Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 337 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

I really wish this wasn’t behind a paywall …

620-slot underground parking garage, green space planned for Scioto Peninsula
    Evan Weese
    Columbus Business First

A sprawling surface parking lot at the Center of Science and Industry is being targeted for a 620-slot underground parking garage beneath public green space.

READ MORE (PAYWALL): http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/02/18/exclusive620-slot-underground-parking-garage-green.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I have a feeling we are going to get some bombshell news for the peninsula by the end of this year. With the recent news of this parking garage and the streetscape improvements, it feels like they are ramping up for something.

ohbr
    Participant

The parking garage and street scape have been planned for sometime, no? Either way, I’m ridiculously excited if this is coming sooner rather than later. Just the idea of having more park and landscaping rather than parking lots is fantastic.

I am curious though as to why an underground garage is feasible here. Wasn’t it not long ago we were told it wasn’t feasible at the city campus due to a water table or am I thinking of a different project?

JAL
    Participant

The parking garage and street scape have been planned for sometime, no? Either way, I’m ridiculously excited if this is coming sooner rather than later. Just the idea of having more park and landscaping rather than parking lots is fantastic.

I am curious though as to why an underground garage is feasible here. Wasn’t it not long ago we were told it wasn’t feasible at the city campus due to a water table or am I thinking of a different project?

This has been posted for awhile now:
    http://www.sciotopeninsula.com/news/Request-for-Qualifications–Scioto-Peninsula-Garage-and-Park/66

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Exciting news, in lots of ways. And absolutely portends big news coming. It shouldn’t be long now.

ohbr
    Participant

Is anybody who is able to read the article able to put a little more information here?

Does the article give a timeline or anything?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I hope Jonathan from Franklinton is okay with this development.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Is anybody who is able to read the article able to put a little more information here?

Does the article give a timeline or anything?

> A firm from New Albany has been tapped for the engineering work
    > The drawings are not yet completed
    > The city’s seeking $5 million in state money for the park/garage.

No timeline aside from a statement that construction could begin this year.

WJT
    Participant

It is great seeing this coming to fruition!

So what are they going to call it? Scioto Commons?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Scioto Peninsula Park.

ohbr
    Participant

Most of me doesn’t really want to read in to this. If it was part of the plan to begin with that we’ve known about for a couple years, I think it’s hard to assess whether this indicates any significant news to come beyond what has already been put out there on the Scioto Peninsula website.

lbl
    Participant

if this parking structure will be central to most of the peninsula, seems a bit short-sighted to only make it single story. why not dig a bit deeper and do 2 levels?

since the projected plan is to eventually develop a large “neighborhood” of mixed use buildings. this could help centralize parking for the area, and then those other buildings would not need to build as much of their own parking structures. along the lines of how the Commons garage plays to its neighboring buildings.

WJT
    Participant

Scioto Peninsula Park.

I am not seeing that as official anywhere. I am just seeing this: Scioto Peninsula
    Garage and Park
    Project.
    I hope it is something better than just ‘Scioto Peninsula Park’.

ohbr
    Participant

if this parking structure will be central to most of the peninsula, seems a bit short-sighted to only make it single story. why not dig a bit deeper and do 2 levels?

Probably Geology and Water Tables. Though we can hold back the Hudson River for skycrapers, it’s probably not cost effective to go through all that work for additional parking.

I too thought 600ish was a bit low for a fully developed peninsula but I think that at the worst, another one or two hidden along the tracks won’t be that bad as long as residential, office, etc is what faces outward.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    Scioto Peninsula Park.

I am not seeing that as official anywhere. I am just seeing this: Scioto Peninsula<br>
    Garage and Park<br>
    Project.<br>
    I hope it is something better than just ‘Scioto Peninsula Park’.

It’s in the Business First article.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE