Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Franklinton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Franklinton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 337 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

Four projects key to Franklinton rebirth

Coleman plan announced this week will boost COSI neighbors

Friday, February 25, 2011 02:49 AM

BY DOUG CARUSO

franklinton-folo-art-gnpbonsq-10225gfx-franklinton-folo-map-eps-large.jpg

When the Franklinton contingent at the State of the City address erupted into applause Wednesday night, some of it came from genuine surprise.

Mayor Michael B. Coleman had just announced that Columbus would back the redevelopment of the neighborhood with $900,000 to buy a warehouse on State Street. It will allow the Franklinton Development Association to turn the warehouse into 42 condominiums, with studio workspace for artists and other creative types.

Even Jim Sweeney, executive director of the development association, said yesterday that he hadn’t been 100percent sure that Coleman would make the commitment.

The warehouse, at 435 W. State St., is now owned by the AD Farrow Co., a Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer. With the city’s help, Sweeney said, the nonprofit Franklinton Development Association will exercise its option to buy it and start renovating it with an eye toward selling the first units in late 2012 or early 2013.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/25/four-projects-key-to-rebirth.html?sid=101

rory
    Participant

This is super. Nice to see a couple neighborhoods around the downtown core getting a lot of attention.

Twixlen
    Participant

Wow – that is excellent! Congrats to all the hardworking Franklinton folks!

Disclaimer: I’m also the office manager/outreach gal for Franklinton Development Association so I’m super excited about all of this news but I’m also excited about getting to continue to use art and creativity to redevelop this neighborhood.

Also:
    http://www.columbusalive.com/live/content/features/stories/2011/02/24/urban-arts-complex-taking-shape-in-franklinton.html?sid=108

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

first thing my sister asked “dont you ever wear a clean shirt?” i said this is franklinton we don’t wear clean shirts!

cyclist II
    Participant

nobody uses sidewalks in Franklinton either.

ohiojimmie
    Participant

They have a lot of closed bridges in Franklinton

Parker
    Participant

ohiojimmie wrote >>
    They have a lot of closed bridges in Franklinton

One opened last fall (east bound only so far) and the other is under construction so it won’t be long before you can walk, bike, skip, or drive across three different bridges from FTON to downtown and back!

Parker
    Participant

cyclist II wrote >>

for sure… that’s how I know someone has actually been to the neighborhood, one of the first things they notice. Not sure why that is either but I have some theories.

labi
    Participant

Parker wrote >>

cyclist II wrote >>

for sure… that’s how I know someone has actually been to the neighborhood, one of the first things they notice. Not sure why that is either but I have some theories.

I think this one’s kind of easy. (In Weinland Park, anyway) it’s the rare exception who shovels the sidewalk in front of their house/building OR would ever think to trim weeds/etc that grow into the sidewalk. Facing the nearly continuous obstacles, you start walking in the middle of the street because at least there you have a clear path. Before you know it, you stop thinking about the sidewalks at all.

On the other hand, there’s also the “fastest getaway” aspect….

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

i can see that but its rarely the case in the warmer seasons. its an intimidation issue as well. thugs not moving for cars etc. i see it on a daily basis.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Wow this is exciting news! My church is near here: 1082 West Mound Street and were looking for places to move in case the Cooper Complex project buys our land. I hope the residents would support this :)

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

of course we would! and thats an interesting point, adjacent property owner displacement from the race track. never really thought of that honestly.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Well we’re literally right across from the stadium beside the gas station at Mound and Cypress. Have you heard of the church?

and by the way, We are a growing church who helps the poor and who will help you if you need it. Come visit if you want :) Haha sorry if I’m scaring you off.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I do think that Franklinton was devastated after the flooding but, since the flood wall has been built and more people are taking interest in Columbus and the communities around it, if we played the right cards we could get Columbus back to being a HUGE commercial, retail and national hub and get the state of Ohio back on its feet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 337 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE