Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Food Challenges in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Food Challenges in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Andrew Hall

Bear wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Columbus restaurants have enough of a challenge just producing good food.
    A.

So who peed in your vichyssoise today?

Statement of fact. We live in the Midwest (away from coastal seafood), we have relatively short produce windows, most of the meat producers in the area are industrial, Ohio’s economy was rough enough even before 2008, bloody awful liquor laws, etc.

It is a challenge to produce good food in Columbus.

A.

i ate 8 hot dogs at Dime-a-Dog night once.

i was the ladies’ champion.

does that count?

shmack

Double Beanie Burger Challenge at Gahanna Grill! easily one of the best burgers about town.

Bear
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Columbus restaurants have enough of a challenge just producing good food.
    A.

So who peed in your vichyssoise today?

Statement of fact. We live in the Midwest (away from coastal seafood), we have relatively short produce windows, most of the meat producers in the area are industrial, Ohio’s economy was rough enough even before 2008, bloody awful liquor laws, etc.
    It is a challenge to produce good food in Columbus.
    A.

Ah, I misread the emphasis. Restaurants in Columbus are the issue — not Columbus restaurants per se. Yes, agreed.

mattg

My buddy and I got 6 wings of every flavor at BW3s. We each ate 3 of every flavor and did all the sauces in one sitting. We did the same at Quaker Steak in two trips. Their hottest wings embarrass BW3s. Well BW3s wings are terrible all around, so tiny. Anyway, I’d like to see more food challenges through Columbus. Ohio Deli is on the list.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Usually when I try the hottest sauce at some wing place, it’s way too salty to enjoy. If you want clean heat, go to CaJohn.

ohiojimmie
    Participant

I used to do food binges with friends when I was in College. Just take an hour and order something from all of your favorite locations and take them home and chow down. Its a challenge in itself to not eat the first item you get before picking up the rest.

Hael

Bear wrote >>
    I like the idea of challenges that aren’t purely based on quantity (no disrespect intended to the Dagwood etc.)
    Wings / heat is one.
    Perhaps extreme food could be another. Sadly they have discontinued the pupae dish at Diaspora….

Great idea! I love spicy hot foods and always require much more wasabi than initially provided when feasting on sushi. Count me in as a contestant.

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

There is a pancake challenge a brewing…..stay tuned.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Ha! Beat me to it, Jim! Yes, one is coming soon…

cyclist II
    Participant

I’m ready to eat. But I’d prefer to be involved in a beer drinking, patio sitting, cigarette smoking competition.

Raoul Duke
    Participant

Cajohn’s had a hot sauce challenge at the North Market Fiery Food festival last year. You had to down a tiny medicine spoon sample of 13 hot sauces to enter a drawing for a gift certificate. The last 3 were made with the Jolokia/Ghost pepper. They started very mild and I didn’t have any problems until the last sauce, but after that I couldn’t see to sign up for the drawing.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Hills Market are taking entries for a hot dog eating competition on July 30th, part of their foodie fair. More information here: http://hillsfoodiefair.com/

Joseppi’s Pizza has a Mega Meat Challenge. You and a partner get one hour to eat a 28 inch Mega Meat pizza. Winners get $100 cash, $150 in gift cards, and tees. Losers get belly aches.

twomaddogs
    Participant

We at Two Mad Dogs have a challenge The Two Mad Dogs challenge , can you be the first to complete it? 30 minutes to eat a one pound dog covered in chili and 5 toppings, 24oz soft serve, 32 oz drink 1 pound fries covered in nacho cheese and Two whole kosher pickles!
    More here link

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION