Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Food Carts in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Food Carts in Clintonville

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)
  • Author

zp945
    Participant

bob.os wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>
    The problem with Cville’s dining “scene” is still the limits on alcohol, not the food trucks.

How do you figure? There are three sites which were granted liquor permits quite a while back that are sitting empty. Northstar opened up recently on what was a long vacant lot that sat for years with a beer (and I think wine) license.
    Honestly, I think that most of Clintonville people just aren’t go-out-to-eat people.
    And +1 on Walker’s take.

Where are these three sites? I assume you mean 4041 N High and the development at Henderson and High. If so these are good potential sites but they definitely have some drawbacks when you look a little closer. If those aren’t the location you’re talking about, I’d be interested to know where has been approved.

bob.os
    Participant

zp945 wrote >>

bob.os wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>
    The problem with Cville’s dining “scene” is still the limits on alcohol, not the food trucks.

How do you figure? There are three sites which were granted liquor permits quite a while back that are sitting empty. Northstar opened up recently on what was a long vacant lot that sat for years with a beer (and I think wine) license.
    Honestly, I think that most of Clintonville people just aren’t go-out-to-eat people.
    And +1 on Walker’s take.

Where are these three sites? I assume you mean 4041 N High and the development at Henderson and High. If so these are good potential sites but they definitely have some drawbacks when you look a little closer. If those aren’t the location you’re talking about, I’d be interested to know where has been approved.

Yep.

Those and the third one (across from Northstar?) were all on the ballot on the same time, with the promise of developers ready to occupy the spots.

drew
    Participant

I’m baffled. I’ve always believed that Cville punches way below its weight class with respect to the quality and quantity of dining opportunities… so I simply can’t fathom how anyone could be so short sighted as to suggest that the area should get rid of the lion’s share of its worthwhile food experiences.

For what it’s worth, I drive to Clintonville to get Ray Ray’s, Yerba Buena, Pattycake… and that’s it. Aside from them, I can’t think of a single food offering in Clintonville that doesn’t have a (usually much) better and closer alternative elsewhere. Increasingly, the same can be said for non-food related items as well.

When I lived in California, there was a popular bumper sticker that said, “Welcome to California. Now leave!”. I’m kinda getting the same vibe from Clintonville, and I gotta say – I’m increasingly happy to comply.

feedthebeast

DeFourny doesn’t represent the interest of Clintonville well.. neither does the CAC.

drew
    Participant

feedthebeast wrote >>
    DeFourny doesn’t represent the interest of Clintonville well.. neither does the CAC.

By and large I do believe you, but it’d be nice if the news coming out of Clintonville reflected that.

Instead, here’s what the news tells me – Clintonville doesn’t want to serve me alcohol, doesn’t want to make it easy for me to drive there, and doesn’t want to provide the kind of food options that are being embraced almost everywhere else. In short, the news says – Clintonville doesn’t want me.

It gives me no pleasure to say that, but I think it’s an entirely worthwhile point that should be heard. There are consequences to the flavor of political assfoolery that Clintonville seems to specialize in, and I suspect that they could amount to a loss of revenue for their businesses that would far far exceed any imaginary problems caused by a few food trucks.

cbus11

I could be wrong, but I have always thought that Clintonville has a secret fear of becoming like North Campus and that some of their policies are meant to try and keep it a quieter residential area as percieved ‘outsider’ tentacles continue to expand. In my mind there is a large ‘keeping the status quo’ mentality.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Instead, here’s what the news tells me – Clintonville doesn’t want to serve me alcohol, doesn’t want to make it easy for me to drive there, and doesn’t want to provide the kind of food options that are being embraced almost everywhere else. In short, the news says – Clintonville doesn’t want me.

Yep, and frankly Clintonville ain’t got nothing I want. Send the trucks down here to SN/VV and we’ll gladly make them busy. Clintonville can continue to be known for their anti-business policies.

Pablo
    Participant

If you follow DeFourny’s logic, any new business is a threat to existing businesses so there should be no new businesses. My guess some old time restaurant owner complained. It’s BS and DeFourny is a joke with me and my CV friends.

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

+1 to MCoyote, we’ll gladly accept all the CV food trucks down here, Yerba Buena can park in front of my house if they like!

feedthebeast

I wish District 1,2 and 3 could leave the CAC and form its own interest group. I’m just guessing here but I think these districts are less conservative than the ones north of North Broadway. We also have the strip of High Street that is suitable for more interesting commercial usage.

I’m definitely keeping a close eye on the next election in my district.

bob.os
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

drew wrote >>

Yep, and frankly Clintonville ain’t got nothing I want. Send the trucks down here to SN/VV and we’ll gladly make them busy. Clintonville can continue to be known for their anti-business policies.

Yeah, but there’s nowhere to park in the SN. :)

mbeaumont
    Participant

I love Columbus, but the status quo is never what has kept me here.

The thing that’s kept me in this town is that every year it keeps getting BETTER (and food trucks are part of that).

If people are happy with the way Columbus is now, and not pining for what Columbus could be/will be/should be, then that’s fine, but it’s not the town I want to be in.

bababoohi

bob.os wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>

And +1 on Walker’s take.

Exactly my point, you’re naming 3 specific sites in Clintonville. I think that would quailify as a limit on alcohol. My thing is that Cville would benefit from having a few blocks that each had 2-3 restaurants. To achieve that I think they would all need to serve liquor. I get your point on Northstar, but honestly NS is a pretty specialized restaurant and it’s not like there’s a bar in there. I doubt much of their business relys on alcohol sales.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

bababoohi wrote >>

bob.os wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>

And +1 on Walker’s take.

Exactly my point, you’re naming 3 specific sites in Clintonville. I think that would quailify as a limit on alcohol. My thing is that Cville would benefit from having a few blocks that each had 2-3 restaurants. To achieve that I think they would all need to serve liquor. I get your point on Northstar, but honestly NS is a pretty specialized restaurant and it’s not like there’s a bar in there. I doubt much of their business relys on alcohol sales.

The sites approved for alcohol (not necessarily a license) were owned by a developer looking into getting other businesses into their spaces, but if you have to go through a ballot to get a liquor license, it’s easier to take business elsewhere. It’s less risky to get a lease in another area with no licenses and then just buy one on the open market. So the scenario is an example of why things aren’t right for bringing in more restaurants and bars to Clintonville.

bob.os
    Participant

meltsintowonder wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>

bob.os wrote >>

bababoohi wrote >>

And +1 on Walker’s take.

The sites approved for alcohol (not necessarily a license) were owned by a developer looking into getting other businesses into their spaces, but if you have to go through a ballot to get a liquor license, it’s easier to take business elsewhere. It’s less risky to get a lease in another area with no licenses and then just buy one on the open market. So the scenario is an example of why things aren’t right for bringing in more restaurants and bars to Clintonville.

Yes, but what I’m pointing out is that for those three sites the playing field is even. The ballot is done, and yet no one is willing to try in any of the sites, even with the supposed magic bullet of serving alcohol.

Given that there have been two sites (Northstar and Smith’s) who were able to start serving with no ballot measure, and the number of bars on Indianola and south of N. Broadway I’d have to guess that there are other existing sites out there that don’t require a ballot measure, either already approved or grandfathered 3.2 beer sites. The former Pizza Hut (now Starbucks & Cash for Gold) at E. N. Broad & High comes to mind.

Has anyone done the research on this? Honestly, I’m not even sure where to start.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!