Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Game of Thrones

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Game of Thrones

This topic contains 854 replies, has 76 voices, and was last updated by  El Diablo Einstein 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 855 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Ermagerd.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RBloodworth
    Participant

“That’s what I do. I drink and I know things.” Yep, that line’s going to be used a few times…

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

so.. ?

Great start to the season IMO. I’m glad they didn’t go right away and revive Jon Snow. This show has made it’s mark by killing off loved characters, it would have felt cheap if he was back to life in the first episode.

My only complaint is it’s pretty hard to jam so many story lines into an hour. Once you start getting into one it’s on the the next. Small complaint, for a show that is still delivering.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

There was very little progress in the story arc. It was more of a “lets remind everyone what was going on when we left” kind of episode.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

There was very little progress in the story arc. It was more of a “lets remind everyone what was going on when we left” kind of episode.

I guess the biggest thing was the Dorne stuff. But that has been maybe my least favorite story line. Sansa meeting up with Brienne is kind of a big deal

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Posole wrote:</div>

I guess the biggest thing was the Dorne stuff. But that has been maybe my least favorite story line. Sansa meeting up with Brienne is kind of a big deal

Yes, this is interesting! Considering that at this point in the books, Brienne is dead, I’m really curious to see where the TV writers take this story line. The Sansa story line is the most original story line to the TV series, and it’s like seeing something new. I kind of like it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

My only complaint is it’s pretty hard to jam so many story lines into an hour. Once you start getting into one it’s on the the next. Small complaint, for a show that is still delivering.

This was one of my biggest problems with that show “Heroes” back in the day. They checked in with every character every episode, so you got little 2-3 minute “check ins” with everyone and none of the plots progressed quickly.

I think GoT handles it better by not checking in with every single character every single time, or at least spending a little more time with some rather than others. Felt like this episode spent more time at The Wall than it did elsewhere.

Characters that this episode did not check in with: Bran/Hodor (who are supposed to return this season), the Greyjoys (who are also supposed to play a bigger role this season), King Tommen, Littlefinger, Sam & Gilly, and Tormund and the Wildlings (although they were mentioned). I’m sure there are other groups/characters that were also left out, but those are off the top of my head.

Yeah, although that’s to be expected of the first episode of the season, especially when there are big events that occur at the end of the last season. You have to spend some time with characters reacting to something big like Jon’s death or Stannis’ death or Daenerys’ capture, or else it feels like those events had no real impact on anyone.

All in all, I thought the episode delivered as expected. Didn’t see the Dorne stuff coming like that. That was probably the biggest surprise.

I will say that I like how the show continues a slow build. Jaime & Cersei are ready to go to war. The Dornish women are ready to go to war. The Boltons are prepping for war. It’s all going to come to a boil sooner or later, but it does feel like we’re just watching the pot and waiting for it slowly right now. ;)

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

I agree with Walker. It seems like this episode is building toward some exciting stuff going on in the North – with a bunch of potential convergences among Sansa & Brienne / Boltons / Jon Snow / Red Lady / Wildlings & Davos / White Walkers / Bran (?) etc

Then the B plot for the season in the south – Martells vs Lannisters. Still don’t love the stuff I’ve seen so far of the Martells left – Ellaria and the Sand Snakes, but we’ll see what happens now that they have the power in Dorne. I def did not see Doran & Trystane getting killed. Jaw dropped

Eugene_C
    Participant

I figured the big sourthen plot was the Tyrells vs the Lannisters. Seemed like they were setting that up after the Tyrells offed Joffrey and then it sort of fizzled and now Margery has been sitting in sinners prison for a while now.

All the stories really could be tighter.

CivilE
    Participant

Yes, this is interesting! Considering that at this point in the books, Brienne is dead, I’m really curious to see where the TV writers take this story line. The Sansa story line is the most original story line to the TV series, and it’s like seeing something new. I kind of like it.

Brienne does not die in the books. As of “A Dance with Dragons” she is last seen approaching Jaime at Pennytree and tells him that she has found Sansa and that he must come alone with her or Sansa will be killed by the Hound (presumably a lie to get him to get him to come alone to Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood.) I’m curious to see if they bother introducing Stoneheart in the series. (After Jon’s resurrection, perhaps?). She has only had a minor appearance in the books, so far, but her interaction with Jaime could be a critical plot point for both Jaime and Brienne.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Posole wrote:</div>

Brienne does not die in the books. As of “A Dance with Dragons” she is last seen approaching Jaime at Pennytree and tells him that she has found Sansa and that he must come alone with her or Sansa will be killed by the Hound (presumably a lie to get him to get him to come alone to Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood.) I’m curious to see if they bother introducing Stoneheart in the series. (After Jon’s resurrection, perhaps?). She has only had a minor appearance in the books, so far, but her interaction with Jaime could be a critical plot point for both Jaime and Brienne.

I was just going to point this out. IIRC, Sansa is still in lying low the Vale under the name Alayne.

I really liked the little scene in last night’s episode where Pod helps Sansa with the fealty oath.

And how about Melisandre? Now we know how she became so powerful and gained so much influence, she’s much older than we thought and has been building power for many years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Then the B plot for the season in the south – Martells vs Lannisters. Still don’t love the stuff I’ve seen so far of the Martells left – Ellaria and the Sand Snakes, but we’ll see what happens now that they have the power in Dorne. I def did not see Doran & Trystane getting killed. Jaw dropped

I didn’t notice this myself, but read somewhere that with Prince Doran killed, and his son Prince Trystane killed, House Martell is technically over as all blood heirs have been killed off in their family tree (unless Doran had other children we’re not aware of).

All of the women left in charge are Sands (bastards) and technically have no true claim to House Martell.

Not sure if that really changes anything in the big picture if the people of Dorne are behind “The Sand Mutiny”, but it will be interesting to see if that comes into play somehow.

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 855 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.