Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>
    The video is up, and it is bad. The guy starts to shut his car door and the officer appears to reach in to struggle with him, and then just shoots him in the head. The car was not even moving until after the guy was shot-it appears a reflex reaction cause his foot to hit the accelerator after being shot and the car zooms off with the guy already dead in it.

That was not a reflex reaction to start the car rolling. The police ALWAYS make you shut off the engine when you are pulled over.

Officer Ray Tensing was indicted for murder this afternoon.

I just watched the video for the sixth time.

19 seconds into the video, Dubose turns the engine off and uses the key to unlock the glove compartment. I assume to look for his driver’s license and/or registration. He relocked the glove compartment and put the key back in the ignition.

40 seconds into the video, he hands Tensing a pint of Gin that was on the floor on the driver’s side.

One minute and ten seconds pass. During this time I assume Tensing is trying to get Dubose to produce a driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. Meanwhile Dubose is checking various places where those things might be.

At 150 seconds into the video, Dubose very clearly puts his left hand over the lock on the door while using his right hand to start the engine.

The next few seconds are unclear (at least to me). I can’t tell if the car started to move before or after the gun fired. Tensing obviously doesn’t even know he killed Dubose. He still has his weapon drawn when he catches up to the car where it came to a stop further down the street.

Tensing is a University of Cincinnati officer, not a City of Cincinnati officer. Since nobody has mentioned it, it sounds like the UC patrol cars do not have video cameras the way most State Highway Patrol and City patrol cars do.

Fascinating breakdown of the video…please point to the part where deadly force was even REMOTELY necessary. In fact, please point to the part where a gun should have been out of the holster.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

chaking
    Participant

Certainly does make you wonder how many times police are trusted with their version of events because nobody else’s version inherently holds the same weight. I hope the body cams start alleviating the need to have to trust one person’s version over another.

WJT
    Participant

Nancy H, I just want to apologize for my response to your response. I am sorry I made my post seem like more of an attack on you than I meant-this has just gotten me really heated and I should have waited and thought a bit before hitting submit.

Nancy H
    Participant

And the man’s name was Samuel Dubose. You saw fit to introduce “Officer Ray Tensing”…but the one murdered was not just a statistic-he was a human being with a full name too….’Dubose’…his name was Samuel Dubose.

I realize Samuel Dubose was a human being with a full name and not just a statistic. Unfortunate editing on my part. I get wordy (if you haven’t noticed already). When I edited my post to make it shorter I obviously missed deleting Officer & Ray. I used just their last names everywhere else.

The title of this thread is Police Brutality. I think the tragic death of Samuel Dubose is probably more police officer stupidity. He will probably be convicted of murder.

Just for the record, among people who carry firearms (police, military, etc) there is a very distinct difference between weapon drawn, weapon holstered and weapon dropped. (in firing position, stowed, surrendered)

Nancy H
    Participant

Neither Coremodels, chaking or WJT’s comments showed up yet, at the time I posted my last comment.

I just find this whole thing so painful – on both sides.

I got in touch with my nephew, who would have been at UC’s police acadamy at the same time as Tensing. My newphew attended UC and received a bachelor’s in Criminal Justice, as well as going through the two year police training. Thankfully he couldn’t pass the physical test part – running (don’t remember the distance) in under a specific time. Afer his second failure to pass he got into banking instead of police work.

Also talked with my sister-in-law who was, up until retirement, a dispatcher for the OSU police. And, as luck would have it, had a lengthy discussion with a Franklin County Judge, who happened to stop in my retail shop today.

Everybody I talked to agrees – Tensing was scared and stupid. He obviously was intimidated pulling over a guy who was twice his age and well versed in how the system works. Thankfully he didn’t know Dubose had over 60 arrests on his record. That would have made him even more neverous. Not slamming Dubose for his record, but he knew how things worked and probably recognized a green young campus police officer. He never produced any ID and did start the engine like he was going to flee.

From what I can find, two police officers arrived on the scene about the time Dubose started the engine and started to drive away. Tensing fired a second or two after that.

The who incident really sucks. One man lost his life and another really screwed up his.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

^can not even.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Evidence shows he murdered him. Lock him up, on to the next case. Sad to see some people actually defending this officer. Also sad to see people saying “see, this is just like what happened to ______!” Nah, let’s not go down that road.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Here’s another one:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/07/29/ill-put-a-hole-right-through-your-head-mass-police-detective-tells-driver/

Thankfully, this officer didn’t follow through with his threat.

It may be time to invest in a dashboard camera for the family car…

ohbr
    Participant

While not directly brutality related, what are the chances this deputy will be held responsible for his actions. Over 100mph in a 35 at the time of the accident. Even with lights and sirens, this is disregard for the safety of others. How was anyone supposed to react. Ever hear the sirens on a highway going 70mph before they are right behind you? This man probably either didn’t get a chance to hear the sirens or didn’t identify the location and we KNOW that none of us immediately stop when we hear a siren but don’t know where it’s coming from. I’ll be interested to see how this turns out.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/07/30/columbus-ohio-video-shows-franklin-co.-deputy-was-driving-over-100-mph-during-deadly-crash.html

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The who incident really sucks. One man lost his life and another really screwed up his.

First of all, I wonder if you’re sympathetic to all murderers for how badly the screwed up their lives. Actually, that’s a lie, I don’t wonder at all because I’m positive you aren’t.

Second, EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this forum should watch this video. This is Accused Murderer Tensing involved in a traffic stop. Now…as a white person, answer these questions:

1. How many times have you been stopped for an “equipment violation” in your life? How many times have you been in a car when someone else has?
    2. How many times, as a passenger, have you been required to provide ID when a friend’s car has been stopped or had a passenger required to provide it?
    3. How many times has a traffic stop involved multiple officers, opening your doors, or uttering phrases like “keep your hands out of your pockets”?

Here’s a hint…none.

That’s systemic racism. This is what’s happening today. Let’s stop it from continuing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/two-black-men-took-video-of-a-tense-2014-traffic-stop-with-a?utm_term=.ypaR6qXpxN#.cho9ARjoL

Nancy H
    Participant

First of all… blah blah blah

The most important thing you said was “accused murderer.” I prefer to let our court system decide who is guilty. I was getting a bit fed up with the mob mentality of some of the posts. If you think it is racist to think that only the person killed suffers, then you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

I have had a drivers license for 47 years, so I seriously doubt I could tell you how many times I have been stopped by law enforcement. I was stopped once for failure to display a license plate. I have been told to get out of my vehicle and sit in the back of a patrol car. I have also been asked to produce ID when I was not driving. What the F does that have to do with anything.

I don’t know you, so I am not going to make assumptions about your race, religion, national origin, political party or even tell you what videos to watch. For what it is worth, I am of mixed ancestry, some of which came to the US fleeing Hitler, but I am predominately Shawnee Indian.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    First of all… blah blah blah

The most important thing you said was “accused murderer.” I prefer to let our court system decide who is guilty. I was getting a bit fed up with the mob mentality of some of the posts. If you think it is racist to think that only the person killed suffers, then you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

I have had a drivers license for 47 years, so I seriously doubt I could tell you how many times I have been stopped by law enforcement. I was stopped once for failure to display a license plate. I have been told to get out of my vehicle and sit in the back of a patrol car. I have also been asked to produce ID when I was not driving. What the F does that have to do with anything.

I don’t know you, so I am not going to make assumptions about your race, religion, national origin, political party or even tell you what videos to watch. For what it is worth, I am of mixed ancestry, some of which came to the US fleeing Hitler, but I am predominately Shawnee Indian.

So again…you emphasize “accused” and extend sympathy to everyone accused of murdering an innocent man or just this case?

I’ve also been stopped for failure to display a license plate. Good news, I wasn’t shot in the face. It appears you weren’t either.

I don’t believe you have been told to produce ID when you weren’t driving unless your driver was being stopped for more than an equipment violation or you weren’t breaking the law yourself.

Oh.

And fuck you.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I drive like an asshole and have been pulled over tons of times – never have I been told to shut off my vehicle.

But if those sort of lies make you feel better about murder, well you’ve got a dim future.

Nancy H
    Participant

Great exchange of opinions when you reinterpret every comment to fit your preconceived view and the best dialogue you can come up with is calling someone a liar or saying fuck you.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Let’s keep the conversation civilized, folks. No need to let it devolve.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: