Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gardening, anyone?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Gardening, anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

For those of us without access to a yard, I recommend a hydroponics system. I got an Aerogarden as a christmas gift this year and love it. It came with an assortment of herbs (thyme, mint, parsley, basil, chives, something else), and you can buy other seed kits with tomatoes or peppers and such. It automatically turns its grow lights on and off, and reminds you when you need to add water or nutrient tabs.

It’s great for me right now because I have nowhere I could put a garden outside, even if I put it in pots. Hopefully when I move to columbus I’ll have a balcony/patio to do that on, but I would still have the aerogarden for the winter months.

alison

Well, you did it Merc.

I had the day off yesterday, so I drove out to Alexandria and used up $30 worth of gift certificates.

And had a blissful 3 hours of wandering back and forth, thinking about what I’ll get when I go back this summer!

joev
    Participant

Anybody know where to find fruit trees and bushes? I’m looking for multiple/heritage varieties, not the standard one or two we see at Straders. Apple, pear, apricot, blueberries, etc.

Mercurius
    Participant

alison wrote Well, you did it Merc.

I had the day off yesterday, so I drove out to Alexandria and used up $30 worth of gift certificates.

And had a blissful 3 hours of wandering back and forth, thinking about what I’ll get when I go back this summer!

I got some heirloom tomatoes that are already 3 feet tall with blooms on them. Is that cheating? I bought a bunch of onions, asparagus crowns, rhubarb and horseradish. I bought one of the prettiest calla lilies I’ve ever seen and a few other vegetables and herbs. If you are really up for an adventure check out Companion Plants and Glasshouse Works in Athens County.

Mercurius
    Participant

joev wrote Anybody know where to find fruit trees and bushes? I’m looking for multiple/heritage varieties, not the standard one or two we see at Straders. Apple, pear, apricot, blueberries, etc.

If you know of one you want, I can make a graft or air layering from it. Glasshouse Works in Athens specializes in weird plant verities. I have s Citron Buddha’s Hand from there.

Truthfully, I would mail order it online.

joev
    Participant

Mercurius wrote

joev wrote Anybody know where to find fruit trees and bushes? I’m looking for multiple/heritage varieties, not the standard one or two we see at Straders. Apple, pear, apricot, blueberries, etc.

If you know of one you want, I can make a graft or air layering from it. Glasshouse Works in Athens specializes in weird plant verities. I have s Citron Buddha’s Hand from there.

Truthfully, I would mail order it online.

You must have some good sunlight! My Meyer lemon tree lasted about 2 months inside during the winter and then kicked the bucket when I put it outside in the dappled sunlight (about as bright as it gets in my current yard.)

Mercurius
    Participant

Any of the Hesperidia family can be grafted to one another. Eventually I want one tree that each branch makes a different citrus fruit.

joev
    Participant

Mercurius wrote Any of the Hesperidia family can be grafted to one another. Eventually I want one tree that each branch makes a different citrus fruit.

You mean you want to move to San Diego.

Mercurius
    Participant

joev wrote

Mercurius wrote Any of the Hesperidia family can be grafted to one another. Eventually I want one tree that each branch makes a different citrus fruit.

You mean you want to move to San Diego. Na, just a wee greenhouse :wink:

Edit: I suppose it would make a cool bonsai also.

joev
    Participant

Mercurius wrote

joev wrote

You mean you want to move to San Diego. Na, just a wee greenhouse :wink:

Edit: I suppose it would make a cool bonsai also.

It would be cool, but what are you going to do with all those tiny little fruits?

Mercurius
    Participant

There are three awesome plant sales tomorrow morning

Worthington Farmer’s Market

Gardens at Gantz in Grove City Herb Sale

and

Franklin Park Conservatory Plant Sale

alison

And I think the Chadwick Arboretum sale started today.

I’m actually kinda glad I won’t be able to make any of them.

I went to the DeMonyes’ perennial sale a few weeks back, the Historical Society plant sale last weekend, and made a trip out to Baker’s Acres.

I keep forgetting how little space there is in my tiny Victorian Village garden!

Mercurius
    Participant

alison wrote And I think the Chadwick Arboretum sale started today.

I’m actually kinda glad I won’t be able to make any of them.

I went to the DeMonyes’ perennial sale a few weeks back, the Historical Society plant sale last weekend, and made a trip out to Baker’s Acres.

I keep forgetting how little space there is in my tiny Victorian Village garden! Tell me about it sis. I have free daffodils that I am taking to the curb tonight if anyone wants some, stop on by.

BetsyB

thought I would take the time to mention a website my dear dad told me about when designing a garden or in our case redoing our entire yard..

http://www.gardenplans.com

There are some good plans on there that you can either follow to the T or also loosely depending on your taste, however the actual conceptual ideas have been very helpful with how we are looking to layout our backyard.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

NerosNeptune wrote For those of us without access to a yard, I recommend a hydroponics system. I got an Aerogarden as a christmas gift this year and love it. It came with an assortment of herbs (thyme, mint, parsley, basil, chives, something else), and you can buy other seed kits with tomatoes or peppers and such. It automatically turns its grow lights on and off, and reminds you when you need to add water or nutrient tabs.

It’s great for me right now because I have nowhere I could put a garden outside, even if I put it in pots. Hopefully when I move to columbus I’ll have a balcony/patio to do that on, but I would still have the aerogarden for the winter months.

I (heart) my Aerogarden. I’ve got cherry tomatoes growing in it now. They’ve got a special on their website where you can buy 3 Aerogardens, a wall stand/mount for it, and 3 seed kits for like $400ish. Great deal, actually.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: