Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

In response to Coremodel’s post about getting pulled over for bad brake lights, I was stopped for bad brake lights once. It was in 2005 in Bexley. I was pulled over by once police car; a second one soon showed up. I really did have bad brake lights; they let me go with a warning. Fortunately, I had access to a second car to drive.

I can remember a very long time ago getting pulled over one night in Eastmoor or Whitehall along Main Street. I was in college at the time. It was at night and I remember the office shining his flashlight into my car looking for things. I was a photography student so I had empty 35 mm film containers in my car. The office made me open each and every one of them to show that there was nothing inside.

This last story involves a cop but not a traffic stop. In 1986 I was in Fort Lauderdale during spring break. It was at night and I was using a porta potty near the beach. While I was inside I heard a scuffle outside. I waited until things quieted down before opening the door to leave. Right outside the door was a police officer holding up his billy club; his back was towards me. The noise of the porta potty door opening caused him to jump. He spun around and raised his billy club as if to strike me. I held up my hands and cowered; that caused him to relax.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    And this story continues to get worse…

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/tulsa-county-reserve-deputy-bought-cars-equipment-for-undercover-unit/article_e33ab05d-dcb1-588f-9096-89e051104409.html

So this dude bought a chance to play cop and then killed a guy with a fatal mistake…just fantastic.

Check out this story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502245.html

This is actually a pretty good chance to see how racism works. While this was absolutely tragic, you see the PD immediately taking full responsibility. Then you get this bio of the victim:

Culosi grew up just off Annandale Road, graduated from Bishop O’Connell High School and the University of Virginia, then attended the Southern College of Optometry in Memphis and became a doctor of optometry. He opened practices in Manassas and Warrenton that are attached to Wal-Mart stores.

It isn’t until page two that you learn he was a bookie who they’d just seized $350,000.00 in cash from and undercovers had booked 5 figures in bets with.

Freddie Gray, Michael Brown, and Walter Scott had their entire history of interaction with law enforcement as the lead story on sites like Brietbart or Blaze within an hour. All 3 also had false stories about criminal histories, Brown had fake photos as well, all making the social media and email rounds…also from those sources.

Finally, I can only find a few links where people have commented on the story…starkly missing from even a single comment is a message like “he shouldn’t have broken the law and then this wouldn’t happen”, essentially blaming the victim for his own death…otherwise known as more than half the comments on stories about Brown, Gray, or Scott.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/26/demilitarizing-local-police/

myliftkk
    Participant

Graffiti is now punishable by death…

Hector Morejon, Unarmed Teen Shot, Killed By Police

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder how many rounds they put in him.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The Baltimore police officers were charged. All through this story I’ve been wondering, what did Gray do to get busted? As it turns out, nothing! A news story I heard said the whole thing started because he made eye contact with officers on bicycles, and ran.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The Baltimore police officers were charged. All through this story I’ve been wondering, what did Gray do to get busted? As it turns out, nothing! A news story I heard said the whole thing started because he made eye contact with officers on bicycles, and ran.

Yep, and Supreme Court rulings suggest that if you flee without provocation it isn’t probable cause…unless its in a “high crime area”. So assuming it was legal to stop and frisk, they then charged him with possession of a switchblade…which, it turns out, wasn’t actually a switchblade.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Great article by the creator of “The Wire” on how things got so bad in Baltimore:

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

I guess there’s an awful lot to understand and I’m not sure I understand all of it. The part that seems systemic and connected is that the drug war — which Baltimore waged as aggressively as any American city — was transforming in terms of police/community relations, in terms of trust, particularly between the black community and the police department. Probable cause was destroyed by the drug war. It happened in stages, but even in the time that I was a police reporter, which would have been the early 80s to the early 90s, the need for police officers to address the basic rights of the people they were policing in Baltimore was minimized. It was done almost as a plan by the local government, by police commissioners and mayors, and it not only made everybody in these poor communities vulnerable to the most arbitrary behavior on the part of the police officers, it taught police officers how not to distinguish in ways that they once did.

MRipley
    Participant

A NYC police officer was executed while performing his duties for the community.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/05/us/new-york-police-officer-shot-dies/index.html

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

A NYC police officer was executed while performing his duties for the community.

Not sure what that has to do with police brutality.

I’m curious though, will the guy who shot him be suspended from work with pay instead of arrested while they look into it? Will he be questioned only after a mandatory “cooling off period”? Will his interrogators be disallowed from threatening him with the applicable punishments for his crime during questioning? Will the accused be given access to the names and testimony of all his accusers before being questioned?

I mean, I’m sure you had some point here…but I certainly don’t see it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Very sad. Not only for the officer and his family, but for increasing the us vs. them mentality between police and the public.

MRipley
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MRipley wrote:</div>

Not sure what that has to do with police brutality.

I’m curious though, will the guy who shot him be suspended from work with pay instead of arrested while they look into it? Will he be questioned only after a mandatory “cooling off period”? Will his interrogators be disallowed from threatening him with the applicable punishments for his crime during questioning? Will the accused be given access to the names and testimony of all his accusers before being questioned?

I mean, I’m sure you had some point here…but I certainly don’t see it.

Seems to me that the title of this thread had something to do with Police Brutality & Violence in the US, and this appears to be a violent action involving a police officer. Would it make you more comfy if there was a thread title “Public Brutality and Violence Against Police”?

And there is no question that you could not comprehend actions like this officers killing and how it may relate to police interactions with the public, so please disregard this incident as we all know you will. It really isn’t meant for people with your mentality.

Rus, thanks for getting it.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And there is no question that you could not comprehend actions like this officers killing and how it may relate to police interactions with the public

So lemme get this straight…an officer is killed by a criminal and we’re supposed to then relate that to police interactions with the public that involve police brutality?

No.

Police committing homicides isn’t explained or excused by this or anything else.

Your mentality stays consistent though, and I think everyone is clear what it is.

rus
    rus
    Participant

No worries. Really, kinda obvious where you were going with that.

DavidF
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MRipley wrote:</div>

No worries. Really, kinda obvious where you were going with that.

Yes. Extremely clear. He does have a talent for trying to draw conclusions from unrelated things.
    It’s tragic that this officer lost his life, but I would be interested in what relevance this is supposed to have with the discussion that’s been happening. Seems like an attempt to somehow show that cops not brutalizing the public = dead cops. Seems like a false dichotomy to me, but I obviously don’t have his sophisticated level of thinking on complex issues like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION