Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Frustration with Inaccurate/Misleading Geographic Locations in Media Reporting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t want to derail the “Skate Naked” thread any further, so I figured this topic was one worth spinning off. I posted there earlier today:

Walker wrote >>

I’m usually annoyed for the opposite reason and get bothered when crime stories have inaccurate or misleading location information. I’ve seen shootings reported as “near Downtown” that have happened a mile southeast of Children’s Hospital and shootings on the “east side” that are closer to Reynoldsburg than they are Olde Towne East. These generic terms do little to define various areas around town.

I’ve often wondered if there needs to be some sort of AP-esque styleguide for Columbus/neighborhood location definitions to use by all local media.

And tonight I stumbled upon a perfect example of this problem:

10TV: Man Shot While On East Side Street

Bad news for anyone who lives on the “East Side” right?

Well, the story goes on to say that this happened on Morrill Avenue, which essentially runs from High Street to 20th St (three blocks east of Parsons). So Morrill essentially runs between Merion Village and Hungarian Village. The exact location wasn’t given, but if it did occur east of Parsons, perhaps that is why it’s listed as the “East Side” although I’d argue that it’s more accurately a part of the “South Side”.

Either way, this example isn’t being used to beat up on the South Side or Merion Village or anything (I’ve seen plenty of “South Side” issues that were inaccurately mislabeled as well)… just pointing out how frustrating these common inaccuracies can be.

Most people want to know where these types of incidents are taking place, and I think it’s time for a more consistently accurate way of reporting that information. Otherwise, specific generic terms like “east side” “west side” “north side” and “south side” will always have a consistently and inaccurately unsavory connotation to them.

Thoughts?

racheltb
    Participant

Sometimes I think the “___ side” locations are given to indicate “not in a suburb”. Maybe they figure most viewers don’t know smaller distrcits like peach or merion village or maybe even clintonville… Media could at least choose the proper cardinal direction.

And the lack of mentioning the crime that happens in suburbs. Or not showing suspects in suburbs but willing to show those in urban areas with descriptions, and pictures. #petpeeve

racheltb wrote >>
    Sometimes I think the “___ side” locations are given to indicate “not in a suburb”. Maybe they figure most viewers don’t know smaller distrcits like peach or merion village or maybe even clintonville… Media could at least choose the proper cardinal direction.

All I’ve been hearing is Clintonville break-ins and arsons for the past month. Its gut wrenching.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

racheltb wrote >>
    Sometimes I think the “___ side” locations are given to indicate “not in a suburb”.

Exactly. Although it’s peculiar when many locations on the far ____ sides have more in common with their neighboring suburbs than they do with their Near ____ side urban counterparts that they’re usually associated with.

SusanB
    Participant

Walker, Morrill runs between Merion Village and Vassar Village. Just saying :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oops, yes. My mistake on that part. The news article left me confused. :P

rory
    Participant

I’ve mentioned this before I think but Fox 28 covered the Weinland Park Mobility Plan public meeting last July and the tag line was, “Columbus’ most dangerous neighborhood tries to take back the streets”. Right, taking back the streets from commuters from Clintonville. No mention of two-way street conversion, bike paths, cross walks etc. The whole story was about crime. Not that it’s not an issue but it wasn’t what the meeting was about.

And when the guy shot up the University District on 17th last year one station covered the story from Weinland Park. They could have stayed in the station parking lot for that one and reduced their carbon footprint.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

There seems to be a reluctance on the part of 10TV to identify the University District in their crime reports. They usually go with the more generic “north side”. Here, Tuttle Park gets the 10TV “north side” treatment:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Police were investigating whether a man arrested for exposing himself to women at a north side park is connected to an attack at another park.

Full Story

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

rory wrote >>
    And when the guy shot up the University District on 17th last year one station covered the story from Weinland Park. They could have stayed in the station parking lot for that one and reduced their carbon footprint.

That’s another one where 10TV went with “north side” in their coverage!

1919 North Fourth = North Side in 10TV land.

I’ve become so cynical that I just assume they’re either being pressured by OSU or paid by OSU to report that way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s another story using “North Side” (from NBC4) that looks to actually be in Linden:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/apr/29/4-stabbed-fight-transporting-medic-involved-hit-ru-ar-63702/

I’d love to know what the boundaries are for the north, south, east and west or if this is a judgment call made up on the fly by reporters and editors.

joev
    Participant

I notice often that most crimes that occur south of Livingston and east of the Scioto River are labeled as “German Village.” It wouldn’t be a huge concern for me, but countless posters on the Dispatch’s forums seem to believe that going to German Village means that you should expect to be robbed, raped and murdered, and that Mayor Coleman will be behind it.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m in “northwest Columbus” or the “northwest side” which seems to be bounded by High Street, Fifth Avenue, and 270, beyond which is “far northwest” if not “Dublin” or the more generic “Dublin-area” or maybe “Hilliard.”

They don’t seem to use “Upper Arlington” for much outside of old Arlington itself.

tbaxter

My husband and I are constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge that reporters have of the city. I notice the ‘east’ reference, when it isn’t a near east neighborhood, and the northwest references as well. Hilliard is often refered to as the far west side.

Another thing they have a problem with is referencing I-270. I-270 and 33 meet up south of the city by Groveport, as well as north in Dublin. The same with 270/71 and 270/70. Can they not give us the side of town? Especially helpful when there is an accident.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

I simply imagine a quadrant running up and down High St. and along Broad. anything East of High is EAST, anything West of High is WEST. right? North and South, use Broad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION