Our City Online

Messageboard - Video Games

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Final Issue of Nintendo Power

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Video Games Final Issue of Nintendo Power

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

After 24 years, Nintendo Power magazine is publishing for the last time with this months issue. As someone who had the first issue at 8 years old, it was always a celebrated day when a new one would arrive in the mail.

RIP: http://www.nintendopower.com

PS: The final issue cover is a nice homage to the first issue’s cover:

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I too loved Nintendo Power as a kid.

Such fond memories of that video game generation, specifically the NES. Super Mario Bros. Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, Contra, Final Fantasy, and so on.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

A sad occasion for 80s-era gamers indeed, but honestly, NP really lost its relevance during the 32/64-bit console era with Sony’s rise to market dominance with the PlayStation and never made a meaningful comeback afterward. It’s prime was really in the late 80s when the NES dominated the video game console market, and then also to a lesser extent when Nintendo faced off with Sega in the heated Genesis-Super NES war.

Nintendo used to publish NP in house, but spun it off to a third-party publisher about a decade ago to streamline its operations. I guess that deal has run its course.

leftovers

I am surprised they aren’t keeping it as some online entity. As a magazine a lot has changed since 1988.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NEOBuckeye said:
    NP really lost its relevance during the 32/64-bit console era with Sony’s rise to market dominance with the PlayStation and never made a meaningful comeback afterward.

NP really lost its relevance during the 32/64-bit console era (mid 90s to early 2000s)… because that’s when the internet became a household utility for many Americans. Video game magazines are unnecessary with video game blogs, news sites, game FAQs and later on instructional YoubTube videos.

geoyui
    Participant

I’m honestly surprised NP was still in circulation. Very cool final cover.

Everytime I think of Nintendo Power, I think of the Nintendo Power Glove

dubdave00
    Participant

Anyone remember the Howard & Nester comics they had in there? Lol… amazing how a story can trigger a memory.

The late 80s / early 90s were a fun era for gaming. I’ve totally lost interest since, not sure why.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

did Mario ever wear a blue hat?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Walker said:
    NP really lost its relevance during the 32/64-bit console era (mid 90s to early 2000s)… because that’s when the internet became a household utility for many Americans. Video game magazines are unnecessary with video game blogs, news sites, game FAQs and later on instructional YoubTube videos.

Excellent point, Walker. That period saw the demise of a lot of gaming mags.

By the way, does anyone remember Sega having its own answer to NP? Wasn’t it called “Sega Visions” or something like that?

vestanpance said:
    did Mario ever wear a blue hat?

Actually he did… in the Mario Bros. arcade game.
    Mario Bros. Wikipedia Entry

Graybeak
    Participant

In other news, other publications also stopped printing…

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

dubdave00 said:
    Anyone remember the Howard & Nester comics they had in there? Lol… amazing how a story can trigger a memory.

The late 80s / early 90s were a fun era for gaming. I’ve totally lost interest since, not sure why.

Howard and Nester! That used to be one of my favorite parts of reading NP. Those comics were originally penned by Howard Phillips, who was the “Nintendo Fun Club President” and editor of the Nintendo Fun Club magazine that preceded Nintendo Power. He stayed on as an editor of NP for about 2 or 3 years before leaving the magazine and Nintendo entirely. He was always rumored to have collected over 300 NES games. He was the guy that every gamer with an NES then wanted to be like when they grew up.

If you wanna take a trip down memory lane, here’s an interview with his son.
    http://www.vice.com/read/my-dad-the-game-master-846-v16n4

GCrites80s
    Participant

Game Informer really crushed the other magazines by being associated with Game Stop. Game Informer has the highest circulation of any magazine outside of the AARP magazaines and Costo’s member magazine.

Game Informer outsells:

Better Homes and Gardens
    Reader’s Digest
    Time
    People
    National Geographic
    Sports Illustrated
    Cosmopolitan

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Game Informer really crushed the other magazines by being associated with Game Stop. Game Informer has the highest circulation of any magazine outside of the AARP magazaines and Costo’s member magazine.

Game Informer outsells:

Better Homes and Gardens
    Reader’s Digest
    Time
    People
    National Geographic
    Sports Illustrated
    Cosmopolitan

The funny thing is that Game Informer isn’t even really all that great of a magazine. It’s like the gaming-mag equivalent of the generic store brand section at Krogers or Giant Eagle. Pretty dry, low grade quality, and straightforward, all novice stuff, but I guess that’s coming from an ex-hardcore gamer looking for much more than just a buying guide for clueless parents trying to keep their kids occupied.

Personally, I was always more into Electronic Gaming Monthly. There were a couple of other more hardcore magazines that rose and fell over the years, but EGM was the one that really seemed to have its finger on the pulse of the industry and stayed close to the core gaming community without selling out to game publishers just to stay afloat, which along with the Internet may have led to its (temporary) demise.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I subscribe to EGM, but they only put issues out sporadically. I actually need to go back to Game Informer so that I’m not so clueless about new games coming out since I mostly play retro and we only do used, er, pre-owned. I don’t really like reading that kind of stuff online.

I’ll tell you a mag I really dig: Retro Gamer. Each issue’s $10 and it comes from a British perspective (which means a lot of articles about Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and MSX games), but I find it very entertaining.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Video Games’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!