and temp control and cleanability. Done.

mdkruse2

Twixlen said:
    This is actually why my dream stove is a restaurant grade 36″ sucker with full steel back panel. I don’t want all that fancy-timer-it’s-both-a-stove-and-a-refigerator-and-does-origami business. I want heat and flame and temp control and cleanability. Done.

Seriously! They can put that money into creating dials where the numbers don’t rub off and springing for the cast iron grating… maybe throw a griddle on there somewhere.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Twixlen said:

I lucked out when I bought my house, the only appliance in it (because it was probably too large and heavy to steal, unlike the copper, microwave, etc.) was this bad boy:

DCS made, badged Jenn Air. Convection, oven light and igniters are only electric elements. Love it!

I could do with one of these though: http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/2795320240.html

Twixlen
    Participant

^ That’s awesome. I have an electric flattop, that I do like, and still works well… but I’d so much prefer gas, at this point. The Thermador is awesome – oh, to have the space for a 48″-er. And yeah, the perfect, perfect stove is gas cooktop, electric oven. But that’s getting into serious bucks. Le sigh.

misskitty
    Participant

Gas rules stoves.
    it’s awesome

cbus11

Never has any issues with my current electric stove and have had some wonderful results with it. It also seems that everything stays cleaner when I cook with it as opposed to the old gas one. I am surprised it seems so lopsided towards gas.

mrpoppinzs

Thanks everyone! I am seeing that gas seems the choice for cooking.

A couple of people have suggested to us that electric would be safer for a rental. Is that more of an old wives tale or is there some truth to that? We will be sticking it in a kitchen island and getting a drop in stove.

I like the fact that the gas stoves may be near bullet proof as they are simple. Do the elements in electric stoves break often?

Sorry for all the questions, I am not much of a cook myself and rarely use my gas stove.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

If you’re doing a kitchen island and a drop in stove, sounds nice enough to merit gas for sure, IMO.

SusanB
    Participant

I’m a landlord and I put in gas stoves. Less to break, cheaper to buy, and certainly more upscale. It’s a no brainer for me.

Twixlen
    Participant

One thing to keep in mind with an island drop in – and that’s exhaust. Gas will run generally hotter than electric, which means exhausting is more important. My rec (as it’s what I have in my very old school house), is a ceiling mounted bath-style fixture, very powerful, and exterior exhausting.

Not sure if you’re working with permits & inspections, but you’ll have to have an exhaust for code.

And as someone who does cook, I hate island fixtures (sink or range). :D

GCrites80s
    Participant

Do you think these tenants are going to party a lot? I remember that a buddy of mine in college would always take the knobs off his gas stove during parties so that drunks wouldn’t accidentally bump start the burners.

UrbanAgent

10 out of 10 of our rental clients prefer gas, especially for individuals who cook. Good luck!

Mike McCoy
    Vutech | Ruff
    Real Living HER
    177 E. Beck St., Columbus, OH 43206
    Direct – 614.255.0609
    Cell – 614.395.4987
    Fax – 614.474.8448

Marketing exceptional homes throughout Central Ohio!

[email protected] http://www.Vutech-Ruff.com

http://www.8OntheSquare.com http://www.BeckPlaceCondos.com

buckeyecpa
    Participant

It depends who your target group is. To the average rental that has a high turn over go with electric. Gas company is a complete pain when establishing service and can cause delays until you fix what they consider a gas leak. Also, I’ve noticed a larger grease issue on the walls of the rentals with gas ranges.

If you’re aiming at a higher end rental or a place that you’re putting a fair amount into in order to get a better tenant and higher income stream then go with gas.

mrpoppinzs

We are probably over thinking things and maybe making things nicer than they need to be. It is our first property and we are on a learning curve. We decided to go with gas. I figure now is the time to do it with everything ripped up. It is in an area of town that has some promise so we hope our efforts will not go unnoticed by prospective tenants.

A friend of ours is thinking of moving into one of the units so we are thinking about what we would like.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: