Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 337 total)
  • Author

Pro Se
    Participant

They have done wonders but a but if diversity in their architecture would do wonders. It becomes rather monotonous. But don’t get me wrong, we ought to be very indebted to them for such an extraordinary investment in the central city.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

NRI Envisions Mixed-Use Development for Broad Street Site in Franklinton
    July 22, 2014 12:01 pm – Walker Evans

In May, Nationwide Realty Investors made some waves when it was revealed that the development company known best for creating the Arena District and Grandview Yard had purchased the old Byers Chevrolet site in Franklinton. While the Arena District and Grandview Yard sites are both 100-acre master planning efforts, NRI President Brian Ellis sees the company’s involvement in Franklinton taking an entirely different approach.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/nri-envisions-mixed-use-development-for-broad-street-site-in-franklinton

UrbanApplachian
    Participant

This of course is great news for Franklinton, but a part of me is sad to see the last new car dealership leave the inner city. Most of us remember Graham Ford, but few people realize that there was also a BMW dealership on West Broad St. in Franklinton during the ’80s.

Pablo
    Participant

Demolition

Untitled

jbcmh81
    Participant

Good to see this going, and excited to see what will take it’s place. This site has the potential to really change the momentum of all of Franklinton beyond what is going on already. Let’s hope for decent density and design.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Whoa! What building is that? I don’t think I’ve seen it before and I frequently visit Franklinton.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Whoa! What building is that? I don’t think I’ve seen it before and I frequently visit Franklinton.

Sunshine Terrace. It’s right next to Dodge Park.

Here’s an article about it being planned for demolition from 2008:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2008/05/12/CMHA.ART_ART_05-12-08_A1_S2A5LQG.html

wpcc88
    Participant

This would have been perfect for a quick dynamite demo, I would’ve watched. I saw the interbelt bridge come down in Cleveland and it was awesome!

Pablo
    Participant

This would have been perfect for a quick dynamite demo, I would’ve watched. I saw the interbelt bridge come down in Cleveland and it was awesome!

That would’ve been awesome! The Baldwin Tower at Grant Hospital was blown up and it’s a much tighter site:

News
    Participant

Plan Calls for “Downtown Franklinton” District, Parks on Broad Street
    July 30, 2014 4:18 pm – Brent Warren

A draft neighborhood plan for West Franklinton – which will be presented tonight at the last of three community planning meetings – calls for a “Downtown Franklinton” district, new parks along West Broad Street and a range of other suggestions for the area. The plan has been in development since the process first started in January.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/plan-calls-for-downtown-franklinton-district-parks-on-broad-street-bw1

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

It’s a start but to me this looks more like a plan for downtown Dublin or downtown Westerville. Being within 1 mile of the downtown core the area should be developed into something a little more dense then what is shown in the renderings.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

i.e., you think the buildings should be taller.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If it were all built as 7 stories, someone would say it should be 8. If it were 8, someone would complain it’s not 9. If it were 100 stories, there would be something else wrong with it.

It’s a good start for a plan IMHO. The real news comes from the execution of the plan, which will take many people and many small individual projects to make happen over many years.

Leahy255
    Participant

This is just laying the foundation. The Short North is always changing but there has to be a start.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: