Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

2015 Gahanna Mayoral Race

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics 2015 Gahanna Mayoral Race

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

lukebauman
    Participant

This is my new favorite thread.

gramarye
    Participant

First I’ve heard of this, but my initial reaction was actually sympathetic to Gergley simply because I had no idea who he was before I saw the Stonewall Democrats (Ryan Jolley and I were in USG together at OSU and he’s a Facebook friend of mine) calling for him to withdraw from a race after finishing first in the primary. Also, of course, there are substantive issues in play, regardless of how much everyone loves a good scandal. Gergley, at least as far as I could tell from the news, is the only major candidate who campaigned against the proposed city income-tax hike. If the Democrats force him out because of his incendiary social media history, it will conveniently remove the de facto leader (by virtue of a five-point primary plurality victory) of the opposition to that tax increase.

RedStorm
    Participant

“Character – who you are when no one is watching.” Joseph Gergley thought no one was watching. The Internet never forgets, though.

I do have a question unrelated to the social media posts. Why is a 26-year old the leading vote getter in a primary election for mayor of a city with over 30,000 residents? The guy barely has any life or work experience that would lead me to believe he’d be a good candidate to lead a city that large. Is it as simple as no one else is interested in running (which isn’t true since there were multiple candidates)? Just putting the social media fiasco aside, why is this kid even considered a serious candidate?

gramarye
    Participant

There have been U.S. Congressmen elected, even in recent times when 25 isn’t considered old anymore (and when House districts are close to 750,000 people), at close to the Constitutional minimum age of 25. Sight unseen, since I really don’t know anything about Gergley other than the worst of his social media history and the highlight of his platform, I’ll guess that he comes from a politically active family and therefore has the advantage of early exposure and mentorship. (I have absolutely no evidence for that whatsoever, but that’s been the pattern I’ve seen with young campaigners. For example, the Ohio General Assembly representative of my district here in Akron is 29, but she’s the daughter of two people who were themselves representatives.)

Another example, the youngest I’m aware of: I saw someone elected to the Dublin school board (not the mayoralty, of course, but still a fairly weighty organization with a significant budget) at age 18.

bjamis
    Participant

Nobody knows anything about Gergley’s qualifications. I have to assume it is because he has none. He has graduated from college and works in distribution for a deli meat company, he opposed the tax increase. Not exactly the resume I’d like to see for our next mayor.

He wants to encourage business investment in the city and improve the infrastructure (who doesn’t want that?)…he gives no explanation of how he intends to do so.

The only reason he got as many votes as he did in the primary is due to his plastering all his campaign literature with “Republican” and “Fiscal Conservative”. 2/3 of the vote was against him.

Considering his immaturity, lack of experience and poor judgment it should be of no surprise that the kid still lives in his parents house.

RedStorm
    Participant

In 2013 Joe lead the charge against the proposed 66% income tax increase for workers in the city of Gahanna.

From his website – http://www.gergleyformayor.com/about-joe

“It feels phenomenal to win,” Gergley told ThisWeek. Tuesday night. “It feels even better to know we did it the right way. We ran an issues-oriented campaign. We took the high road. I want to thank everyone who voted for me. We’re going to restore pride in Gahanna.”

He said he would promote and fight for policies that would result in economic growth and property-value increases.

Unlike each of my opponents, who have supported the failed liberal policies of the past, I’ve proposed common-sense conservative alternatives by advocating for specifically allocated funding for capital improvements, proposing a comprehensive school-impact study for any new developments and offering a plan to transition City Hall from a bureaucratic structure to a business-based model,” Gergley said.

From – http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2015/05/05/gahanna-mayoral-race.html

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Of course, part of the problem with all of this…the mayoral race is chartered as non-partisan.

gramarye
    Participant

The Gahanna Charter can deny reality, but it doesn’t change the reality. Ohio Supreme Court elections are ostensibly nonpartisan, too. And I approve of that formality, but I don’t have rose-colored glasses about how much that actually eliminates partisanship in the campaigns.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The Gahanna Charter can deny reality, but it doesn’t change the reality. Ohio Supreme Court elections are ostensibly nonpartisan, too. And I approve of that formality, but I don’t have rose-colored glasses about how much that actually eliminates partisanship in the campaigns.

Right, but this guy ran an incredibly partisan campaign…not just based on traditionally partisan ideas, he actually ran as a partisan candidate.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Gergley is the vice president of the “Gahanna Freedom Alliance” tea party group.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

Gergley is the vice president of the “Gahanna Freedom Alliance” tea party group.

Whaaaaa …? But he seems like a closed-minded tool.

Oh, I see what you’re saying.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Mayor mom does my laundry.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

My favorite part of the “Take Back Gahanna” page is all the straight white people accepting his apology for his racist, homophobic tweets.

Its awesome they can overcome.

RedStorm
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/05/14/gahanna-twitter-watcher-defends-actions.html

Looks like the whole “my opponent leaked these to throw attention off my success” excuse is moot.

News
    Participant

Gergley, Kneeland square off for mayoral post
    Thursday October 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Gahanna residents will elect a new mayor next month. Mayor Becky Stinchcomb announced in July 2014 that she wouldn’t seek re-election. Her term ends Jan. 2, 2016.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/gahanna/news/2015/10/21/gergley-kneeland-square-off-for-mayoral-post.html

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: