Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

gas or electric stove for a rental?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development gas or electric stove for a rental?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

I recently bought a rental property with a friend and we are redoing the kitchens. We have the option of putting in gas or electric stoves. Is there a preference and would one be better than another for a rental? The house is a double in an ‘up and coming’ neighborhood. I would rather make the right choice now and not have to worry about it in the future.

any insight is appreciated

cheap

gas is more desirable for cooking,better control of the heat

groundrules
    Participant

i’m no land lord, but my suggestion would be for gas. nearly bombproof, they last forever. No coils to go bad, no electronic controls. They work during power outages. you won’t have to run extra 220v to the kitchen. Gas is cheap right now. and they’re nicer to cook on.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Recent personal experience:

Moved in, gas company came out, indicated their may be a “small leak” around the stove and red tagged it (wouldn’t turn on gas to it). Landlord said this happens about 50% of the time he has a move in, requiring him to come check it out and/or have someone look at it.

In this case, like most of the others, there was no significant leak worth repairing, but it was just a pain in the ass.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

groundrules said:
    i’m no land lord, but my suggestion would be for gas. nearly bombproof, they last forever. No coils to go bad, no electronic controls. They work during power outages. you won’t have to run extra 220v to the kitchen. Gas is cheap right now. and they’re nicer to cook on.

+1

Also if you went with the glass top type electric stove I could see a tenant just mucking up the crap out of the top of them. Those take a lot of constant care.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Groundrules and Snarf nailed it.

ricospaz
    Participant

Guess it depends on how ‘high end’ your rental will be. Gas for discerning cooks, electric for OSU students that will move out every year.

leftovers

Our current apt has an electric stove. I was concerned at first, but now have no issues with it. It is a stove and it works pretty well. The oven actually cooks more evenly than our previous gas ones. I prefer gas burners, mostly because you have better visual indication of temperature.

In a rental I think electric may be easier and less issues with gas leaks, carbon monoxide, etc. Of course I have never had isses with either.

Basically, I think either is fine and gas is overrated.

arualpalm
    Participant

Electric. I have had both, and gas is overrated. I would be concerned about gas leaks and other negative effects. The electric coils should not go out in an electric, and that is a simpler fix.

Stay away from the flat-top stoves: tenants will definitely tear those up. You can easily get a sleek-looking black stove/oven that is electric.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Anyone that says gas is overrated probably doesn’t cook or enjoy cooking.

mdkruse2

I enjoy cooking, and have cooked in a restaurant with prominent chefs, so I have been accustomed to gas ranges, and will actually consider that when renting or buying – more so with renting as there are more possibilities. However – I have come accross a few people who will NOT live in a place where they have to cook on a gas range because they are afraid of leaks and explosions and whatnot… major leaks on gas stoves is a very rare occurance; if there is a leak, you will smell it. There is also a very small chance the stove itsel will leak unless you leave the gas on without it being lit. This is actually better then having a gas line leak since the gas is regulated.

My opinion – go gas since it seems to be a luxury around here (even though natural gas is less expensive). I don’t think too many people will shy away from the property if they prefer electric. I do think some people will be attracted to the property if it has gas though.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Go electric, I hate using gas as it either cooks a small area in the center of the frying pan or burns everything.

Matthew
    Participant

Both have their pros and cons, you can deliberate both ways all day and in the end it is just a stove. Honestly I go with the best price I can find when I’m in the store, paired with what will match other appliances and give the kitchen that overall look that the landlord didn’t buy some piece of crap just to meet minimum. The glass ones are cheapest of all most times, but I have visions of the glass breaking and having to replace the whole unit so I avoid them. Amost all new stoves now have electronic doo dads and gadgets, so I guess my only advice is not to buy a piece of crap camper stove that will make your tenants think you don’t care about the place.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

My piece of crap camper stove was actually one of my favorite things about my old apartment. There is nothing better than cooking with gas. I don’t know what dollar store pans Analogue is cooking with, but the uneven heat thing makes no sense either.

Electronics on stoves are ridiculous, just more stuff to break. Buy a timer for $3, voila. My moms fancy KitchenAid gas range was just out of commission for weeks while trying to repair some electronics on it under warranty. F that! Less is more, although a little convection never hurt.

mdkruse2

Snarf said:
    I don’t know what dollar store pans Analogue is cooking with, but the uneven heat thing makes no sense either.

Wanted to say it… didn’t. As long as you put the correct heat on and pay attention to what you are cooking, you won’t burn it. Not everything requires the maximum high heat required. I’ve burned stuff on electric and gas stoves, but it was evenely burned!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: