Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fishy Friday?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Fishy Friday?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m not catholic but I do love a good fish fry. And this time of year it seems they pop up all over the place. Anyone have a favorite church/non-traditional restaurant that does fish frys on fridays during lent?

I’d like to hit up more than the one I’ve been to.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t been, but they have had Barley’s Scottish and Pale ale on tap at the Immaculate Conception Fish Fry for at least a few years.
    My go to lenten Friday supper is fish tacos (Jesus wants us to drink margaritas) My only dilemma is that I make my tortillas with lard (Does Jesus want me to use Crisco? I don’t think so…)

Patch
    Participant

We hit the 4S club on whittier last week.

It was pretty darn good, $10 all-u-can-eat.

lifeliberty
    Participant
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Tenzo
    Participant

I usually go to a fake pub.
    The new one at Polaris Mall is pretty good.

If the wife wants me not to eat meat on Fridays, I ask to go to a place that has decent Scotch Ale.

I find, many things Catholic, much more palatable with a high alcohol content drink.

Bear
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    I find, many things Catholic, much more palatable with a high alcohol content drink.

As they say, when in Rome. ;-)

lifeliberty
    Participant

I ordered the Danney’s Deli Fish sandwich for lunch today. it’s your basic fried fish on a bun, but it’s good.

last week I went to the Rhodes tower basement cafeteria for their fish fry Fridays. I couldn’t eat it. I had to throw it out. I’ve had their fish before and it was good, but I think they were too busy during Lent and quality plummeted.

Then there is always Whale shrimp fish chicken on 5th ave just East of 71. scary neighborhood, tasty fried fish. Though they too can be hit or miss. The first time I had them I thought it was the tastiest home fried fish around. The last time it was a little bland. but it’s not off my list, it’s still good.

I love Old bag of nails fish.

patient_zero
    Participant

Why not try Banana Bean Cafe[/url] for Lent?

Po Boy’s With Money
    Choice of Oyster, Soft Shell or Deep Fried Shrimp – Your Choice of; Cornmeal-Dusted
    Oyster, Whole Soft Shell Crab, or Shrimp with Lettuce, Tomato, house-made
    Horseradish Tarter, and Remoulade on Grilled French Bread
    ……… $14
    Fish Taco’s and Burrito’s

Islamorada Fish Burrito – Your Choice of Grilled Orange Cilantro Shrimp or Beer Batter Cod
    with Avocado Mash, Mango-habañero Ketchup, Mexican Crema, Shaved Lettuce, Red
    Onion, Scallions, and Manchego Cheese Wrapped in a Fire Grilled Soft Tortilla
    …. $9

Diego’s Fish Taco’s – Deep Fried Beer Batter Cod, Freshly Formed Taco Shell, Shredded
    Cabbage, Sherry-Cayenne Mayo, Tomato, Scallions, Sour Cream and Avocado Mash
    …………. $9

groundrules
    Participant

Wendys has that atlantic cod special right now. Treat your lady right.

Capon

Immaculate Conception Church, 414 E N Broadway, Clintonville, has a pretty good fish fry during Lent. They feature fried or baked fish, steak fries, vegetable, cole slaw, apple sauce, rolls, pizza, mac-n-cheese, ice cream and home made assorted desserts. Besides water, lemonade, soda, or coffee, they also offer Barley’s Scottish and Pale Ales in addition to popular bottle beers. No wine though. $8 for adults and $4 for children. Dine in or carry out.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Went to Immaculate Conception last Friday. I thought it was just ok. $8 carryout gets you a roll and butter, green beans, 2 fish fillets, and some wedge fries. the green beans were straight out of a can, or so it seemed, i couldn’t eat them. the fries were lacking flavor. the fish was good, nice batter. the roll was good.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>
    I’m not catholic but I do love a good fish fry. And this time of year it seems they pop up all over the place. Anyone have a favorite church/non-traditional restaurant that does fish frys on fridays during lent?
    I’d like to hit up more than the one I’ve been to.

bumping my own thread. I still love me some greasy church fish fry.

Anyone know of some this year?

lifeliberty
    Participant

not church related, but FYI Wale fish and shrimp may have closed.

AnneD

We went to St. Elizabeth’s last year (just off of 161) and it was pretty terrible. It was the first church fish fry I’d seen advertised here but it was awful.

I grew up in Cleveland and so many churches there had really excellent lenten dinners, was kind of sad to see they don’t happen so much in Columbus. (Not that I’m still a Catholic, I just like a good fish fry.)

I recently had fish and chips at Claddaugh and I really liked the bigger-than-your-head piece of fried fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO