Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Five-Story Warehouse Converting to Student Housing

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Five-Story Warehouse Converting to Student Housing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Five-Story Warehouse May Become Student Housing Near CSCC
    June 18, 2014 3:08 pm – Walker Evans

If you’re one of the 25,000 students enrolled at Columbus State Community College (CSCC) and you take classes at the main campus in Downtown Columbus, then you’re probably already aware that your options to live within walking distance of your classrooms is extremely limited. That may change soon as BalletMet is considering redeveloping a vacant five-story warehouse building that it owns at 358 Mount Vernon Ave — just a block west of the college — which could be converted to student-oriented apartments.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/five-story-warehouse-may-become-student-housing-near-cscc

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

With the right windows installed, the transformation of this building could be as amazing as the Julian:

futureman
    Participant

Business First as a rendering of what it could look like. Looks good, other than the blue green color. I’d prefer to stay the natural brick color myself.

Rendering

BalletMet considering sale of neighboring building for student housing
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter- Columbus Business First
    Jun 18, 2014, 11:31am EDT

BalletMet is considering selling a former document storage building next to its offices for redevelopment as student housing.

Donna Zianni, BalletMet’s director of finance and administration, said the five-story, 94-year-old building at 358 Mount Vernon Ave. is not in contract but has drawn interest.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/06/18/balletmet-considering-sale-of-neighboring-building.html

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

New proposal and renderings for the building on Mount Vernon Ave… liking the all-glass penthouse levels, nice change from the norm, although something seems not-quite-right with the balance the overhang gives.
    BalletMet New Proposal – Business First

balletmet mount vernon ave

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I don’t know what to think from that rendering. I like the idea of additional floors added but I don’t think the rendering really shows how it will look. Obviously in the real thing a single pane of glass won’t be the width of the whole building and you won’t be able to see the floor plates as easily as that.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

A few extra minutes to thrown in some street trees, lights, etc. goes a long way in making these renderings more appealing. A little green can warm up even the coldest looking design. That said, the top two “penthouse” floors is a great idea and its nice that they plan on preserving the building.

ohbr
    Participant

Something about the shape scream ‘Joe Dirt’ or bad toupé to me. I don’t know why. I don’t dislike it but that’s what it makes me think of.

WJT
    Participant

Something about the shape scream ‘Joe Dirt’ or bad toupé to me. I don’t know why. I don’t dislike it but that’s what it makes me think of.

It doesn’t look like a toupee…more like a big ugly giant comb-over. And it shall be called, “The Donald”.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Probably how the top addition overhangs the front and then goes down the back.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Bored with generic paint app. I think it needs some type of angle on the top section.

Before

After

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I like the plan to reuse and add floors, but I agree that the overhang on the addition just doesn’t seem to fit. If they scaled that back to the same plane as they existing building I think it would work a lot better.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’m also curious about the stacked mechanical parking. I think that’s a unique idea for the area. Although I’m not sure how it works in practice. If your car is at top of the stack do the other cars all have to lowered and temporarily driven out so you can get to your car?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I believe the Carlyle (sp?) at Gay and 3rd also utilizes stacked parking.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Yes, Carlyles Watch has that parking system. When a car on the second level has to get out the entire structure is lowered into the floor until the second level is even with the ground.

UrbanApplachian
    Participant

I think the rendering is fine conceptually, although I wonder if the sidewalks will need to be widened to accommodate trees. The building as it stands now has little architectural value, so the deconstructivist meets vanilla renovation works fine for me. I like the drama of the overhang. Downtown needs more buildings like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: