Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 462 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Mother Of Boy Killed In Cleveland Police Shooting To Talk About Case
    Tuesday January 6, 2015 11:57 AM

CLEVELAND – The mother of a 12-year-old boy fatally shot by a Cleveland police officer while carrying a pellet gun plans to publicly discuss recent developments in the case.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/01/06/cleveland-mother-of-boy-killed-in-cleveland-police-shooting-to-talk-about-case.html

News
    Participant

VIDEO: Police restrained Tamir Rice’s sister after shooting
    ByCRIMESIDER STAFFCBS/APJanuary 8, 2015, 11:41 AM

CLEVELAND – A video released by the city of Cleveland shows a police officer pushing a 14-year-old girl to the ground and handcuffing her with the help of another officer soon after a third officer fatally shot her younger brother.

READ MORE: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-police-restrained-tamir-rices-sister-after-shooting/

News
    Participant

Meeting In Cleveland To Discuss Police Use Of Force
    Tuesday January 20, 2015 5:46 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The relationship between police officers and the communities they serve is the subject of a new task force holding its first meeting in Cleveland.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/01/20/cleveland-taskforce-meeting-about-police-force.html

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

At least two or three testimonies about misconduct of some Columbus Police officers were heard under oath yesterday at the AME Church at Bryden and 18th. I don’t have those details but a court reporter was there and Bob Fitrakis of the Columbus Free Press and some other attorneys and organizers are working on this.

Related to this issue are some notes from last week’s (Jan 12 ) city council meeting.

————– ———

On Jan 12, three activists — Jonathan Beard, Kujenga Eliyah Ashe, and Tryone Thomas— called on Columbus council members and the mayor to convene and participate in public forums aimed at improving relations between police and historically under-served communities.

Columbus Police chief Kim Jacobs told council members she has been eager to participate in the forums. But Thomas said Jacobs has yet to show up at any of the forums he has invited her to.

Talking after the council meeting, Jacobs urged Thomas to contact her about specific times and places for upcoming forums so that she can personally participate.

But even if she follows thru, that is only part of what Ashe, Beard, and Thomas are seeking.

“Our elected officials need to be there, not just the police, ” said Beard, “because they have the power to make the changes. Council members are the ones we vote for. They should be pushing this conversation forward. Instead, they’re telling the police to have this conversation with the community. The people have come to council asking for help, but our elected officials are telling us, ‘talk to the police.’ We’ve been trying to talk to the police.”

But efforts to talk with police have made little progress, said Beard.

“The police chief said she’s written responses to our letter, but that is absolutely not true.

Columbus Police Department spokesperson Denise Alex Bouzounis said she would try to get a comment from Chief Jacobs about her intended participation in community forums. I’ve not heard from her yet. Is anyone talking with any city council members about the extent to which they support a public forum on police-community relations ?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Finally an actual murder charge, which wouldn’t have happened if not for this video. Can’t wait to hear the apologists explain this one away…and anything short of a conviction of murder is a whole different level of injustice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

jackoh
    Participant

Finally an actual murder charge, which wouldn’t have happened if not for this video. Can’t wait to hear the apologists explain this one away…and anything short of a conviction of murder is a whole different level of injustice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

The general public seeing this video considers it to be hard and conclusive evidence that should result in a conviction. Any good attorney, however, will see it and treat it as simply an eyewitness account of the incident. And eyewitness accounts are potentially subject to attack and subject to being discredited. The notion that this piece of evidence determines the outcome of the case is extremely premature.

MRipley
    Participant

Based on the available information/evidence I have no problem with a murder charge against this cop, and hope that they would charge any of the other officers that might have tried to cover for him.

I also have absolutely no problem with justified shootings by cops.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

The general public seeing this video considers it to be hard and conclusive evidence that should result in a conviction. Any good attorney, however, will see it and treat it as simply an eyewitness account of the incident. And eyewitness accounts are potentially subject to attack and subject to being discredited. The notion that this piece of evidence determines the outcome of the case is extremely premature.

Except this particular piece of evidence shows the entire act, including the placement of evidence to support the officer’s later version of events.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Based on the available information/evidence I have no problem with a murder charge against this cop, and hope that they would charge any of the other officers that might have tried to cover for him.

I also have absolutely no problem with justified shootings by cops.

Right there with you.

Schoolboy
    Participant

They are now posting additional videos of this guy fleeing a car after a traffic stop. So I think they’ll try to come up with multiple excuses of “risk to officer”.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

They are now posting additional videos of this guy fleeing a car after a traffic stop. So I think they’ll try to come up with multiple excuses of “risk to officer”.

I’d love some cleaned up audio…because all I can make out is “I stopped you because your….brake light is out.”

Couple things, 1. I’ve never…ever…been stopped for having a brake light out in 20 years of driving. 2. At least one side of his brake lights are working just fine. This is the stuff that is happening though, stopping for brake lights being broken that aren’t, headlights that aren’t working that are, etc. Pulling over a black man driving a mercedes because of a broken tail light seems fishy to me to begin with, but particularly if it isn’t broken.

More importantly, running away from a traffic stop because you have an outstanding misdemeanor warrant doesn’t justify 8 shots at your back from as far as 20-30 feet away.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And another day…another killing.

http://mic.com/articles/115264/body-cam-footage-shows-officer-shooting-and-killing-unarmed-black-man

The body cam footage, released Friday, captures the chase that ensued after Harris fled from undercover Violent Crimes Task Force officers to whom he allegedly attempted to illegally sell a 9mm semi-automatic pistol. Harris is tackled by the officers before one calls for a Taser, though the nature of the struggle cannot be determined from the video. What is clear is that instead of a jolt of electricity, 73-year-old reserve deputy Robert Bates fires a round from his revolver while Harris is pinned. Bates drops the pistol in apparent shock, immediately clarifying that he thought it was his Taser and saying “I’m sorry.” For Harris, the difference between accident and intent was meaningless. He died within the hour — but not before deputies made it clear that he deserved what was coming to him.

“He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my god, I’m losing my breath,” Harris says as officers pin him to the ground following the lethal gunshot.

“You fucking ran! Shut the fuck up! Fuck your breath!” an officer shouts as Harris lies dying.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And this story continues to get worse…

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/tulsa-county-reserve-deputy-bought-cars-equipment-for-undercover-unit/article_e33ab05d-dcb1-588f-9096-89e051104409.html

So this dude bought a chance to play cop and then killed a guy with a fatal mistake…just fantastic.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Baltimore police force has been found guilty in court of police brutality to the tune or $5.7M over the past four years.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police-settlements/

Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil rights violations. Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: