Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Food Challenges in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Food Challenges in Columbus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Oak
    Participant

So where are the food challenges in Columbus? Where can you get good food and a LOT of it sprinkled with competition?

Ohio Deli – The Dagwood – Made famous by Man vs. Food – this monster 2.5 pound sandwich plus fries doesn’t go down easily. East it all under 30 minutes and get a tshirt plus your photo on the wall of other winners.

Hoggy’s – All locations – This bbq joint has their own challenge: 1 slab of ribs, 1/2 chicken, a 7oz pulled pork sandwich, 1 piece of cornbread plus 1 side (your choice). Eat it all and you get a free tshirt.

So where are the other challenges that I and the others with gastronomic capacity can go to see if we’ve got the ability to put it down? Just to clairfy, a good foodie challenge is GOOD food, but a lot of it. A lot of bad food is just a fear factor stunt.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Perhaps Dirty Franks will become home to a hot dog challenge?

There are various events at North Market too. I think the last one was the wing eating? Or hot sauce?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    There are various events at North Market too. I think the last one was the wing eating? Or hot sauce?

maybe dirty franks can get Kobayashi as the guest of honnor for the opening?

lifeliberty
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>

Anne wrote >>

maybe dirty franks can get Kobayashi as the guest of honnor for the opening?

When would that be? Anyone know?

Bear
    Participant

I like the idea of challenges that aren’t purely based on quantity (no disrespect intended to the Dagwood etc.)

Wings / heat is one.

Perhaps extreme food could be another. Sadly they have discontinued the pupae dish at Diaspora….

joev
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

Perhaps extreme food could be another. Sadly they have discontinued the pupae dish at Diaspora….

Is it not hatching season? Yes, Quantity challenges gross me out. Super hot, super sour, or raw foods are good ideas. Also a timed challenge, like who can finish a set meal first are less gross.

Andrew Hall

Columbus restaurants have enough of a challenge just producing good food.

A.

karenS

Does Thurman’s have a challenge with one of their gigantic burgers? I’m not one for food challenges, so I’m might be misremembering.

lifeliberty
    Participant

It’s not really a challenge, just a big burger featured on man vs Food; the Thurminator

it also shows Schmidts foods as well

in another episode they did Quaker Steak’s Atomic wing Challenge which is available up at Polaris

Angel

I ate 45 wings once at quaker steak.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oak wrote >>
    Ohio Deli – The Dagwood – Made famous by Man vs. Food – this monster 2.5 pound sandwich plus fries doesn’t go down easily. East it all under 30 minutes and get a tshirt plus your photo on the wall of other winners.

If you haven’t seen our video footage from CU Dagwood Challenge from a year ago, its worth watching. And it pre-dates the Man Vs. Food episode. ;)

lifeliberty
    Participant

Angel wrote >>

that’s easy. bet you couldn’t do that at Roosters!

QS sauces are awesome, but their wings are itty bitty

i also found out that wings have like 100 calories per wing!

Oak
    Participant

Props to Walker for the video. I should have said “brought to light first on video by CU and made famous by Man vs. Food”. 45 wings at Quaker Steak and Lube is pretty impressive. I just need to convince Hyde Park to have a 4.5 pound (72oz) steak challange and then let me have it for free if I eat it. Never seen a 72oz steak challenge? Check it out at http://www.bigtexan.com. It’s big and it’s beefy. Mmmm.

Bear
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Columbus restaurants have enough of a challenge just producing good food.
    A.

So who peed in your vichyssoise today?

Angel

lifeliberty wrote >>

Angel wrote >>

that’s easy. bet you couldn’t do that at Roosters!
    QS sauces are awesome, but their wings are itty bitty
    i also found out that wings have like 100 calories per wing!

Do they have all you can eat one night? I don’t do hot wings either, sorry I’m a wuss.

we can make our own challenge! I can eat a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION