Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Game of Thrones

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Game of Thrones

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 855 total)
  • Author

bayrea
    Participant

bastardsuperstar wrote >>
    i liked me some sopranos. a lot.
    but this is so much more “holy shit” on an every week basis. and they’re never cheap “holy shits” . . . they’re well thought through, and perfectly executed.
    and for someone as jaded as myself, i’m gonna pick that everydamntime . . .

so says the bastard son of superstar…

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

. . . pink of hair.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

gramarye
    Participant

That made me LOL.

That said, I recently learned something about George R.R. Martin that has me questioning whether I’m going to read his novels, even though I’m sure they’re interesting. At the very least, it will prevent me from buying them; I may borrow them from the local public library if they become available there. It turns out that he’s an IP fascist/control freak in a similar school to Anne Rice, whom I also refuse to support with any of my dollars. I learned that late in reading this article from Time, which was circulated on a sci-fi mailing list that I’m on.

Most people probably have little reason care about that, but for someone with a fairly sizable fanfiction oeuvre, it rankles.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just finished up the first season last night. Even better than expected, and I’m a newbie to this series being completely unfamiliar with the books.

Great casting, great acting, great production, great story.

I agree with everyone that Tyrion, Arya and Jon Snow are some of the favorites who are easy to root for, but I found myself even wanting to follow the villans and not wish them dead because I really wanted to see how they played out over a longer time. Sad to see Vyserys get killed off for example (even though it was a great way for him to go out) as I thought he was wormy and snake-like enough to keep himself alive for awhile longer.

The comparison to LOST is what got me interested in the show, and I can see a few similarities although the content and the format is completely different. The show is very character-driven, and is more about character relationships and interactions rather than the setting around them. Which is refreshing for something with a medieval/fantasy setting because most of what I’ve watched (tv/movies) in the past is more about epic battles and “chosen one” type missions. I also love the similarity to LOST in that every episode opens up 10 new questions while answering one. The biggest one I’m contemplating right now is the question of who is Jon Snow’s mother? And if that’s already been answered in one of the books, I don’t really want to know right now. ;) Let’s keep the spoilers in line with the show only in this thread.

BastardSuperstar mentioned previously that watching this show on anything less than a large TV would be a crime, and I agree having been watching it on a 27 incher. ;) Really makes me want a large TV. The opening credits are nearly unreadable because the text is so small.

One more comparison to LOST and then I’m done… I read that in the original concept for LOST, Jack Shephard was killed off at the end of the two-hour pilot episode to convey to readers that anyone was fair game. Kate was going to be the main leader of the survivors. Supposedly that didn’t test well with audiences, so they inserted the pilot of Oceanic 815 to be the one killed by the monster so that Jack could continue on. The seemingly premature death of Ned Stark felt like a similar decision and a similar outcome (sounds like a lot of people online were outraged?) but I think the show will be stronger for it.

My only hope for the show is that like LOST (sorry, last one) it continues to grow exponentially in scope, and I get the feeling that’s probably the case as was being outlined in the final episode of this season. A lot of what we’re watching is about the Starks VS Lannisters fight, which will seem trivial compared to a war with the Whitewalkers from the north when they invade.

All in all, a great show, and already looking forward to seasons to come. :D

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

A lot of what we’re watching is about the Starks VS Lannisters fight, which will seem trivial compared to a war with the Whitewalkers from the north when they invade.

That’s what has me on the edge of my seat. I’d watch if it was just the Starks v. Lannisters, but throw in the crazy hot blonde and her dragons…the super scary Walkers and other critters from beyond the wall…and a few rogue elements like a certain lobbyist lookalike…I just have no idea what’s coming next.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I find it interesting how some people have been outraged to certain characters deaths. I think what sometimes people don’t remember to consider is that this is all written out in the books. You can’t just keep Ned alive for the sake of the TV show, and completely re-write the fiction. It was somewhat amusing to see a lot of people screaming, “It’s Sean F***** Bean!!! He’s THE WHOLE SHOW!” which obviously isn’t true.

I’ve only read the first book, but from what I understand there are many more great and far more interesting characters to come, and knowing HBO, I’m sure the casting will be just as stellar. I’m really looking forward to what’s in store for season 2.

KSquared

Coremodels said:
    That’s what has me on the edge of my seat. I’d watch if it was just the Starks v. Lannisters, but throw in the crazy hot blonde and her dragons…the super scary Walkers and other critters from beyond the wall…and a few rogue elements like a certain lobbyist lookalike…I just have no idea what’s coming next.

Oh just wait Core, there is so much more to come. The story is detailed and complex and the characters so mutli-faceted that I hope that comes across in the TV series as well.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Okay, so how did they get away with having a 12 year-old kid suck a woman’s teat on film? How do you even cast for that??

On a related note, Bastardsuperstar was right and I was wrong and this show is amazing. LET IT BE SO WRITTEN!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Smifth27
    Participant

Best show on TV. Once you start watching, you cannot stop. Best character on the show is the Lanaster brother.. I think is name is the IMP.

DavidF
    Participant

Walker said:

Hilarious!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Big congratulations to Peter Dinklage on his Emmy win. Much deserved.

honavery

Season 2.

hajames66
    Participant

I’m almost done with the third book. I don’t want to ruin anything for you, but suffice it to say Mr. Martin loves killing characters….

Can’t wait for season 2!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 855 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION