Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Flaxella Deli Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Flaxella Deli Downtown

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    crsimp01
    crsimp01
    Participant

I don’t know if anyone has posted anything on this already or not, if so, I apologize. BUT…what was to be the L’Appat place at Long and 3rd downtown now has a sign saying the Flaxella Deli would be in place there soon. It apparently will focus on flax seed based foods. Interesting.

dru
    Participant

Did either of the 2 previous tenants – My Cousin Vino and L’Appat – in that space even open? I remember seeing a menu floated for the latter, but never remember seeing either of them actually open their doors.

Hopefully Flaxella has a better, long-standing run.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I heard that it is going to be an Ethiopian deli/cafe carry-out, but haven’t talked to the owners. Hopefully they can make it work. The owner of L’Appat never got it off the ground because of a lot of unforeseen issues with that building.

budser1228
    Participant

Flaxella looked to be open this morning when I drove by. The door was propped open and the neon coffee signs were lit up.

Tenzo
    Participant

Was open when I drove home last night.
    The signs still said L’Appat though

OSURob
    Participant

I went inside this morning on the way to work. I was excited as I have worked downtown for 10 years and never seen the doors to this building actually open! They had coffee and some store bought bagels inside. Coffee tasted like the standard gas station blend, but it was only $1. The guy working there said they will start offering breakfast and lunch sandwiches eventually.

flexhappy

Dear current and future friends

Thank you very much for your support during the process. It took a while but with your help Flaxella is now finally open. Some things are incomplete still but we promise you they will be fulilled as we go by, together.

The door was open last week but meant to get customers in for a look and conversation. However as of this week, we are ready to cater the flax drinks. Also we carry Flax crackers and oils for your extra needs. Fine chocolates and soft drinks are also available. This is not to mention the expresso and capucinos we offer.

Come and join us. Give us your feedback, however good or bad, and together let us make Ohians stay healthy. We feature only high end Ethiopiana and Costarican coffee only. We will customize (strong or mild) for you if there is a need. Just tell us.

Franchise opportunity is available just in case.

thanks
    The Flaxella Group

patient_zero
    Participant

dru said:
    Did either of the 2 previous tenants – My Cousin Vino and L’Appat – in that space even open? I remember seeing a menu floated for the latter, but never remember seeing either of them actually open their doors.

Hopefully Flaxella has a better, long-standing run.

L’Appat never opened there despite the awnings, but looks awesome on Oak Street:
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/lappat-patisserie-cafe-opens-in-olde-towne-east

The owner of Flaxella, Godofai, is super nice and I enjoy stopping in there. I’ve had his Ethiopian coffee the last few visits, and it was flavorful, without being too strong. More flavorful and complex than any gas station coffee I’ve ever tasted. :]

I promised to get something with flax seed foam on my next visit, and I look forward to to some of his flax based pastries in the future.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2011/09/28/benefits-of-flaxseed-touted-at-new-spot-in-downtown-columbus.html

OSURob
    Participant

Ive been back since my first post and the coffee is much better. The owner says that he originally opened with regular coffee but now uses Ethiopian beans. He also has a ton of flax crackers and will eventually offer breakfast and lunch sandwiches. Just please no crepes!

patient_zero
    Participant

The building is still boarded up, and possibly deemed unsafe to enter after the September 5th car crash that left three injured. There is a posting on the door stating something of that nature.

I worry that Gogofai was injured, as the interior is still littered with bricks and bent metal furniture, etc. Debris goes all the way up to the counter, and he was known to stand by the door when he didn’t have a customer there.

Anyone know of his status?

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/05/3/3-injured-when-car-crashes-downtown-building-ar-1161012/

futureman
    Participant

patient_zero said:
    The building is still boarded up, and possibly deemed unsafe to enter after the September 5th car crash that left three injured. There is a posting on the door stating something of that nature.

I worry that Gogofai was injured, as the interior is still littered with bricks and bent metal furniture, etc. Debris goes all the way up to the counter, and he was known to stand by the door when he didn’t have a customer there.

Anyone know of his status?

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/05/3/3-injured-when-car-crashes-downtown-building-ar-1161012/

The building is going to be demolished – http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Downtown_Commission/Meetings/2012/DtCommAgendaB%201012%20Oct%2023.pdf

Final review for Certificate of Appropriateness for the demolition of small building

89 E. Long Street

The building was originally a car rental office and most recently a café / bodega. A vehicle ran into the building in September of this year. The building had already experienced problems because it’s floor was giving way due to improper filling from a prior building. The remainder of the site parks 64 spaces.

patient_zero
    Participant

Bummer. Gary Seman from ThisWeek Community News must have made contact Gogofai, as he’s quoted in a recent post.

Owner Godofai Tgiorgios said the property owners do not want to rebuild. Tgiorgios said he would like to open another location, but doesn’t know where or when.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/2012/10/23/tabletalk.html

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

hopefully it is on to better things for that corner! I didn’t have a chance to stop in there as Flaxella, but I’ve always thought that building was a complete eyesore and am kind of surprised he was able to get a permit in a building with a rotting floor.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: