Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Game of Thrones

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Game of Thrones

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 855 total)
  • Author

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

Lena Headey – Drama Supporting Actress

“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

As her brother Tyrion says, “Say what you will of Cersei. She loves her children.” Headey’s character may be conniving and cruel, but she adores her offspring and never was that more evident than in “The Lion and the Rose,” where her first born son Joffrey dies at his own wedding. While she spends most of the screen time smirking and enjoying watching Joffrey torment Tyrion, that all turns on a dime when Joffrey is poisoned. Cersei’s shock, which turns to anguish, is so palpable, it actually reminds you that this ice queen has a heart.

Peter Dinklage – Drama Supporting Actor

“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

Though Dinklage had a banner year as Tyrion Lannister, it’s no surprise he chose to submit “The Laws of God and Man” as his Emmy episode. On trial for the murder of his nephew Joffrey, Tyrion truly faces a range of feelings in this hour. Borderline glib at first, he can handle his sister and father trying to have him sentenced, but he finally crumbles when his love Shea testifies against him. This prompts one of the best monologues of the series, as he denounces his family and his city, and demands trial by combat.

http://variety.com/gallery/road-to-the-emmys-supporting-actress-actor/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So… I started on the first book today, and blew through the first 90 pages or so fairly quickly. I figured at around 800 pages, that would mean each episode of season one should be around 80 pages, and sure enough, Bran fell from the tower right around that spot.

I know this thread isn’t a book-versus-show thread, and I don’t intend to make it one, but thought it might be worth pointing out a few things for folks who are show-centric first and foremost like me. I don’t even plan to read books beyond where the show is at, and see the books more along the lines of supplemental reading material (sort of like reading episode recaps or GoT wiki entries).

First… kudos to the creators of the show for the pilot episode. It’s basically a word-for-word and scene-for-scene telling of the first few chapters of the book. They brought it to life so incredibly well, and I don’t think they really omitted anything or added anything beyond the slightest small details.

Secondly, knowing what I now know from the show, it’s quite interesting to read everything from the start again. It’s almost like a second viewing. When the news broke at Winterfell that Jon Arynn had died, there were a few conversations about Lysa and how she fled King’s Landing in a hurry. Most assumed she was distraught at the death of her husband, but we now know that she was actually responsible for it. So that makes for an interesting second pass.

Another example of that was when the dead direwolf was found (where all the pups came from for the Stark children) and Ned checked it to find an antler branch stuck in its neck, which had killed it. I don’t recall thinking anything of it at the time, but now it reads like foreshadowing since the Stark sigil is the direwolf and the Baratheon sigil is a stag. Robert bringing Ned to King’s Landing ultimately leads to his death (leaving all of his children behind, just like the dead direwolf mother), which also was a death via neck-wound. ;)

Lastly, I think it’s been mentioned in this thread at some point in the past in relation to Dany, but George RR Martin mentions the age of most all of his main characters so far, and it always surprises me as they all are shifted older for the show. Jon Snow is 14? Ned Stark is 35? Dany is 13? Bwa? So weird. I’m happy they shifted older for the show. Would have been strange.

Ok. That’s it for now. ;)

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Lastly, I think it’s been mentioned in this thread at some point in the past in relation to Dany, but George RR Martin mentions the age of most all of his main characters so far, and it always surprises me as they all are shifted older for the show. Jon Snow is 14? Ned Stark is 35? Dany is 13? Bwa? So weird. I’m happy they shifted older for the show. Would have been strange.

Strange and illegal! Danny was aged up for obvious legal reasons…

The books really hit home that Danny and Robb (16) are really just kids playing at the game of thrones. The youth and inexperience is a huge factor in the books and I don’t think it comes through as well on the show.

For Robb especially, him forsaking his promise to the Freys and marrying someone else is much more plausible in the books as the brash, youthful impulse of a 16 year old. Show Robb has too much world-weary gravitas! Danny is similar, she is very young and yet has to deal with scads of people of questionable motivation who all want something from her.

Also, unfortunately you’re going to have trouble reading just whats been on the show. The first season follows the book closely, but after that it jumps around a lot. See this chart:

http://i.imgur.com/lceExOP.jpg

Welcome to the deep end!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The youth and inexperience is a huge factor in the books and I don’t think it comes through as well on the show.

I don’t think that gets lost in the show at all. You can be 30 years old and still be young and inexperienced in life. Robb and Danny have always been surrounded by older advisors who regularly remind(ed) them (and the audience) that there are much bigger things to think about than their own smaller world view.

I’m not positive in the show, but Dany felt like she was supposed to be 18-ish and Robb maybe early-20s, which still feel young enough to me.

A Game of Thrones Tween Edition doesn’t seem realistic to me. ;)

Josh_W
    Participant

Life expectancy and marrying age were a lot different 1000, or even 200 years ago – there’s a reason most traditional coming-of-age (to marry) rites happen in the 13-16 year range. Today, sexualized tweens are considered tragic (outside the pageant circuit), but it wasn’t always so.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Life expectancy and marrying age were a lot different 1000, or even 200 years ago – there’s a reason most traditional coming-of-age (to marry) rites happen in the 13-16 year range. Today, sexualized tweens are considered tragic (outside the pageant circuit), but it wasn’t always so.

I get that. So not to sound strange, but it’s not the sexualization that bothers me with the ages (mainly because I haven’t encountered too much of that in the book yet). It’s the fact that I’m supposed to root for or identify with children who are 13/14 years old and capable of commanding armies and making important decisions. ;)

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Its a matter of degree. Look at the battle on the wall this last season. Jon Snow takes command by default, repels the wildling invasion, and then bravely marches forth alone with the goal to parlay/assassinate the grizzled old king beyond the wall. The book Jon is only 14, but the actor who plays him is 27. That’s a huge difference. A 27 year old is young and inexperienced, but could plausibly maybe-kinda-sorta be a credible leader in that situation. A 14 year old, on the other hand, drives home the remarkably fragile state of the night watch. The show does well with that, but the book Jon has all this responsibility on the shoulders of someone who would be a high school freshman in our world!

On a lighter note (depending on your perspective), this is my favorite article regarding inexperienced leaders and older advisers :)

http://www.salon.com/2000/08/02/bush_cover/

Chrysee
    Participant

Oh Walker! :( You poor thing. Look what you’ve done to yourself.

The books are fantastic and I read them long before the pilot was greenlit. Up until maybe the end of book 2/season 2, you can read them side by side as supplements for each other. After that, things go to hell really quickly. The show is wonderful and so are the books, but they are distinctly different at this point. If you enjoy the books, reading ahead won’t really “spoil” the show for you at this point. But it would take a loooong time to read that far anyway.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A 14 year old, on the other hand, drives home the remarkably fragile state of the night watch. The show does well with that, but the book Jon has all this responsibility on the shoulders of someone who would be a high school freshman in our world!

I guess I’m just unable to suspend my disbelief for that. ;)

Chrysee
    Participant

Without getting too much into it, the author admits the very young ages to be somewhat of a mistake. There was originally a planned time jump of several years that didn’t end up happening, so they were to be a bit older at some point.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well, I think it works well with the show. Watching the kids grow up adds to it IMHO. ;)

NerosNeptune
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh_W wrote:</div>

I get that. So not to sound strange, but it’s not the sexualization that bothers me with the ages (mainly because I haven’t encountered too much of that in the book yet). It’s the fact that I’m supposed to root for or identify with children who are 13/14 years old and capable of commanding armies and making important decisions. ;)

I know what you mean especially after reading Ender’s Game, which is even worse with that. I spent the first 90% of the book thinking, why the hell are these people not just commanding their space army themselves instead of waiting for some 6 year old kid to get training?

Just got Game of Thrones on my kindle through the library.. hopefully I can finish the thing within the borrowing window!

Jman4ever
    Participant

Because traumatizing adults by killing of beloved characters isn’t enough….

George RR Martin to write children’s book about Westeros

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Game Of Thrones actor dies days after filming first scenes
    By Sean O’Neal @seanoneal Aug 11, 2014 11:55 AM

Irish actor J.J. Murphy, an 88-year-old recently cast in Game Of Thrones’ fifth season, died just four days after shooting his first scenes, according to the Belfast Telegraph. Murphy was playing Ser Denys Mallister, an elder member of the Night’s Watch and commander of the Shadow Tower, and had just completed work on his first scenes when he suddenly collapsed and died last Friday.

READ MORE: http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-actor-dies-days-after-filming-first-s-208001

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 855 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: