Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fortune 500 Company to Build $84 Million Tech Center in New Albany

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Fortune 500 Company to Build $84 Million Tech Center in New Albany

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fortune 500 Company to Build $84 Million Corporate Technology Center in New Albany

Following a national site selection process that included multiple states and more than a dozen sites, New Albany, Ohio has been selected as the future site of an $84 million technology center.

The new business was attracted to New Albany’s 3,000-acre Business Park, featuring technology infrastructure such as reliable, redundant electricity and a state-of-the-art lit broadband fiber network known as Blue Albany Net.

More from Biz First Here: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/05/17/daily15.html

Quote:
    The parent of the T.J. Maxx and Marshalls discount store chains is considering New Albany for a corporate technology center that could create 28 jobs.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Fortune 500 Company to Build $84 Million Corporate Technology Center in New Albany
    Following a national site selection process that included multiple states and more than a dozen sites, New Albany, Ohio has been selected as the future site of an $84 million technology center.
    The new business was attracted to New Albany’s 3,000-acre Business Park, featuring technology infrastructure such as reliable, redundant electricity and a state-of-the-art lit broadband fiber network known as Blue Albany Net.
    More from Biz First Here: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2010/05/17/daily15.html

The parent of the T.J. Maxx and Marshalls discount store chains is considering New Albany for a corporate technology center that could create 28 jobs.

wait
    28 jobs?
    An $84 million dollar place and only 28 jobs?

The operation’s annual payroll would be valued at about $1.5 million.

Nice PR work then.
    Heck a Wendy’s would generate 28 jobs.

dru
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

wait
    28 jobs?
    An $84 million dollar place and only 28 jobs?

The operation’s annual payroll would be valued at about $1.5 million.

Nice PR work then.
    Heck a Wendy’s would generate 28 jobs.

But would the average salary of the 28 Wendy’s service employees be $53,571 (and I am presuming a health and retirement benefits package)?

dru
    Participant

dbl post

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m assuming that most of the money is going into the high tech equipment and not the payroll?

futureman
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I’m assuming that most of the money is going into the high tech equipment and not the payroll?

+1 IT enteprise equipment is not cheap and taking into account service contracts I’m not all that surprised.

Oh, and the full article states that it’s a Data Center = huge cash investment.

Tenzo
    Participant

No doubt its a huge investment.
    I’m just questioning the newsworthiness of an article touting 28 whole jobs. (Meanwhile other companies are cutting over 2,000.)

Why is 28 jobs news worthy?

Not for a data center

drew
    Participant

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I’m guessing that the 28 jobs the facility will have do not include the construction and buildout jobs that will be temporary created, or the consultant time the place will use to get everything up and running. Still, I would have liked to have seen them tack a call center on the side of that data center

futureman
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    I’m just questioning the newsworthiness of an article touting 28 whole jobs. (Meanwhile other companies are cutting over 2,000.)

Not for a data center

Who is cutting 2000 jobs in Central Ohio?

Tenzo
    Participant

futureman wrote >>

Tenzo wrote >>

Not for a data center

Who is cutting 2000 jobs in Central Ohio?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2010/04/14/story-american-electric-power-reductions.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=102

futureman
    Participant

that is across 11 states though …

The reasons for the “trimming” as they put it was a customers reducing consumption. Maybe someone should build a data center to drum up demand :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE