Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 337 total)
  • Author

drtom1234
    Participant

This seems perfect for the area. I agree that Columbus needs more height and density downtown, particularly on High, 3rd, and 4th, but for Franklinton, I don’t think you could come up with a better plan. I hope they find folks to start implementing it soon.

News
    Participant

Bottoms Up: Franklinton’s Growing Pains
    By MICHELLE SULLIVAN & Photos by Tessa Berg
    From the August 2014 edition

For decades, Franklinton, with its crime and decay, was a place to avoid. But in the last few years, the neighborhood across the Scioto from Downtown has become, if not a destination, then a place less vilified. The city demolished vacant buildings. Artists moved in. A few businesses opened. The city has a vision for a neighborhood populated by creative young professionals. The powers revitalizing the neighborhood say it can be done without pushing out longtime residents. But history, in Columbus and elsewhere, says otherwise.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/08/bottoms-up-franklintons-growing-pains.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Going up!

News
    Participant

Remaking Columbus’s Most Downtrodden Neighborhood
    JOHN TIERNEY – OCT 1 2014, 2:06 PM ET

This is how provincial I am: I didn’t know until a few weeks ago that Columbus, Ohio—the state’s capital and by far its most populous city—is a gleaming metropolis. Of course, I knew of it as home to The Ohio State University and had even been there once almost 20 years ago for a conference.

READ MORE: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/remaking-columbuss-most-downtrodden-neighborhood/380860/

News
    Participant

How to Attract Artists to a Down-and-Out Neighborhood
    JOHN TIERNEY – OCT 10 2014, 1:14 PM ET

Early last week, for the American Futures series here at The Atlantic, I posted the first part of my look into the efforts in Columbus, Ohio, to resuscitate the city’s oldest and poorest neighborhood, Franklinton. Let’s explore this some more.

READ MORE: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/how-to-attract-artists-to-a-down-and-out-neighborhood/380894/

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Remaking Columbus’s Most Downtrodden Neighborhood<br>
    JOHN TIERNEY – OCT 1 2014, 2:06 PM ET

This is how provincial I am: I didn’t know until a few weeks ago that Columbus, Ohio—the state’s capital and by far its most populous city—is a gleaming metropolis. Of course, I knew of it as home to The Ohio State University and had even been there once almost 20 years ago for a conference.<br>
    <br>
    READ MORE: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/10/remaking-columbuss-most-downtrodden-neighborhood/380860/

I was wondering if anyone here had seen this article. Pretty amazing press and a good article, to boot. Also, kind of shows you how clueless a lot of America is about Columbus and how surprised they are when they find out more about it. It’s like the Midwest’s best-kept secret. (Honestly, part of the problem is the name, “Columbus” is pretty generic and there are a number of other cities with the same name)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also, kind of shows you how clueless a lot of America is about Columbus and how surprised they are when they find out more about it. It’s like the Midwest’s best-kept secret.

I hear this sentiment pretty commonly, either directly from visitors or indirectly from other locals who entertain visitors on their first trip here. People arrive with zero expectations, so they always leave pleasantly surprised. That’s the one advantage to being a bit of an unknown city… people don’t arrive with a specific set of expectations.

News
    Participant

Coy
    Participant

Great little piece. Just toured the space again on Friday and loved what I saw!

News
    Participant

The Vanderelli Room Art Gallery Opens in Franklinton
    November 13, 2014 2:31 pm – Walker Evans

Alicia Jean (AJ for short) Vanderelli has been a part of the artistic renaissance in Franklinton ever since she first moved into her studio space at 400 West Rich in late 2011. This weekend, she’s expanding her commitment exponentially with the grand opening of The Vanderelli Room, a brand-new art gallery space located in a former church building at 218 McDowell Street, not far from her studio.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-vanderelli-room-art-gallery-opens-in-franklinton

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Is it just me or is the Orange Barrel Media HQ progressing incredibly slowly. It broke ground 14 months ago. For comparison The Joseph had a one month head start and that was for 2 buildings over 6 stories and a parking garage.

I’m convinced the entirety of Jeffrey Park will be completed before this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is it just me or is the Orange Barrel Media HQ progressing incredibly slowly. It broke ground 14 months ago. For comparison The Joseph had a one month head start and that was for 2 buildings over 6 stories and a parking garage.

I’m convinced the entirety of Jeffrey Park will be completed before this.

I spoke with Pete Scantland a few weeks ago and he said that they’ve had some delays in getting materials delivered to the site. One of which was glass, which couldn’t be hung below certain temperatures, so they were waiting for a break in the weather.

That being said, it looks like they’ve gotten it to some degree, because they’ve installed a lot of glass in the past few weeks, and it looks like most all of the solar panels are up on the back side of the tower now.

News
    Participant

More Artist Studio Space Coming to Franklinton
    February 1, 2015 10:29 am – Brent Warren

The owners of 400 West Rich plan to convert an 18,000 square-foot former factory building just down the street into more artist studios. The East Franklinton Review Board approved the renovation plan for 289 West Walnut Street in December.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/more-artist-studio-space-coming-to-franklinton-bw1

News
    Participant

Orange Barrel Media Pays Homage to Franklinton History With New Mural
    March 30, 2015 6:00 am – Walker Evans

On Friday, Franklinton took one step closer to becoming the city’s official new arts district with the unveiling of a 5,000 square foot mural on the south side of the new Orange Barrel Media building. The installation is a digitally printed enlargement of an oil painting by Ohio artist Emily Jay, which depicts a scene from the 1913 Franklinton Flood, which left the neighborhood under 15 to 20 feet of water.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/orange-barrel-media-pays-homage-to-franklinton-history-with-new-mural

News
    Participant

For the 3rd year in a row, the City of Columbus has been named one of the top 7 intelligent communities in the world by the intelligent Community forum The intelligent community forum, or ICF, is a New York-based international think tank that studies the world’s cities to discover and then share the strategies used to create an Intelligent Community.
    In the past month, Intelligent Community Forum co-founder Lou Zacharilla visited Columbus to review the initiatives that led to Columbus being named one of the Top7 Intelligent Communities in the world for 2015. He will then submit his report to a large international group of experts, and in June, at the annual Intelligent Community Forum’s Summit in New York City, the Intelligent Community for 2015 will be announced.
    Part of Lou Zacharilla’s visit here included a roundtable meeting with business & community leaders at COSI entitled, The Franklinton Story – The Changing Narrative.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO