Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Gadsden Flag Defended by ACLU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Gadsden Flag Defended by ACLU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

kit444
    Participant

Holy colliding political narratives!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38929429/ns/politics-the_new_york_times/

“The Avalon Village Community Association, which sent the letter, takes a strict interpretation of the state statute that allows Arizonans the right to fly a variety of flags — the Stars and Stripes, the state flag, flags representing Indian nations as well as the official flags of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. …

The Arizona law, says the homeowners’ association butting heads with Mr. McDonel, does not give residents authorization to fly anything else on their properties. That means no pennants bearing sports team logos, no Jolly Rogers, no rainbow banners celebrating gay pride and no historic flags showing a coiled rattlesnake bearing its fangs.”

Some of these homeowners’ associations seem power-hungry to me. I understand the merit of certain standards to protect property values, but I think there’s a distinct line between keeping the guy from putting his car up on cinder blocks in the front yard and forcing his conformity to an approved image.

Tenzo
    Participant

Well you have to think about housing values.
    It’s been reported many times on this blog that Columbus homes have low property values. I attribute that to all the OSU flags.

HeySquare
    Participant

Damn… and y’all think the historic districts are strict… :) Even I don’t agree with preventing people from flying banners and flags.

SusanB
    Participant

And I keep trying to get all the gays in my neighborhood to put up Pride flags!

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

SusanB
    Participant

I know a lot of folks in Olde Town who feel that that film was a hatchet job on the gay community there. I’ll just say that the film has a very strong point of view.

howatzer
    Participant

I used to have one of these on our house. Someone stole it. Didn’t touch the stars and stripes I had above it.

I just hope they needed it more than I did.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

SusanB wrote >>
    I know a lot of folks in Olde Town who feel that that film was a hatchet job on the gay community there. I’ll just say that the film has a very strong point of view.

It certainly painted a harsh picture of Carriage Trade –and I could well understand if they feel they were thrown under the bus just to prove a point. And even given that I consider Baba a personal friend and mentor, I would still say the filmmakers largely treated him with kid gloves.

But I can personally vouch for the accuracy of the whole sign debacle. How can you move into a neighborhood and start issuing orders to someone who has been there for thirty years? And why wouldn’t you treat the local representatives of art and culture with respect?

If there’s one thing I’ve observed in the whole urban renewal, it’s that some people do it with respect for the people and culture that have been there over the long term, and some do it with contempt.

SusanB
    Participant

If there’s one thing I’ve observed in the whole urban renewal, it’s that some people do it with respect for the people and culture that have been there over the long term, and some do it with contempt.

+1

pilsner
    Participant

The ACLU also defended druggie Limbaugh’s privacy rights to doctor shop for hillbilly heroin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: