Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

First Congregational Church on Broad Street - safe area?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A First Congregational Church on Broad Street – safe area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

BNpeace

Hello all!

My fiance and I are thinking of getting married at First Congregational Church in downtown Columbus, on Broad & Cleveland (ish) just south of CCAD and next to the Columbus Museum of Art. Though it feels perfectly safe on Sunday mornings, we don’t venture downtown much; would this area be considered safe on a Saturday late afternoon? We have some elderly guests and don’t want the added worry of safety. Thought I’d run it by the Columbus experts!

Thank you so much!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

You’ll be fine. I’m trying to remember what the hours are for SID (the safety ambassadors) but I am almost positive they should be out and about at that time. Security at CCAD, State Auto, Motorist, CSCC and the Art Museum are on a shared radio network and can pass info to each other pretty easy.

Standard precautions apply, like not leaving the GPS on the dashboard during the ceremony.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

This is a fine area, other than the occasional car break-in, nothing really to worry about.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I’m trying to remember what the hours are for SID (the safety ambassadors) but I am almost positive they should be out and about at that time.

The SID doesn’t extend that far over:

http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/docs/Crossroads%202007%20Boundary.pdf

But anyway, yeah… that area is typically pretty safe in the late Saturday afternoons. Always be aware of your surroundings, but not much of a crime haven.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I’m trying to remember what the hours are for SID (the safety ambassadors) but I am almost positive they should be out and about at that time.

The SID doesn’t extend that far over:
    http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/docs/Crossroads%202007%20Boundary.pdf
    But anyway, yeah… that area is typically pretty safe in the late Saturday afternoons. Always be aware of your surroundings, but not much of a crime haven.

Discovery District is the one I am thinking of. Both are run by the same security company here in town.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

BNpeace wrote >>
    Hello all!
    My fiance and I are thinking of getting married at First Congregational Church in downtown Columbus, on Broad & Cleveland (ish) just south of CCAD and next to the Columbus Museum of Art. Though it feels perfectly safe on Sunday mornings, we don’t venture downtown much; would this area be considered safe on a Saturday late afternoon? We have some elderly guests and don’t want the added worry of safety. Thought I’d run it by the Columbus experts!
    Thank you so much!

It wouldn’t even occur to me to think of feeling unsafe in that area on a Saturday afternoon. To be honest, I can’t really think of anywhere in downtown proper that feels unsafe during daylight hours.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Oooh, I wonder if you could have a reception at the art museum? Not trying to be the boss of you, but that seems like it would be so much fun. :)

tourist19
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    Oooh, I wonder if you could have a reception at the art museum? Not trying to be the boss of you, but that seems like it would be so much fun. :)

Oooooh yes. And pictures in the Topiary Park! I would see wedding pics being done all the time there when I lived down the street.

ZHC

lifeontwowheels wrote Discovery District is the one I am thinking of. Both are run by the same security company here in town.

Yup, you’re right LOTW. DD SID applies
    http://www.discoverydistrict.com/who-we-are/discovery-district-map
    In general there is very little major violent crime downtown, some nuisance stuff like vandalism and car break ins, but rarely ever assaults.

The area is pretty popular for weddings given the proximity to Topriary park. I think the OP should be more than fine having a wedding there.

BNpeace

Thank you, thank you everyone! Oh how I wish I could have a reception at the Columbus Museum of Art…so magical…alas, limited budget. Will be a beautiful day regardless, will have to check out the park referenced!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: