Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 12 posts - 451 through 462 (of 462 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

Great exchange of opinions when you reinterpret every comment to fit your preconceived view and the best dialogue you can come up with is calling someone a liar or saying fuck you.

This.

The quality of discussion on CU has been trending downward for quite awhile now, in my opinion.

Nancy H has been one of the few, good faith contributors as of late. Devolving to petty bickering, personal attacks, and shouting “fuck you” at her because you have a different viewpoint is really off-putting and not constructive.

Threads like this certainly make me think twice about wanting to continuing to post here, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that sentiment.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Great exchange of opinions when you reinterpret every comment to fit your preconceived view and the best dialogue you can come up with is calling someone a liar or saying fuck you.

Here’s at tip, you want dialogue don’t quote me and then replace what I said with “blah blah blah” while bitching that I’ve reinterpreted your comment.

and you are a liar.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div>

This.

The quality of discussion on CU has been trending downward for quite awhile now, in my opinion.

Nancy H has been one of the few, good faith contributors as of late. Devolving to petty bickering, personal attacks, and shouting “fuck you” at her because you have a different viewpoint is really off-putting and not constructive.

Threads like this certainly make me think twice about wanting to continuing to post here, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that sentiment.

“Empathy for murderers is totally the quality content this site is missing.”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

99% of the topics here on CU have always been 100% fine.

Heated political discussions like this one are where you find the fighting.

This is not a phenomenon unique to CU. Check the comments section on any news article about these kinds of stories. Then check Reddit. Then check Facebook. Then check Twitter. You can find people fighting everywhere when it comes to these kinds of topics.

If anything, the discussions here on CU have gotten better in recent years as new conversation places have diversified the platforms where people can argue and some of the vitriol has been taken elsewhere.

Anyway, if you have any other constructive feedback for us, send me an email. Always happy to listen to input.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>heresthecasey wrote:</div>

99% of the topics here on CU have always been 100% fine.

Heated political discussions like this one are where you find the fighting.

This is not a phenomenon unique to CU. Check the comments section on any news article about these kinds of stories. Then check Reddit. Then check Facebook. Then check Twitter. You can find people fighting everywhere when it comes to these kinds of topics.

If anything, the discussions here on CU have gotten better in recent years as new conversation places have diversified the platforms where people can argue and some of the vitriol has been taken elsewhere.

Anyway, if you have any other constructive feedback for us, send me an email. Always happy to listen to input.

This! Compared to many/if not most sites, it is usually quite civilized here, even when people disagree. The exceptions do happen when people get heated(this thread) or trolls sprout up, but that seems to be rather limited IMO.

Also, if you go over the line, think about what you have written, and apologize-don’t let yourself get down(and stay down) in the mud like that. Again, JMO.

News
    Participant

Gunfire erupts in Ferguson on anniversary of Michael Brown’s killing
    By Sara Sidner and Faith Karimi, CNN
    Updated 8:32 AM ET, Mon August 10, 2015

Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) – A day of peaceful vigils to mark the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown’s shooting death turned ugly late Sunday when protesters threw rocks and bottles at officers, and police critically injured a man who they say fired at them.

READ MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/ferguson-protests/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Rock and glass projectiles won’t bring justice.

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Reports find reasonable force used in Tamir Rice death
    WKYC-TV, Cleveland 9:10 a.m. EDT October 11, 2015

CLEVELAND — A white police officer was justified in fatally shooting Tamir Rice, a black 12-year-old boy who was holding a pellet gun, according to two outside reviews conducted at the request of the prosecutor investigating the death.

READ MORE: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/10/11/tamir-rice-new-reports/73770460/

News
    Participant

Stop Being So Angry About Tamir Rice, Says Paper of Record. And Please Sit, Quietly
    October 19, 2015
    By Anne Trubek

In an Editorial Board op-ed published in the Friday, October 16 edition of Cleveland’s main newspaper, readers are instructed to be “patient” with the Tamir Rice case in the wake of Prosecutor Timothy McGinty’s release of two expert reports that claim reasonable use of force. I use “instructed” intentionally, because the editorial is patronizing, offensive, and tinged with racism: it suggests readers “just settle down,” while it portrays anyone upset by the recent reports as irrational and mob-like.

READ MORE: http://beltmag.com/tamirriceeditorial/

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Stop Being So Angry About Tamir Rice, Says Paper of Record. And Please Sit, Quietly<br>
    October 19, 2015<br>
    By Anne Trubek

In an Editorial Board op-ed published in the Friday, October 16 edition of Cleveland’s main newspaper, readers are instructed to be “patient” with the Tamir Rice case in the wake of Prosecutor Timothy McGinty’s release of two expert reports that claim reasonable use of force. I use “instructed” intentionally, because the editorial is patronizing, offensive, and tinged with racism: it suggests readers “just settle down,” while it portrays anyone upset by the recent reports as irrational and mob-like.<br>
    <br>
    READ MORE: http://beltmag.com/tamirriceeditorial/

This qualifies as news?

Viewing 12 posts - 451 through 462 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION