Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

cc

Nitsud Regnifloh wrote >>
    I simply imagine a quadrant running up and down High St. and along Broad. anything East of High is EAST, anything West of High is WEST. right? North and South, use Broad.

I have to agree. I think they generally use the naming convention based on the Columbus street grid.

I have friends who wonder why Westerville is east of High street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But do you think that would be descriptive enough for this type of reporting?

If I see an article headline about an incident on the “east side” I check to see if there is any proximity to my home. When I find out that the incident occurred anywhere from 3 to 10 miles away from my house, I feel like I’ve wasted my time. Meanwhile, those labels continue to contain a negative connotation while not really being descriptive at all.

There’s got to be a more accurate way to describe locations for these types of things.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

but Walker. isn’t 3-10 miles from your home still your ‘hood? I live in Whitehall, about 6 miles from downtown, but I would consider downtown and even Short North happenings to be read-worthy. I would also like to know what happens in the areas I drive through on my way in. King Lincoln, OTE, Bexley…

somertimeoh
    Participant

Do the less than informative, generic descriptions follow suit for positive stories? If so it’s a wash, right? If good stuff (does the media cover good stuff anymore, who knows?) gets the formal labeling then it seems there might be some thought put in to it.

tbaxter

but Walker. isn’t 3-10 miles from your home still your ‘hood? I live in Whitehall, about 6 miles from downtown, but I would consider downtown and even Short North happenings to be read-worthy. I would also like to know what happens in the areas I drive through on my way in. King Lincoln, OTE, Bexley…

5-10 miles from my home is not MY ‘hood. I’m in east Hilliard…so that would mean OSU, Arlington, Worthington, Dublin, Grove City, Clintonville, Northland, etc. are my hoods. They are not, as there are other dividing lines as well (the Scioto, 270, 70, 33, 315)

It may be read-worthy, but it isn’t worry-worthy.

cc

I think a lot of times they use general terms to get you to read/listen/watch further… (ie a hook).

rus
    rus
    Participant

cc wrote >>

I simply imagine a quadrant running up and down High St. and along Broad. anything East of High is EAST, anything West of High is WEST. right? North and South, use Broad.

I have to agree. I think they generally use the naming convention based on the Columbus street grid.
    I have friends who wonder why Westerville is east of High street.

Westerville is odd all by it’s self. It’s “downtown” is called “uptown”.

Weird.

It’s odd, but I always thought of 70/71/670 and 23 as the dividing lines, with “downtown” as centered on broad and high.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

you’re all racists!

oops, wrong thread.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    you’re all racists!
    oops, wrong thread.

You GEOGRAPHICAL BIGOT!!

right thread?

They can always consult my neighborhood guide. The city of Milwaukee commissioned the Milwaukee Neighborhood Identification Project to do what I, and previously Cyclist II, single-handedly accomplished. I’m guessing most reporters don’t live in the city and could care less about it.

Just FYI, I’ve seen homes several blocks east of GV over in Southern Orchards advertised as GV rentals. It works in favor of unscrupulous landlords who think they can fool newbies to the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

tbaxter wrote >>

5-10 miles from my home is not MY ‘hood. I’m in east Hilliard…so that would mean OSU, Arlington, Worthington, Dublin, Grove City, Clintonville, Northland, etc. are my hoods. They are not, as there are other dividing lines as well (the Scioto, 270, 70, 33, 315)
    It may be read-worthy, but it isn’t worry-worthy.

That’s pretty much what I was going to say. I’m a bit of a newshound, so I like to keep up with what’s going on all over the city, but when it comes to crime, I’m more concerned with where my family lives rather than some place 5 miles away that has little day-to-day impact on us. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who feels that way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Do the less than informative, generic descriptions follow suit for positive stories? If so it’s a wash, right? If good stuff (does the media cover good stuff anymore, who knows?) gets the formal labeling then it seems there might be some thought put in to it.

TV media does little in the way of covering “good news”, which is where this type of generic labeling seems most prominent locally.

Anyway, I haven’t noticed so much of an issue with incorrect/misleading locations in “good stories” but I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not paying as close of attention or if they don’t really use those types of generic neighborhood terms in those “cat rescued from a tree” kind of stories.

AMEEKER
    Participant

I’m just starting to get involved with the Fifth by Northwest Area Commission (you know – essential NOT Grandview, NOT UA, NOT Campus, NOT…), and as you can imagine, everyone around here wants to be in the “Grandview” area.

I’m surprised by the number of mentions of businesses or happenings in the Grandview area that are not in Grandview at all. Graffiti Burger Grandview, what with it’s sign that even says Grandview, is neither on Grandview Ave, nor in Grandview.

There is a decent pizza thread going now here on CU about all of the pizza joints in Grandview. Except that none of them are in Grandview – they’re all in 5xnw. (Talked about it tonight at a commission meeting, btw – was told that’s because back in the day the Italians weren’t welcomed in Grandview, so you see this dividing line of Italian restaurants just outside of Gview. Interesting.) I digress.

The new skatepark that opened in the Grandview area – 5xnw. The Bride’s Bootcamp moving to Habeeba’s in Grandview – 5xnw.

It’s not always the bad areas of town that get mislabeled – sometime’s it comes from those who want to associate themselves with more desirable parts of town, as well.

cc

Massey’s will be in Grandview :) (also Pharoahs – good cheap eats) … I do think that a lot of the amenities of Grandview are in Grandview. This includes the library (unquestionably awesome), highschool events, the pool and the ever present Grandview police – who seem to cruise outside of Grandview.

I think the problem with 5xNw(?) is a lack of branding and a poor choice in names. At 5th and Northwest there is a defunct used auto dealership, a UDF, a Chipotle, and a Mark Pi’s…

AMEEKER
    Participant

CC- I meant the ones in that thread that are already open. Sorry about that. ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE