Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 462 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

Police have revealed that Darren Wilson is the officer involved in the shooting. He’s been an officer for 6 years with no history of disciplinary action. He also hasn’t been charged or arrested yet.

drew
    Participant

I find the overwhelming show of military-style force used by the Fergueson police department to be disgusting, and it seems as though politicians all across the political spectrum are coming to agree. After the questionable actions that led to the death of an unarmed person, responding with such an overwhelming show of power in response to anguished protest likely fueled riots rather than quelled them.

There’s a disturbing subtext to all of this – the killing of an unarmed person, the hiding behind military grade equipment during civil unrest – that suggests that the powers that be in Fergueson fear people who don’t look like them disproportionately. Fear them without any sympathy or appreciation for their grievances whatsoever. Fear them so much that they couldn’t imagine entering into discussions, or otherwise trying more measured approaches to calming, before breaking out the mine-resistant(WTF!) vehicles and tear gas and rubber bullets.

And, I have no doubt that this deep fear and lack of concern has been communicated with crystal clarity to the objects of their disdain. And beyond. All the world sees is a bunch of cops trying to cover their asses – arresting journalists just for being in the vicinity, using obscene force out of disproportionate fear, and turning a midwestern burg into Fallujah.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Police have revealed that Darren Wilson is the officer involved in the shooting. He’s been an officer for 6 years with no history of disciplinary action. He also hasn’t been charged or arrested yet.

From what I’ve seen, i’d hate to guess what would actually generate disciplinary action for this police force.

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>geoyui wrote:</div>

From what I’ve seen, i’d hate to guess what would actually generate disciplinary action for this police force.

I bet I know the answer to this – whistle blowing on the actions of a fellow cop’s illegal activities. Guess which cop gets disciplined!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>geoyui wrote:</div><br>

I bet I know the answer to this – whistle blowing on the actions of a fellow cop’s illegal activities. Guess which cop gets disciplined!

This gives us a pretty clear picture of the disciplinary procedures…

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html

Pablo
    Participant

Military style equipment is not unique to MO. Go to an OSU football game and you’ll see the State Highway Patrol, Sheriff’s Department, Columbus Police and OSU Police standing next to their military surplus armored vehicles under the guise of “keeping us safe” when all they’re doing is showing off. I’m with the libertarians and want to see the demilitarization of police departments.

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Rand Paul says this is part of the government’s quest for power. That may be but most of the militarization started after 9/11 out of fear and the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security. Why in the hell does Ohio State need this?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Why in the hell does Ohio State need this?

Marching Band Parties?

drew
    Participant

This gives us a pretty clear picture of the disciplinary procedures…

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/15/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie.html

That is sickening.

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://online.wsj.com/articles/police-name-darren-wilson-as-officer-in-ferguson-missouri-michael-brown-shooting-1408108371?tesla=y

Police Name Darren Wilson as Officer in Missouri Shooting
    New Report Allegedly Ties Victim to Robbery; Lawyer for Parents Rejects Claims

FERGUSON, Mo.–Police on Friday named the officer involved in last Saturday’s fatal shooting of Michael Brown and released new documents allegedly tying Mr. Brown to a robbery of a convenience store shortly before the shooting.

At a brief news conference, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said the officer involved in the shooting is Darren Wilson, who has been an officer on the force for six years and has no record of disciplinary actions. Protesters had demanded that the officer’s identity be revealed to ensure a transparent investigation.

Mr. Jackson also released a police report and photos pulled from a surveillance video taken before the shooting in which a robber allegedly involving Mr. Brown, the unarmed 18-year-old whose death has sparked nights of unrest and protests around the U.S.

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon and the state highway patrol called for continued calm in the St. Louis suburb after residents expressed frustration over the surprising release of the police report.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Robbery is not a capital offense, unless we’ve skipped right to Judge Dredd level justice.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Robbery is not a capital offense, unless we’ve skipped right to Judge Dredd level justice.

Still comes down to what the forensic evidence says, in my view, but there is at least this explanation for the initial contact.

joev
    Participant

Big surprise, rus is taking the side of the guy with the gun.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Big surprise, rus is taking the side of the guy with the gun.

Do you even read my posts, or just randomly babble out whatever verbal diarrhea breaches containment at the moment?

joev
    Participant

There is absolutely no basis to argue that the cop killing Mike Brown was justified. This useless, “let’s wait and see,” and bringing up doubts about his criminal record or lack there of – what is it for? I would think a libertarian would be in favor of preserving the rights of an individual rather than trying to layer on doubts about the victim’s character.

It’s all irrelevant. He may have deserved to be stopped by the police – that is not the question. He definitely did not deserve to be killed by them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

There is absolutely no basis to argue that the cop killing Mike Brown was justified.

Because we should obviously ignore laws when you have feels.

If you can’t see a difference between “the police did nothing wrong” and “lets wait for the investigation results, especially since the FBI is now involved” then you’re either deliberately obtuse or simply ignorant.

to layer on doubts about the victim’s character.

The police released a timeline of events leading up to the incident and security camera footage of the reported robbery to explain why they interacted with Brown at all.

Doesn’t look like “doubts about the victim’s character” but “this is why we stopped him”.

Still doesn’t say the shooting was justified, of course, but does explain initial contact.

ETA: Or not?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=us_c1

Ferguson, Missouri (CNN) — The Ferguson police officer who shot Michael Brown didn’t stop him because he was suspected in a recent robbery, but because he was “walking down the middle of the street blocking traffic,” the city’s police chief said Friday.
    Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson told reporters the alleged “robbery does not relate to the initial contact between the officer and Michael Brown.”
    So why did Ferguson police decide to release surveillance video of the alleged convenience store Friday — the same day that they named, six days after the shooting, the white police officer who fatally shot the African-American teenager — if the two incidents are not related?
    Jackson said he released the videotape “because the press asked for it,” noting some in the media had filed Freedom of Information requests for the footage and that he couldn’t withhold indefinitely. The chief added “we needed to release that at the same time we needed to release the name of the officer involved in the shooting,” though he didn’t elaborate more on why.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: