Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Food Carts in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Food Carts in Clintonville

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

bob.os said:
    Durn tootin’

Special credit to anyone old enough to know the original tenant of the building where the Coop parks.

Are you referring to the building just north of Cliffside on Indianola? Wasn’t that originally a 7-11?

Clintonville starts at the ravine so it’s still in the University district.

cheap

Pablo said:
    Are you referring to the building just north of Cliffside on Indianola? Wasn’t that originally a 7-11?

Clintonville starts at the ravine so it’s still in the University district.

i thought it was a 7-11 as well.i remember it being empty for a long time.

bob.os
    Participant

cheap said:
    i thought it was a 7-11 as well.i remember it being empty for a long time.

I may be wrong, but I remember it being a Lawson’s. It must have not had any video games in the 80s, as I don’t recall hanging out there.

Even stranger, after Googling Lawson’s I found that they only exist (and are huge) in Japan now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawson_(store)

chaptal
    Participant

I used to live by that spot in the early 1990’s. There was never anything there. Wasn’t the a big bear near that spot, or one was supposed to go there?

Pablo
    Participant

bob.os said:
    I may be wrong, but I remember it being a Lawson’s. It must have not had any video games in the 80s, as I don’t recall hanging out there.

Even stranger, after Googling Lawson’s I found that they only exist (and are huge) in Japan now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawson_(store)

Looks like it was originally owned by Standard Oil (maybe a Sohio gas station?) – Southland Corp (parent of 7-11) purchased it in 1977.

http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/pbk/Col83/010-37682.pdf

To get back on track: I’m in favor of food trucks and I’m a South Clintonville resident. I think the controversy was created by a former CAC chair Defourney after he received a couple of complaint calls…

As far as I’ve heard, the only Clintonville food truck issue stemmed from a violation of an iffy rule involving long-term parking.

We have LOTS of food trucks on the north end. And regardless of the meeting, there will be 3 (or more) trucks from the Food Fort peeps at Henderson & High (MapleGrove) on August 18 AND a giant slide (free). C’mon, that says FUN (for my segment of the population, anyway).

News
    Participant

Food-truck owners: Replace chaos with consistency
    By KEVIN PARKS
    ThisWeek Community News
    Wednesday August 1, 2012 9:52 AM

The owners and operators of food trucks in Columbus feel as if they are regulated by anecdote, alleged precedent and even seeming whim. Employing their own anecdotes to complain about inconsistent and uneven enforcement of rules, roughly a dozen or so food-truck folks turned out last week for a citywide forum convened by several members of the Clintonville Area Commission at the Charity Newsies building on Indianola Avenue.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2012/07/30/food-truck-owners-replace-chaos-with-consistency.html

taxguy

After taking a look at this thread – I needed to get on to defend my neighborhood – people have lobbed vague insults about the absence of “fun” and/or restaurants. That simply is not true.

Whether you like their presence or not, there are lots of food carts. But even discounting those, you have: Patrick J’s, O’Reilly’s, Aladdin’s, Cup’o Joe, Lavash, Mozart’s & Vienna Ice, Gatto’s, Pattycake, Mama Mimi’s, Georgio, Nancy’s, Corner Stone, Whole World, Global Gallery, Wildflower, India Oak, Dante’s and Primo Pizza. That’s to say nothing of chains like McDonald’s Subway and Dairy Queen, and whatever else one can pick up at the delis in Giant Eagle, Weiland’s and the Clintonville Community Market. Granted, you’re not getting any Zagat ratings over here, but there are choices and nearly all of them are good. If it’s alcohol you’re after, there’s plenty of that at several of the aforementioned establishments, as well as the Crest Tavern, Brew-Stir’s and Studio 35. If you want craft beer to go, swing by Pace-High, Weber Market, Palmer’s or Weiland’s. People need to be respectful of the fact that families do live there (families who, when they plan on dropping $80 on a gourmet dinner for two, are willing to drive). The Short North it ain’t, but there is plenty of fun in Clintonville.

Also, fyi – a couple of years back a food cart burst into flames in Clintonville, supposedly on account of faulty wiring. It could happen anywhere, but if you own a home, it’s not something you want happening nearby. I’m all for food carts and their creativity, but let’s try to position them in locations where a similar businesses might have been located otherwise. That’s probably best for them and the benefit of the neigborhood.

Graybeak
    Participant

Are there lots of food trucks that set up shop in residential areas?

I thought it was pretty much in the corner of a parking lot somewhere, near the street so they can be seen.

This one time, a couple of years back, a car crashed in Clintonville, supposedly on account of faulty machinery. It could happen anywhere, but if you own a home, it’s not something you want happening nearby.

This one time, a couple of years back, a building caught on fire in Clintonville….

I could go on and on, but these anecdotal stories aren’t helping the cause any.

joev
    Participant

taxguy said:
    After taking a look at this thread – I needed to get on to defend my neighborhood – people have lobbed vague insults about the absence of “fun” and/or restaurants. That simply is not true.

Whether you like their presence or not, there are lots of food carts. But even discounting those, you have: Patrick J’s, O’Reilly’s, Aladdin’s, Cup’o Joe, Lavash, Mozart’s & Vienna Ice, Gatto’s, Pattycake, Mama Mimi’s, Georgio, Nancy’s, Corner Stone, Whole World, Global Gallery, Wildflower, India Oak, Dante’s and Primo Pizza. That’s to say nothing of chains like McDonald’s Subway and Dairy Queen, and whatever else one can pick up at the delis in Giant Eagle, Weiland’s and the Clintonville Community Market. Granted, you’re not getting any Zagat ratings over here, but there are choices and nearly all of them are good. If it’s alcohol you’re after, there’s plenty of that at several of the aforementioned establishments, as well as the Crest Tavern, Brew-Stir’s and Studio 35. If you want craft beer to go, swing by Pace-High, Weber Market, Palmer’s or Weiland’s. People need to be respectful of the fact that families do live there (families who, when they plan on dropping $80 on a gourmet dinner for two, are willing to drive). The Short North it ain’t, but there is plenty of fun in Clintonville.

Also, fyi – a couple of years back a food cart burst into flames in Clintonville, supposedly on account of faulty wiring. It could happen anywhere, but if you own a home, it’s not something you want happening nearby. I’m all for food carts and their creativity, but let’s try to position them in locations where a similar businesses might have been located otherwise. That’s probably best for them and the benefit of the neigborhood.

“Taxguy” is the most fun person Clintonville could find to retort. :(

hivner1

joev said:
    “Taxguy” is the most fun person Clintonville could find to retort. :(

What’s so bad about having a meeting to express frustrations to the City about the arbitrary and ever-changing regulations that mobile food vendors are forced to comply with?

It’s ironic to me that Clintonville is home to three food carts that people seem to really like (Ray Ray’s if you count where he’s at now, The Coop, Mya’s). They stay put, don’t drive all over the place, and people flock to them. When Foodie Cart used to set up here on the weekends, there was always a long line and he always sold out. The neighborhood supports good things.

The CAC had some serious problems but it looks like those are being worked through under new leadership (time will tell…).

BTW, if someone wants to open up a restaurant with alcohol sales, grab the mechanic lot across from Northstar. Would be a great spot. Big sign out front advertising that you can zone it as a restaurant with alcohol sales (due to a grandfather clause I believe?).

News
    Participant

New Columbus Chefs: Angela Theado
    Published on December 21, 2012 2:00 pm
    By: Walker

When we last spoke with Chef Angela Theado three years ago, she was honing her skills at Alana’s and told us at the time that her dream job consisted of “anything fusing culinary and agricultural pursuits”. Since then, she’s worked toward that goal by launching The Coop, a popular chicken-and-egg themed food truck, in September of 2011. We caught up with Angela recently to learn more about what she’s been doing over the past three years.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-columbus-chefs-angela-theado

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!