Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gardening, anyone?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Gardening, anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

I’m trying to set up a small-scale garden in the back of my apartment. I’m looking to grow tomatoes and peppers primarily, with the possibility of other produce if the soil is fertile enough.

I was wondering if anyone had some simple tools that I could borrow to get it going. Maybe a good shovel or two, and something with which to till the soil. All other supplies that I would need to maintain the garden I will eventually buy.

Let me know if anyone could help out! I promise I’ll return everything as I receive it.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

johnaesthetica wrote I’m trying to set up a small-scale garden in the back of my apartment. I’m looking to grow tomatoes and peppers primarily, with the possibility of other produce if the soil is fertile enough.

I was wondering if anyone had some simple tools that I could borrow to get it going. Maybe a good shovel or two, and something with which to till the soil. All other supplies that I would need to maintain the garden I will eventually buy.

Let me know if anyone could help out! I promise I’ll return everything as I receive it.

if you live in the city you should not grow food in the “native” soils…they are polluted with high levels of lead and other heavy metals…it is best to buy soil and grow your tomatoes and peppers in pots…5 gallon buckets work great…columbus used to have a tool lending service….also look into community gardens in your area….

I have been doing some research myself, with the same aim. I found a couple good articles on container gardening. One recommends using a soilless potting mixture. Here is the recipe:

Materials To make 2 bushels

Shredded peat moss 1 bushel

Vermiculite 1 bushel

Ground limestone 1 1⁄4 cups

Superphosphate (0-20-0) 1⁄2 cup

or Superphosphate (0-45-0) 1⁄4 cup

5-10-5 fertilizer 1 cup

Let me know if you want links to the rest of the article and the others I found. They discuss container sizes for different vegetables, varieties that work best in container environments, light requirements of various plants, as well as best times for transplanting and harvesting, etc…

UncommonSense wrote

Let me know if you want links to the rest of the article and the others I found.

Yes, please. I’ll take all the info I can get.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

lazyfish wrote

if you live in the city you should not grow food in the “native” soils…they are polluted with high levels of lead and other heavy metals…it is best to buy soil and grow your tomatoes and peppers in pots…5 gallon buckets work great…columbus used to have a tool lending service….also look into community gardens in your area….

Never hurts to be careful

if anyone wants to test their soil for lead or anything else I can hook ya up, we have an EPA certified lab.

The tests are reasonable as a one time expense for any serious gardener, but not DIRT CHEAP. (HAHA!)

-m

johnaesthetica wrote

UncommonSense wrote

Let me know if you want links to the rest of the article and the others I found.

Yes, please. I’ll take all the info I can get.

[url=http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf708246.tip.html][u]This site[/u][/url] has a link to a PDF from Iowa State on Container Vegetable Gardening, as well as some other links which look promising, though I haven’t checked them yet.

Here’s another link to a PDF on harvesting and planting times:

Click to access PM534.pdf

I think I will use the soilless mix. The advantages are discussed in the first article: “Soilless potting mixes are best for container vegetable

gardening. They have several advantages over soil. Soilless

mixes are free of plant disease organisms and weed seeds,

are less likely to compact, hold moisture and plant nutrients

well, and are lightweight—making the container more

portable.”

I will probably start my seedlings sometime this week. I’m thinking tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce and some herbs as well. Maybe I’ll be more adventurous next year, but I haven’t done any gardening since I was a child helping my grandmother.

Let me know if the links are bad or anything, or keep me posted on your garden’s progress if you want. Good luck!

Mercurius
    Participant

I just made a trip out to Baker’s Acres

Home

I have all the tools anyone needs and will be working on my garden tonight. Just give me a PM to let me know if you need to pick up anything.

BrianG

Merc,

Has anything been planted yet or are you just getting started?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I have been planting container gardens for the past few years, primarily growing different types of peppers and tomatoes. We did containers since we only had balconies and brick patios to garden on. Some years were better than others. I’m sure Anne can give a more detailed lowdown on the highs and lows of our adventures, as she’s the one who did most of the research on this topic.

We’re going to attempt to do an in-ground garden this year, so soil testing is something we need to look into.

Mercurius
    Participant

BrianG wrote Merc,

Has anything been planted yet or are you just getting started?

Just getting started. Sent away for soil testing last week

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/soilandwater/soils/soilsampling/tabid/9074/Default.aspx

And doing bed preparation this week after work. Hoping to plant next weekend.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker wrote

We’re going to attempt to do an in-ground garden this year, so soil testing is something we need to look into.

Trace metals testing is pretty cheap if you just run one sample and only want to test for lead and arsenic and maybe cadmium. The industrial areas here tend to have some lead, the formerly agricultural areas tend to have some arsenic because of historic pesticide use.

Most soils around here are actually ok, but yeah, there is an increase in the probability of lead contamination in the city so its worth it if you’re not sure what your lot was used for historically or what your groundwater has brought in.

-m

Rockmastermike
    Participant

If anyone wants to know, I Just got prices from our lab manager.

$12 per metal tested for except mercury, which is $30. There is a $20 sample prep fee for soil and a $10 fee for water.

so a single soil sample just tested for lead is $32. Lead and Arsenic would be $44.

-m

alison

Mercurius wrote I just made a trip out to Baker’s Acres.

Ahhh. I am an anemic pale green with envy!

I have two gift certificates for Baker’s Acres. Need to steel myself for the drive out there.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Mercurius wrote I just made a trip out to Baker’s Acres

Home

I have all the tools anyone needs and will be working on my garden tonight. Just give me a PM to let me know if you need to pick up anything.

You did not. You DID NOT!!?

Mercurius
    Participant

I’ll be more than happy to go again. It was kinda a spur of the moment trip. Sarah is in California (or one of those pacific bound states they said.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.