Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 462 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Coremodels is here strictly for the police brutality.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Coremodels is here strictly for the police brutality.

You mean I’m here for the topic of the thread? Why yes, yes I am.

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MRipley wrote:</div><br>
    Rus, thanks for getting it.

No worries. Really, kinda obvious where you were going with that.

Yes. Extremely clear. He does have a talent for trying to draw conclusions from unrelated things.<br>
    It’s tragic that this officer lost his life, but I would be interested in what relevance this is supposed to have with the discussion that’s been happening. Seems like an attempt to somehow show that cops not brutalizing the public = dead cops. Seems like a false dichotomy to me, but I obviously don’t have his sophisticated level of thinking on complex issues like this.

You don’t think that an adversarial relationship between the police and the public is furthered by police being killed?

ETA: Just to pound the point home, If people hate the police because they sometimes kill people, then why shouldn’t the police hate the people because they sometimes kill cops? Mutual hatred doesn’t sound like a recipe for reducing police brutality, but guess that’s just me.

MRipley
    Participant

To some.

And yes, I would agree with you that not only incidents like this but the general attitude demonstrated by many towards those in police uniforms is contributing to an us vs them mentality.

One thing to consider is that most people start their day with a shower/shave/make-up before getting dressed to head off to work. Cops however add a bullet proof vest to their work wardrobe.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Just to pound the point home, If people hate the police because they sometimes kill people, then why shouldn’t the police hate the people because they sometimes kill cops?

I can’t tell if this is serious or just the worst point I’ve ever seen made on this topic. Criminals commit crimes, sometimes against police officers…that’s the job they signed up for, and in the process have pledged to do that job without “hating the people”. Additionally, no one is even DREAMING of making the point that criminals can find justification in murdering police officers because cops sometimes kill people…but somehow yo’re taking the position that cops committing murder is more justified for the opposite reason???

Enough of the justification of the actions of criminals and the blame being shifted to their victims. No one is suggesting this cop that was killed was a victim of an “us vs. them” mentality…they were a victim of a violent crime, just like Freddie Gray and just like countless others.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

To some.

And yes, I would agree with you that not only incidents like this but the general attitude demonstrated by many towards those in police uniforms is contributing to an us vs them mentality.

One thing to consider is that most people start their day with a shower/shave/make-up before getting dressed to head off to work. Cops however add a bullet proof vest to their work wardrobe.

Sounds so valiant, can I lick their boots too?

joev
    Participant

Libertarians: Against the cops when they set up DUI checkpoints. For the cops when they’re murdering unarmed black people.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Additionally, no one is even DREAMING of making the point that criminals can find justification in murdering police officers because cops sometimes kill people

Then people like this are part of the problem, yeah?

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/28936017/police-woman-makes-threats-on-facebook-to-kill-cops

FOX 5 News (WAGA) — Police and federal agents have arrested Ebony Monique Dickens. She’s accused of making threats to kill white police officers under the name Tiffany Milan.

Police released part of her post to FOX 5. In it she says, “all black ppl should rise up and shoot at every white cop in the nation starting now.”

Police said later on that Dickens also wrote, “I thought about shooting every white cop I see in the head until I’m caught by the police or killed by them. Ha!!!! I think I can pull it off. Might kill a least 15 tomorrow. I’m plotting now.”

http://fox43.com/2015/01/08/man-charged-with-plotting-to-kill-three-lancaster-police-officers-with-automatic-rifle/

Akeem Washington stands accused of plotting to kill three Lancaster police officers who arrested him last month for being drunk and disorderly. “The whole goal is to intimidate police officers. Well, that’s just not going to happen,” said Lancaster Police Chief Keith Sadler. Washington claimed to have access to an AK-47 and an AR-15. While in prison he tried to recruit another inmate to help out with his plan to lure the cops to a place where he could shoot them to death, police say. It was that other inmate who tipped off authorities. “What I could gather, it sounds like that bothered his conscious and he let officials know and that’s what got the ball rolling,” said Sadler.

Washington’s plan to lure the cops to a place he could kill them wasn’t the only threat he made. The chief said Washington threatened to follow one of the officers and shoot him in front of his house. Washington also said that if the officer’s family came out, he’d shoot them too. “You can’t think of a bigger coward than someone who would kill somebody’s children and spouse,” said Sadler.

Was Dillon Taylor a victim of violent crime? Gilbert Collar?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Libertarians: Against the cops when they set up DUI checkpoints. For the cops when they’re murdering unarmed black people.

Uh huh. Because saying cops getting murdered won’t help with police brutality is exactly the same as supporting “murdering unarmed black people”.

You must still be suffering from lysteria. How many gallons of jenni’s do you eat a day, anyway?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Then people like this are part of the problem, yeah?

Yeah. Which has nothing to do with the story MRipley linked. The assassination of the 3 officers in retaliation for Eric Garner also has to do with this topic…but again, that has nothing to do with the story of an officer killed in the line of duty by a criminal.

Akeem Washington stands accused of plotting to kill three Lancaster police officers who arrested him last month for being drunk and disorderly.

No, this has absolutely nothing to do with police brutality.

Was Dillon Taylor a victim of violent crime? Gilbert Collar?

Interesting you bring those two up. Both of those cases ended up being posted in the comments section of every story about Freddie Gray or Eric Garner or Walter Scott as if to claim they were getting no coverage…and yet apparently everyone knows about them. You know what I didn’t see plastered everywhere? Their rap sheets or fictional stories about them or fake photographs of them attempting to blame them for their own deaths. I didn’t see comment after comment saying, essentially, “don’t run from cops” or “don’t break the law”.

But yes, I would say Gilbert Collar particularly was a victim of violent crime committed by a police officer.

If you’re asking why people aren’t equally outraged, its because unarmed white men being killed by police officers isn’t an epidemic…which is why I can name a dozen in the last few months and you’re still trotting out the same two names people have been talking about this whole time.

JeepGirl
    Participant

Attacks like this that not only force police officers to wear body armor as a part of their uniform, but also lead to instantaneous reactions that can end in tragedy. I blame the death of Tamir Rice and other victims of so called “police brutality” on people like the guy who killed Officer Moore.

Considering that Blackwell has a long, violent laden criminal history where’s the outrage towards the fact that this guy wasn’t in jail? As a result of Blackwells freedom his actions will undoubtedly contribute to an officer somewhere, sometime, reacting instantly to a perceived threat.

Oh wait.. unprovoked killings of police officers aren’t supposed to be in a police brutality topic.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I blame the death of Tamir Rice and other victims of so called “police brutality” on people like the guy who killed Officer Moore.

Then you’re an idiot.

BTW, to be clear, the flipside of that is to say the next time an officer is killed by a criminal its probably because the criminal was in fear for his life due to the behavior of the 6 officers in Baltimore or the officer in South Carolina. So those officers are the ones responsible for criminals shooting cops.

You know why I’m not saying that? Because its fucking stupid.

rus
    rus
    Participant

If you’re asking why people aren’t equally outraged, its because unarmed white men being killed by police officers isn’t an epidemic…which is why I can name a dozen in the last few months and you’re still trotting out the same two names people have been talking about this whole time.

If you need more names, I suggest this:

http://killedbypolice.net/

You’ll find more white names there than non-white. Which you’d expect, right? Population stats being what they are.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/aug/21/michael-medved/talk-show-host-police-kill-more-whites-blacks/

“More whites are killed by the police than blacks primarily because whites outnumber blacks in the general population by more than five to one,” Forst said. The country is about 63 percent white and 12 percent black.

Rather than comparing the raw numbers, you can look at the likelihood that a person will die due to “legal intervention” in the same way you might look at the chance a person will die in a car accident or a disease like lung cancer. When you do that, the numbers flip.

A 2002 study in the American Journal of Public Health found that the death rate due to legal intervention was more than three times higher for blacks than for whites in the period from 1988 to 1997.

That is not the final story though. There are different theories as to why the black rate is so much higher.

Candace McCoy is a criminologist at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York. McCoy said blacks might be more likely to have a violent encounter with police because they are convicted of felonies at a higher rate than whites. Felonies include everything from violent crimes like murder and rape, to property crimes like burglary and embezzlement, to drug trafficking and gun offenses.

The Bureau of Justice Statistics reported that in 2004, state courts had over 1 million felony convictions. Of those, 59 percent were committed by whites and 38 percent by blacks. But when you factor in the population of whites and blacks, the felony rates stand at 330 per 100,000 for whites and 1,178 per 100,000 for blacks. That’s more than a three-fold difference.

McCoy noted that this has more to do with income than race. The felony rates for poor whites are similar to those of poor blacks.

“Felony crime is highly correlated with poverty, and race continues to be highly correlated with poverty in the USA,” McCoy said. “It is the most difficult and searing problem in this whole mess.”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And even those numbers aren’t really of interest, because those are just people killed by cops…which isn’t even close to the important story, because many of those are legit. Unfortunately, I can’t find someone who’s compiling the data on a regular basis, but the story is how many unarmed people are being killed by cops…and what percentage of those are black.

Again, the two names you mentioned are the same ones trotted out from late last year. In that time, I can recall (off the top of my head), Walter Scott, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, Michael Brown, John Crawford.

Oops, forgot Eric Harris and Ernest Satterwhite.

So what’s that, 8 in just very recent months???

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This discussion is getting uglier and uglier. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I for one think it’s a tragedy when anyone of any color is killed under any circumstances. And to tell the truth, rus, it’s more than a bit insulting that you would assume I would ever defend someone advocating violence simply on the basis of their race. Just because you think that way doesn’t mean everyone does.

As far as the topic of unarmed white victims of police shootings, I definitely think their stories should be told as well –particularly since it has become clear that many people won’t care about this problem as long as it is only perceived as affecting black people. Even in the civil rights era, many people never paid attention to the subject of police brutality in the South until young white protestors also started ending up dead.

I fully expect the next response to be “you’re the ones putting race in this, not us!” Let’s be honest, @rus, @jeepgirl, and @whoever else wants to join that team –you don’t have to worry about being shot and killed by the police while on a routine shopping trip at Walmart in rural Ohio. Apparently I do. You don’t have to worry about your young son being shot and killed by the police while playing in a park in Cleveland. Apparently I do. I’m guessing you haven’t been stopped and questioned by the police on more than one occasion for “fitting the description.” I have. So to me, there’s a real issue here, and it didn’t become a racial issue just because I sat down and decided to make it one. And the fact that it’s not a problem you have any concern about is no surprise, since it’s amply clear that you aren’t concerned about any problem that doesn’t directly affect you. Which also explains why the only thing that seems to bother you about this whole issue is the fact that people are even talking about it at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE