Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Abortion Bill

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio Abortion Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 340 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

reelfreak wrote >>
    Abortion is murder, plain and simple.

Nothing about abortion is “plain and simple.” If you think so, I’d say you are (at best) misinformed and I would definitely consider your broader judgment suspect.

reelfreak
    Participant

I realize the reasons for seeking an abortion and the decision to have one may not be simple, but the act of abortion is murder. I’m sure it haunts some while others may not give it a second thought.

There was a woman in Minnesota that recently tried to mail a puppy to her son in Georgia. A comment was made that animals cannot speak, they’re silent victims. Thousands of people wanted to adopt that animal. Yet, millions of abortions have taken place and many people are indifferent about it. Yeah, that bothers me.

labi
    Participant

reelfreak wrote >>
    I realize the reasons for seeking an abortion and the decision to have one may not be simple, but the act of abortion is murder…and many people are indifferent about it. Yeah, that bothers me.

I’m not sure what would make someone so convinced that “many” people “may not give [having an abortion] a second thought.” I guess it’s simply not something I have ever experienced among my friends or family, or even heard of a friend-of-a-friend doing. And if it’s true, what would make you think that those kind of people should be raising children? As RedSun points out (regarding a different scenario), the glorious birth of the baby is not exactly the end of the story.

cbus11

I am pro-choice, but recent experience has opened my eyes a bit. I am close friends with a couple who are in their early 40’s but lack children. I guess career or ‘life’ got in their way. They have spent a lot of money looking at natural child birth (very risky at that age) and then started looking into foreign adoption ($$$$) and then into Franklin County’s foster services (which has an adoption program but is frought with time, redtape and no guarantees).

There are a lot of local families looking to adopt. I guess it is part of the new economy, but there seem to be a lot of people in their 40’s who wish to have families only to find that their biological clocks have run their course. I think that abortion should always remain an option, but I guess as I get older, I see more people wishing they had the opportunity to raise a child. This is just my two cents, ymmv. I guess I would just like to say that adoption seems to have a waiting and caring ‘market’. I guess in our 20’s and 30’s we tend to think there is always time.

reelfreak
    Participant

Labi, where did I say that many people may not give a second thought to having an abortion? I used the word “others” and you turned it into “many”. However, many people are indifferent to abortion. You keep attempting to go beyond what I have written. Some of the issues brought up by you and others have merit, but I’m not addressing all of the residuals with my posts. In fact, I’m done with the topic as there is no winner at the end.

reelfreak
    Participant

Labi, where did I say that many people may not give a second thought to having an abortion? I used the word “others” and you turned it into “many”. However, many people are indifferent to abortion. You keep attempting to go beyond what I have written. Some of the issues brought up by you and others have merit, but I’m not addressing all of the residuals with my posts. No disrespect, but I’m done with the topic as there is no value in going back and forth about it.

Twixlen
    Participant

reelfreak wrote >>
    I realize the reasons for seeking an abortion and the decision to have one may not be simple, but the act of abortion is murder. I’m sure it haunts some while others may not give it a second thought.
    There was a woman in Minnesota that recently tried to mail a puppy to her son in Georgia. A comment was made that animals cannot speak, they’re silent victims. Thousands of people wanted to adopt that animal. Yet, millions of abortions have taken place and many people are indifferent about it. Yeah, that bothers me.

You do realize that over 4 million animals are euthanized from pounds in this country every year? I find “thousands of people wanting to adopt” a single animal very disingenuous. AND I think that anyone who chooses to share their lives with pets feels anything but indifferent about it.

That said, I see a couple comments about the numbers of people looking to adopt & I’ll share my experiences in this. I know 3 couples who have ultimately adopted children. None have chosen to go the route of state adoptions simply because there is no control over the history of the child – and it very much matters. A couple have done foreign adoptions, but as those have become more and more costly & countries have put extremely tough restrictions in place, the other couple I know was lucky enough to find someone interested in a private adoption.

The folks that I’ve known have all had to go through some extreme medical stuff (years of it) before finally deciding to adopt – and they want the healthiest possible baby, just like any prospective parent. Babies in the system are likely to come from dire situations; addiction, incest, mental illness…. women (girls) who aren’t impacted by those sorts of things generally seek out private adoptions.

I’ve also seen foster care & kids who’ve been in the system for years. I knew a 14 year old who was raped by her uncle, repeatedly, and knew that she’d had an abortion. Would it have been better for her to carry a child? To have no support system, extreme abuse all around her? It’s not a movie – life can be ugly and messy and painful. Abortion isn’t a choice that is taken lightly for the vast majority of women & girls who undergo the procedure. In ending that potential for life, the already-established life is saved – isn’t that worth anything?

Another thought – one friend, who eventually adopted, managed to carry one pregnancy to right around 6 months (I can’t remember how many weeks). At that time, the heartbeat was lost, the fetus had died. She eventually had to go thru a procedure that many would like to see made illegal, because there is so little regard for the woman (and family)who suffers that sort of loss. It’s not common, but it *does* happen.

labi
    Participant

reelfreak wrote >>
    Labi, where did I say that many people may not give a second thought to having an abortion? I used the word “others” and you turned it into “many”. However, many people are indifferent to abortion. You keep attempting to go beyond what I have written.

Reel, I don’t mean to push you personally, but what I notice is that almost every “pro-life” person brings up their sense that women have abortions carelessly, and that people somehow don’t care about the fact that abortion results in a potential life lost. What I’m saying is that I personally have never encountered either scenario. I am genuinely curious how some people become convinced that both are true, and why that seems to prey on their minds so much. I find that there are multiple horrible decisions that people have to make throughout life, decisions that leave us with the deepest kind of lasting regrets. I consider it part of life. It’s why I think your “plain and simple” phrase is a poor one to use in relation to any aspect of abortion.

Mic
    Participant

The only stance I argue anymore is women will continue to choose to have them, so let’s keep them safe and legal. Let’s acknowledge the reality. The definition of “life,” “murder,” etc. with regard to abortion is so endlessly subjective. If I were the prosecution, I’d cross-examine the fetus by bringing in a doctor and a hanger: “How’d you rather go?”

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

reelfreak wrote >>
    I realize the reasons for seeking an abortion and the decision to have one may not be simple, but the act of abortion is murder.

So what babies are assholes.

misskitty
    Participant

This is always such a complicated subject.

Someone Tell me one thing why is it that the republicans are usually Pro-Life yet they are anti-Welfare and things of that nature. You would think they would want more people to abort so they would not have to support any more people on their supposed dime? It’s a little odd
    We should give the Pill out to people for free but then all the pro-life people would try to have that changed as well. Apparently they want kids everywhere and they don’t want to take care of them when the parents fail or don’t want to deal with it.
    Abortions not cheap so chances are people don’t use that as a standard birth control option. People love to use that argument but I have never seen anyone back that idea up with facts or numbers. I believe it’s a scare tactic.

Anyway
    I am Pro-Choice or Pro-Abortion depending on the particular situation. I have a kid and since I had him the pill is my best friend if the pill should fail me well……

AmyD
    Participant

The thing with saying “except in certain situations” regarding abortion is that it’s a slippery slope and impossible to say who has a valid reason in that person’s opinion and who doesn’t.
    I’m pro-choice/ anti-unwanted baby. My doctor is Catholic and not would prefer no one have abortions. But being a DOCTOR, he knows the benefit of this procedure. He said to me, “if you get pregnant, you must come in right away and we have to terminate it or it would be fatal.”
    My situation is not unique. I have 3 kids.
    Also, isn’t it dangerous to have an abortion before 8 weeks? I can’t recall why. anyone?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Senate OKs abortion ban after 20 weeks

THURSDAY, APRIL 7, 2011
    BY JIM SIEGEL
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Ohio took another step toward outlawing late-term abortions with yesterday’s Senate approval of a bill that would ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy if a doctor determines that the fetus could live outside the womb.

The 24-8 vote was the latest in a series of actions this year on abortion-related bills in the Republican-controlled legislature.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/07/copy/senate-oks-abortion-ban-after-20-weeks.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Twixlen
    Participant

It’s really like the next 3.4 years can’t pass quickly enough.

berdawn

AmyD wrote >>
    The thing with saying “except in certain situations” regarding abortion is that it’s a slippery slope and impossible to say who has a valid reason in that person’s opinion and who doesn’t.
    I’m pro-choice/ anti-unwanted baby. My doctor is Catholic and not would prefer no one have abortions. But being a DOCTOR, he knows the benefit of this procedure. He said to me, “if you get pregnant, you must come in right away and we have to terminate it or it would be fatal.”
    My situation is not unique. I have 3 kids.
    Also, isn’t it dangerous to have an abortion before 8 weeks? I can’t recall why. anyone?

I’ve never read anything like that. It’s more common now, but it used to be pretty rare for women to even know they are pregnant before 6 weeks. Spontaneous abortion is typical that early, some women do not even realize that they are pregnant; it’s one of the reasons that criminalizing abortion is such a dangerous precedent.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 340 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE