Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

This topic contains 336 replies, has 79 voices, and was last updated by  Analogue Kid 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 337 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

Very interesting!

Casto and Weiler team up to redevelop CMHA site in East Franklinton
    Brian R. Ball
    Columbus Business First

layout

A joint venture led by developers Robert Weiler Co. and Casto have been given the chance to redevelop the site of a former public housing complex in East Franklinton.

The Casto/Weiler development team, which also includes Donald W. Kelley & Associates, Smoot Construction Co. and Simco Construction Co., beat out three other proposals to develop the 13 acres of surplus Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority property off West Rich Street along the Scioto River southwest of downtown.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/03/casto-and-weiler-team-up-to-redevelop-cmha-site-in.html

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hey, I know that guy!

Chicken
    Participant

Hey, I know that guy!

Anyone have any ideas how to get around the paywall to be able to read that full article?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone have any ideas how to get around the paywall to be able to read that full article?

Read it at the library? ;)

I think you pretty much need a valid login to read Biz First articles. They may become readable after a few weeks as well.

UrbanPlanner2112
    Participant

I think Franklinton would be a good place to start a fashion district. Not the Polaris kind, but more of a design-based garment district with with small design studios and storefronts that sell small-batch production items.

The whole local thing is really taking off, and people are interested in local artisan goods

columbusmike
    Participant

Pink siding?!

News
    Participant

Project Update: Orange Barrel Headquarters
    May 22, 2014 8:30 am – Brent Warren

If you’ve driven on Interstate 670 or State Route 315 just west of Downtown recently, you may have noticed three large towers taking shape near the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers. Construction of the new Orange Barrel Media headquarters – which broke ground last September — is back on track after progress was slowed by bad weather.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-orange-barrel-headquarters-bw1

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    Hey, I know that guy!

It opened fine for me. Maybe it turns free after a while.

Pablo
    Participant

futureman
    Participant

Are these going to market rate or subsidized? I’m assuming the latter if CMHA is involved.

“Hundreds of apartments on 12 acres that include the old Riverside-Bradley public housing site. Casto, the Robert Weiler Co., developer Don Kelley, Smoot Construction and the Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority are partners on the project.

The first two planned buildings would be five stories each with 220 units. Construction could begin as early as next spring, said Casto partner Bill Riat

The number of units could reach 700, Riat said. A high-rise could replace the housing authority’s Sunshine Terrace, a high-rise apartment building that is slated for demolition.”

jbcmh81
    Participant

Are these going to market rate or subsidized? I’m assuming the latter if CMHA is involved.

“Hundreds of apartments on 12 acres that include the old Riverside-Bradley public housing site. Casto, the Robert Weiler Co., developer Don Kelley, Smoot Construction and the Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority are partners on the project.<br>
    <br>
    The first two planned buildings would be five stories each with 220 units. Construction could begin as early as next spring, said Casto partner Bill Riat

The number of units could reach 700, Riat said. A high-rise could replace the housing authority’s Sunshine Terrace, a high-rise apartment building that is slated for demolition.”

I’m not sure it would make much sense to tear down one public housing complex just to replace it with essentially the exact same thing.

dru
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>futureman wrote:</div>

I’m not sure it would make much sense to tear down one public housing complex just to replace it with essentially the exact same thing.

it could take the same format as the New Village Apartments in Italian Village (2nd and Summit), where a smaller percentage of subsidized housing (20%) was built into a larger (80%) community of market rate rentals.

News
    Participant

New Mixed-Use Buildings, Renovation of Warehouses Planned in Franklinton
    June 5, 2014 7:00 am — Brent Warren

Plans for the development of 13 acres between West Rich Street and the Scioto River in East Franklinton now call for two five-story, 110-unit apartment buildings with enclosed parking and ground floor commercial space in the first phase.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-mixed-use-buildings-renovation-of-warehouses-planned-for-east-franklinton-bw1

News
    Participant

Interview: Bryan Brown on New East Franklinton Development
    June 5, 2014 7:00 am — Brent Warren

Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority and their partners recently revealed new details of their plan to develop 13 acres in East Franklinton. The project will likely be the first major development shaped by the vision laid out in the East Franklinton Creative Community District Plan – a high-density, mixed-use, urban neighborhood on the western banks of the Scioto River.

We recently sat down with Bryan Brown, Senior Vice President of Business Development at the CMHA, for an update on the project. See below for excepts from our conversation, including the potential for live/work units, a possible affordable component of the development, and his thoughts on how this project fits within the mission of CMHA.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/interview-bryan-brown-on-new-east-franklinton-development-bw1

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO