Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

rory said:
    According to the neighborhood name flowchart this was in Weinland Park since it involved a crime and was north of 11th Avenue but south of the northern alley on Chittenden. If there was a rainbow and elves involved it would be in the University District. South of 11th Avenue if there is crime it’s in Weinland Park and if it was something good it’s located in the Short North. A gun crime anywhere in the city can usually be pinned on Weinland Park regardless of its actual location. It’s complicated and hard for even residents to keep up.

It wasn’t my intention to split hairs over neighborhood boundaries and districts. I was simply going by this map when I suggested Chittenden was in the University District. Obviously by that representation, a lot of Weiland Park is in the University District. I can’t vouch for the origin, provenance or accuracy of the map, but it seems reasonable to suggest that Weiland Park is a neighborhood at least partly within the larger University District.

My larger point was that I find it disingenuous (and a little suspicious) when news agencies report on crimes around campus and manage to do it without ever mentioning “campus”, “the campus area”, “Ohio State” or “the University District”. 10TV seems to do this a lot (as I’ve noted earlier in this thread); opting for the more generic “norht side”.

When I’m in a conspiracy theory kind of mood, I attribute this brand of innaccurate reporting to pressure from OSU, who would logically prefer to see crime around the University District under-reported, lest parents think twice about sending their kids there.

That said, I think we both want the same thing, that news outlets report accurately where events ocured without consideration of an area’s image, reputation, or political clout.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    When I watched the news last night, ch10 identified the area as the campus area, had a big map on the screen saying it was the campus area. The renters of the apartment in question and the random locals they interviewed talking about how all their crap gets stolen all the time all identified as students.

not sure what more you guys want, here. Unless they got brutus buckeye and the OSU marching band in on the story it couldn’t be more clearly a story about the OSU “campus area”.

I suspect the story was released before it was actually finalized by the news staff or some such and it was later ‘fixed’ as you mentioned.

If that was the first time 10TV had neglected to mention OSU or the campus area when reporting on campus area crime I’d be a lot more forgiving, but it’s not (see my previous posts in this very thread).

Plus, the entirity of Chittenden Ave is located in the University District. There’s no excuse for calling it “north side”, even in an early run.

cc

Speaking of all this, does anyone happen to remember the URL to the nieghborhood guide that Columbusite made before he moved to Minneapolis?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cc said:
    Speaking of all this, does anyone happen to remember the URL to the nieghborhood guide that Columbusite made before he moved to Minneapolis?

He completely took down his website. Didn’t realize he was moving to Minneapolis though. Must have been recent because I was seeing him around almost every week for just about forever…

http://minneapolisite.wordpress.com

Looking forward to following his transformation between being in love with Minneapolis to complaining about everything constantly. ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jeff_r said:
    Plus, the entirity of Chittenden Ave is located in the University District. There’s no excuse for calling it “north side”, even in an early run.

not true. It intersects Cleveland Ave. It’s not continuous anymore though.

Cookie

Rockmastermike said:
    not true. It intersects Cleveland Ave. It’s not continuous anymore though.

Are you sure you’re not thinking of 11th?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Cookie said:
    Are you sure you’re not thinking of 11th?

I just double checked it on google maps to be sure. It’s just south of 12th ave and north of 11th. the road actually jogs and intersects cleveland ave at two places (one east, one west)

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    I just double checked it on google maps to be sure. It’s just south of 12th ave and north of 11th. the road actually jogs and intersects cleveland ave at two places (one east, one west)

I stand corrected. 10TV was right.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Someone got shot in two areas simultaneously last night: South Columbus (according to NBC4i) and the Near East Side (according to 10TV).

The actual location: http://g.co/maps/xkdpa

SusanB
    Participant

Usually every crime south of 70 is “on the South Side”. Although the incident Walker is referring to is clearly on the South Side. I just hate it when someone is shot in Galloway or on Sullivant Ave and the news calls it the “South Side”.

BCNation
    Participant

Channels 4, 6/28, and 10…

STOP saying the Near East Side if the shooting is on the Southeast Side or in the Linden area. Those are NOT the Near East Side. It’s getting. The Near East Side is between, I-71, I-670, Alum Creek, and Livingston (or 70). Get the facts straight.

News
    Participant

The original version of this article (it’s since been updated/corrected) listed this shooting as being “Near Downtown”:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/10/10/columbus-miller-avenue-shooting.html

It’s 3 miles from Broad & High. Technically closer to Bexley. Yeesh.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The original version of this article (it’s since been updated/corrected) listed this shooting as being “Near Downtown”:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/10/10/columbus-miller-avenue-shooting.html

It’s 3 miles from Broad & High. Technically closer to Bexley. Yeesh.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

10TV reporting someone shot “Near Downtown”, which is actually a mile outside of Downtown…

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/04/13/columbus-atcheson-street-double-shooting.html

If someone were shot a mile outside of Bexley or Upper Arlington or Dublin or Easton, you can be sure the headline would say “East Columbus” or “North Columbus” or whatever, and not “Near Dublin” or “New UA”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Shooting last night in “North Columbus” / “Just North of Downtown” according to ABC6, which actually occurred in Milo-Grogan west of 71:

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/one-dead-another-hospitalized-after-overnight-shooting-35436.shtml#.VCQzdkvjPwK

Does this mean that “the powers that be” in Milo-Grogan have so much more influence on the local media that they’re able to disassociate this shooting with their neighborhood and attach it to Downtown instead?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION