Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Friend considering buying a condo by Sam's Club on Rome Hilliard

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Friend considering buying a condo by Sam's Club on Rome Hilliard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author

SusanB
    Participant

70k can get her a lovely turnkey house in Hungarian Village.

susank

I saw this and felt I needed to post. I lived in that area for a couple of years when I first came to Columbus. It is safe in a suburban way. I did like that there is so much to do within a 5 minute drive. There is a movie theater, restaurants, Target, Wal-mart, grocery stores, chain retail stores, a gym, etc – all very close. It is also very easy to get on the highway.

You will not be walking. While you may think it is possible, it just doesn’t feel safe, especially in the evenings. Walking across parking lots and cutting through streets at night can be scary. That said, as a single female, I drove in the evenings and at night when I lived in the Short North. Since I work during the daylight hours, evenings still ended up being short car hops even though the Short North is much more walkable.

I also have been looking at buying a home. I think if I were her I would consider another realtor or entertain the idea of saving a little more for a larger down payment to secure a larger search range. I agree that the realtor may just be trying to stay realistic in a vanilla way with her initial wishlist.

Again, I liked Sweetwater (that’s what they call the area) when I lived there. It has a lot of young people transitioning between school and buying single family homes. Personally, I would rent there, but would not consider buying a condo in the area. As others are saying a suburban condo is probably not a good investment.

rus
    rus
    Participant

susank said:
    I saw this and felt I needed to post. I lived in that area for a couple of years. It is safe in a suburban way. I did like that there is so much to do within a 5 minute drive. There is a movie theater, restaurants, Target, Wal-mart, grocery stores, chain retail stores, a gym, etc – all very close. It is also very easy to get on the highway.

You will not be walking. While you may think it is possible, it just doesn’t feel safe, especially in the evenings. Walking across parking lots and cutting through streets at night can be scary. That said, as a single female, I drove in the evenings and at night when I lived in the Short North. Since I work during the daylight hours, evenings still ended up being short car hops even though the Short North is much more walkable.

I also have been looking at buying a home. I think if I were her I would consider another realtor or entertain the idea of saving a little more for a larger down payment to secure a larger search range. I agree that the realtor may just be trying to stay realistic in a vanilla way with her initial wishlist.

Again, I liked Sweetwater (that’s what they call the area) when I lived there. It has a lot of young people transitioning between school and buying single family homes. Personally, I would rent there, but would not consider buying a condo in the area .

You know, that’s a good point. If you’re going to drive anyway, why not live in an area conducive to that?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

susank said:
    I did like that there is so much to do within a 5 minute drive. There is a movie theater, restaurants, Target, Wal-mart, grocery stores, chain retail stores, a gym, etc – all very close. It is also very easy to get on the highway.

That describes pretty much all of Columbus. ;) There’s things to do within a five minute drive of anywhere, and easy highway access is pretty common as well.

cbus11

Walker said:
    That describes pretty much all of Columbus. ;) There’s things to do within a five minute drive of anywhere, and easy highway access is pretty common as well.

Probably the number one reason to live in the SN is that your car is already parked. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    What does that mean? ;) just curious…

Similar to what susank said. On a pretty busy road (that was just widen) with few areas to cross and the expansive parking lots with very little shelter/shade, the walkability of HR is less conducive then SN or Grandview.

bjx
    Participant

If time is not of the essence and she is really set on moving there, tell her to rent somewheres around HR Rd. for a short period. She will get an idea of day-to-day life without the full commitment and a better idea of where she may want to live. Condos come and go so she probably won’t be losing out on any deal that cannot be substituted.

That whole area sucks though. Those stores and stuff seem like a convenience that may not actually be frequented enough to be worthwhile, like getting a pool installed or something, especially if she is price conscious and she ends up driving elsewhere for better deals. I have had to go there a few times but traffic has been pretty terrible each time. Also the people in Hilliard tend to be slack-jawed rubes which would also affect my decision to not move there.

melikecheese
    Participant

I kinda agree with bjx.

I have worked in the area for over 5 years. The whole HR section is pretty boring and gets old real fast. The recent boom of new places to eat is nice, its getting better, but its chain heaven.

geoyui
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    The whole HR section is pretty boring and gets old real fast. The recent boom of new places to eat is nice, its getting better, but its chain heaven.

It is a very suburban, family-centric area. Along with the chains, it has meijers, sams club, walmart, giant eagle, target and krogers for your grocery needs, all within a 1 mile stretch.

rus
    rus
    Participant

geoyui said:
    It is a very suburban, family-centric area.

Which probably means the average CUer will passionately hate it.

FoodFort
    Participant

bjx said:
    If time is not of the essence and she is really set on moving there, tell her to rent somewheres around HR Rd. for a short period. She will get an idea of day-to-day life without the full commitment and a better idea of where she may want to live. Condos come and go so she probably won’t be losing out on any deal that cannot be substituted.

Typically when you buy a condo in an area like that which is oversaturated, you get stuck in it and either sell at a loss or have to rent it out to someone. Based on where your friend has lived before – I agree have her rent for a year in the sare so she can come to her senses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    Similar to what susank said. On a pretty busy road (that was just widen) with few areas to cross and the expansive parking lots with very little shelter/shade, the walkability of HR is less conducive then SN or Grandview.

While it is certainly possible to walk to places in that area, I’d argue that the multiple barriers to the ease of walking makes it pretty much a non-option to the majority of the population. The lack of sidewalks in large stretches is what most people would deem as being “unwalkable”.

I always have to wonder about the mentality of walking in this kind of area. If I’m trudging along Rome Hilliard Road on foot in a grassy ditch, I have to imagine that people driving by are thinking “what’s wrong with that guy?”. Whereas walking on a sidewalk in an urban neighborhood is a completely different mental situation. Not that it would bother me too much, but I imagine that can be a hurdle for some people. Walking through unwalkable areas can easily be viewed as a substandard way of life.

geoyui
    Participant

rus said:
    Which probably means the average CUer will passionately hate it.

I don’t know if I qualify as the average CUer, but I’m ok with it. I drive into the city if I want to get the non “suburban, family centric” life :)

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Walker said:
    While it is certainly possible to walk to places in that area, I’d argue that the multiple barriers to the ease of walking makes it pretty much a non-option to the majority of the population. The lack of sidewalks in large stretches is what most people would deem as being “unwalkable”.

I always have to wonder about the mentality of walking in this kind of area. If I’m trudging along Rome Hilliard Road on foot in a grassy ditch, I have to imagine that people driving by are thinking “what’s wrong with that guy?”. Whereas walking on a sidewalk in an urban neighborhood is a completely different mental situation. Not that it would bother me too much, but I imagine that can be a hurdle for some people. Walking through unwalkable areas can easily be viewed as a substandard way of life.

Good point, when sidewalks are built, walking becomes a “legitimate” form of transportation.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:

Agree that the sidewalks are an afterthought. The only areas I can recall along the HR road with sidewalks are at the intersections. But I think another issue to raise is driver awareness when it comes to pedestrian safety. I think people are genuinely surprised when their driving is being held up by someone crossing the street.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION