Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fourth & Third Redevelopment - 995 North Fourth

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Fourth & Third Redevelopment – 995 North Fourth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Breaking this out into its own thread for discussion. Proposal shows preservation of existing buildings with resurfaced lot in front and retail usage for properties. More details coming soon.

Renderings via ArchAll:

jOHnH
    Participant

This is awesome, property on 4th is going quick. What is the story with Columbus Electrical Works? Still in use? Seems prime for some type of redevelopment.

The only issue now is slowing down the highway that is 4th street for pedestrians and people to enjoy these up coming new additions to the neighborhood. The folks living in the Jeffrey development will be playing real life frogger to cross 4th.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I like the re-use of the trolly barn, but I think more could have been done with the rest of the parcel. At least moving it closer to 4th and pushing parking to the back or side.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It’s too bad the patio will be facing a parking lot. Nothing more serene than stairing at cars and steaming hot asphalt in the summer. Other than that the buildings look pretty good.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Their original proposal was complete demo of the entire site (including the trolley barn) and building a three story mixed use building right up onto fourth with townhomes down along 3rd.

The commission balked at them tearing down the barn, as they should have, and now they’ve come back with this.

I really don’t understand why they can’t come back with something closer to the original proposal with the trolley barn restored as well. I assume they felt it wasn’t financially feasible for them to restore the trolley barn and build big.

Why they ever made the assumption that a historical commission would allow them to demo that barn is beyond me. But clearly they’ve scaled back their ambitions in light of that development. It’s a shame. While this proposal is a big improvement over what’s currently there, the fact that it doesn’t meet the street is really a shame.

Hopefully with continued discussion with the IVC we can get closer to their original proposal while still keeping the trolley barn restoration.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

+1 to the setback concerns – seems like quite a wasted opportunity.

dru
    Participant

Don’t most patios either face parking or the the other asphalt car filled thing called streets? I don’t see that slowing down the enjoyment of the patios at Haiku, Seventh Son, Bros Drake, Katalina’s, etc…

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Having the patio abut 4th would be a welcomed change versus having the parking between it and the street. A poor design status quo shouldn’t be set just because there are other businesses with a similar footprint to the proposal.

jOHnH
    Participant

Wouldn’t a patio no set back be kind of dangerous on 4th? people do about 40-45mph down the street.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Wouldn’t a patio no set back be kind of dangerous on 4th? people do about 40-45mph down the street.

There would have to be some sort of partition from the sidewalk anyway but my assumption would be that drivers would instinctively slow down (maybe not much though) with the added presence of people in their line of sight.

Edit – Plus the new dedicated bike lane will be on the west side of 4th… between that and the loss of a lane of traffic I think the street will lend itself much better to sidewalk patios.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There would have to be some sort of partition from the sidewalk anyway but my assumption would be that drivers would instinctively slow down (maybe not much though) with the added presence of people in their line of sight.

On-street parking acts as a nice buffer between sidewalk and street. Also would help to calm traffic through there.

dru
    Participant

the original comment was that the patio would be undesirable because it faced cars and asphalt. so the solution is to push it to Fourth where it will face on-street parking – also known as cars and asphalt. We’re making considerable design progress here.

Also the solution seems to demand the patio have significantly more square footage than the rehabbed restaurant structure? You cannot push the actual structure of the trolley barn towards Fourth without compromising the integrity of the existing structure.

Mike88
    Participant

he original comment was that the patio would be undesirable because it faced cars and asphalt. so the solution is to push it to Fourth where it will face on-street parking – also known as cars and asphalt. We’re making considerable design progress here.
    Also the solution seems to demand the patio have significantly more square footage than the rehabbed restaurant structure? You cannot push the actual structure of the trolley barn towards Fourth without compromising the integrity of the existing structure.

Agreed.

I like that the barn is restored and looks like a prime spot for a nice summer night out but I gotta say I’m disappointed they’re leaving that old warehouse pretty much as is with a new facade.

I would love to see that knocked down, the barn left and a multi-story (heck even a 2 story) project right up to the street. It would be easy to then flip the parking to the backside and actually free up more land to be developed residentially in what is currently an unused lot out back.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We’re making considerable design progress here.

Multiple people are talking about multiple ideas. Just spitballin’. ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Don’t most patios either face parking or the the other asphalt car filled thing called streets? I don’t see that slowing down the enjoyment of the patios at Haiku, Seventh Son, Bros Drake, Katalina’s, etc…

True, having the patio facing fourth means that your view is still cars and asphalt. The point of having it on fourth, or even up to the street on Third for that matter, is that it helps bring activity to the sidewalk level. When you are walking past La Fogata on High, would you rather walk right next to the patio or have a parking lot separating you from it. Being so close to other people enjoying themselves enhances the overall pedestrian experience. Those on the patio now can people watch instead of staring at the hood of a Voltswagon. Sometimes, you just do not have a choice. Haiku hides it lot pretty well with lattice and fencing. Seventh Son could not afford to build new considering their business model. It is what it is. Brothers Drake had no idea that that parking lot would someday be there. Katalina’s faces the street with the parking in the rear. You don’t see it. Walking down 3rd is much more enjoyable when the patio at Katalina’s is full. It brings life to the street. That’s what I’m wanting for this proposal. Most of the best used patios are those located up to the street Otherwise, it’s just another Bar 145 or Average Joes, both of which lend nothing to the street.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE