Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 337 total)
  • Author

Parker
    Participant

How do they get a crane on site in time? Is there one stationed for this purpose?

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Either crane or helicopter? the real question is where and how far are the gates stored? I’m assuming the army corps of engineers are responsible for this in the event.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

patient_zero
    Participant

CalebR wrote >>
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/05/16/franklinton-demolition-kicks-off-redevelopment.html?sid=101
    FINALLY! Projects are moving forward!

This photo of Mayor Coleman and Jim Sweeney is awesome. Tom Dodge of the Dispatch did a great job capturing the decisive moment. I might have to buy a copy of this one. Great smile, Sweeney!

This is awesome for Franklintown – nice to see this urban neighborhood get some attention and love! It should also be poised for a rebirth with the 2 new bridges and another affordable option to GV and VV. It is also very walkable to downtown and the new courthouse.

Columbus’s neck will truly be ringed with an emerald neclace of great value in the future, GV, VV, IV, OTE, KLD, WP and Franklinton, Olde Oaks, yada, yada –

Most cities in the US would give their first born children for these urban jewels…rather than crime plagued slums which is the typical case in all too many American cities

Should point out all these neighborhoods are within a 2 mile radius of the statehouse. The City planners of the 1890’s would be pleased!

The picture with Coleman is classic – and can’t wait for a repeat when Poindexter tower is demolished on Mt Vernon (long over due too)

JimSweeney
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>

CalebR wrote >>
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/05/16/franklinton-demolition-kicks-off-redevelopment.html?sid=101
    FINALLY! Projects are moving forward!

This photo of Mayor Coleman and Jim Sweeney is awesome. Tom Dodge of the Dispatch did a great job capturing the decisive moment. I might have to buy a copy of this one. Great smile, Sweeney!

Ha! A wall had just come down hard. I remember looking back and getting hit in the face with that wall of dust (i hope) 1/2 second later! I stopped smiling pretty quick. good times!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

*G* Jim you should crop that and use it for your avatar.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

That was a hoot!

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I think I want to move downtown/ Franklinton area when this is built and everything. And do they have plans for new street lights, sidewalks and traffic signals? The whole road network in FTON needs a make over… sorry a major overhaul. It looks bad with weeds in the cracks and the sidewalks literraly “falling” into the streets.

Coleman was “punked.” LOL!

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

CalebR wrote >>
    I think I want to move downtown/ Franklinton area when this is built and everything. And do they have plans for new street lights, sidewalks and traffic signals? The whole road network in FTON needs a make over… sorry a major overhaul. It looks bad with weeds in the cracks and the sidewalks literraly “falling” into the streets.

infrastructural improvements have been made over the years. rich st got some new pavement last year plus a 2 way conversion. alot of traffic lights were replaced. those things are all great but its the people that make the difference. dont base an opinion on the aesthetics, there’s alot of good people down here and we have a lot of fun east franklinton.

jOHnH
    Participant

I am stoked for all this redevelopment in Franklinton, I grew up in the area as a youngster and think it has a ton of potential with all of its history. I was curious about the development company Urban Smart Growth. The Dispatch had this quote yesterday, “The project at the former B&T Metals plant, 435 W. Town St., will be led by Urban Smart Growth, a Los Angeles-based company whose leader has a history of delays and housing-code violations.” The problem is the Dispatch didn’t go into any details or examples. Just dropped that bomb and moved on. Just a little curious if anyone knows any details about the company.. Thanks.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

More about the developer from an older Dispatch article:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/03/23/robbins.ART_ART_03-23-08_B1_V69NM89.html?sid=101

From what I’ve heard, most of the issues have been resolved though? I’m sure Chris or Jim can elaborate.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Chris Sherman wrote >>

CalebR wrote >>

infrastructural improvements have been made over the years. rich st got some new pavement last year plus a 2 way conversion. alot of traffic lights were replaced. those things are all great but its the people that make the difference. dont base an opinion on the aesthetics, there’s alot of good people down here and we have a lot of fun east franklinton.

That’s not the reason I want to move there. Its an upcoming community and I want to be part of the development. Our church is having to move and well, I didn’t really want it to move from FTON. Unless somebody interfers with the builder, were moving to Grove City which I really don’t want to do. But, I can’t do anything about it. I want to move to FTON because I lived in FTON and then moved to the Hilltop. I have good memories there.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: