Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

First renderings of Port Columbus\' new terminal

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation First renderings of Port Columbus\' new terminal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

BusinessFirst has the scoop on Port Columbus’ new terminal renderings. The $1.3 billion terminal is expected to be up and running 15 years from now.

There are also plans for a new rental car facility, set to open in 2020.

dru
    Participant

?

In the second rendering, much of the current terminal, which they are spending $80-million to renovate, no longer exists? The parking structure and the main concourse are there, but terminals A,B & C are gone. The renovation was touted to “Ensure the functional lifespan of the Port Columbus terminal for at least another 20 years.”

I get it is conceptual, but really, the want to raze most of what they’re spending 80-million on in 15-years?

Also, it does not look like much net gain in gates.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Here’s some background:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/04/28/port-columbus-could-use-a-new-terminal-in-15-years.html

The new faculty would have 48 gates (and be expandable beyond that) compared to the current 29.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

?

In the second rendering, much of the current terminal, which they are spending $80-million to renovate, no longer exists? The parking structure and the main concourse are there, but terminals A,B & C are gone. The renovation was touted to “Ensure the functional lifespan of the Port Columbus terminal for at least another 20 years.”

I get it is conceptual, but really, the want to raze most of what they’re spending 80-million on in 15-years?

Also, it does not look like much net gain in gates.

According to an April article in the Dispatch, you are correct: the current terminal would be razed.

In addition to the new terminal and rental car facility, the Dispatch reported: “The plan also includes a parking garage with 5,441 spaces…. A ground transportation center would include space for light-rail service, should it materialize, between the airport and Downtown.”

tonloc620
    Participant

15 years from now we will all be riding around in driverless cars, is a 5400 space parking garage and a three level car rental garage really going to be necessary?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

All those driverless cars can’t just drive around until we need them, unless you think we’ll able to summon them to pick us up Uber-style, in which case I’d say…that’s probably a little more than 15 years away, but you make a darn good point.

jbcmh81
    Participant

In that case, why build the multi-modal transit station, since everyone will apparently have self-driving cars?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Not sure if serious, but not everyone will own a car then just like not everyone owns a car now. Having multiple forms of transit will always be important, no matter the proliferation of self-driving vehicles.

Or at least until teleporting is a thing. ;)

Back on topic: Does anyone have an opinion on the design of the new terminal?

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I’m not sure why they don’t build a second terminal, designed to be expandable, but connect it to the current terminal. The second one could be just for Delta or something since they seem to have the most Columbus flights. It does seem like a waste to demolish the terminal their currently spending money on.

Kilgore Trout
    Kilgore Trout
    Participant

…second terminal…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    _calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

I’m not sure why they don’t build a second terminal, designed to be expandable, but connect it to the current terminal. The second one could be just for Delta or something since they seem to have the most Columbus flights. It does seem like a waste to demolish the terminal their currently spending money on.

The current upgrades only make the older terminal viable for another 15 years, which is when the current terminal is expected to not be able to handle the 8 million+ people coming into and going out of Columbus through CMH.

Although, on one hand, will the new terminal be open BY 2030, or will construction begin in 2030? I know its preliminary but I seem to be hearing two different things.

Also, lastly, I applaud the Port Authority for making plans such as this. They seem to have set back money in the 2016-17 budget to begin on these actual projects which in the long run will make Columbus competitive and such.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

15 years from now we will all be riding around in driverless cars…

columbusmike
    Participant

I always thought it would be nice if the terminal design related to the local architecture. All airports seem to be futuristic…it would be really interesting to see a terminal that mimics an old industrial warehouse or some other typical midwestern structure.

Pablo
    Participant

This isn’t new info, the plan have been around for at least 10 years. The new runway bridge, 670 access and relocation of the south runway are all in preparation for a new terminal.

http://www.cbre.us/o/Columbus/AssetLibrary/AirportConceptPlan.pdf

Lu
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>

I always thought it would be nice if the terminal design related to the local architecture. All airports seem to be futuristic…it would be really interesting to see a terminal that mimics an old industrial warehouse or some other typical midwestern structure.

Completely agree. I like the idea of a “Midwest industrial” theme. Albuquerque’s “sunport” is one of my favorites because of its southwest architecture, furniture and art, with lots of warm colors and exposed wood. As soon as you arrive, it feels special and completely different from the typical generic airport.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: