Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Police Brutality & Violence in the US

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 462 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s the documents presented to the Grand Jury on NPR.
    LINK

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Linking to this VOX article too.

I haven’t read through the documents, but it does sound like a situation that should have gone to trial.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

The thing that gets the most out of all of this is how irresponsible the news media got with taking the hear say or testimony of one person and running with it. Yeah it’s easy to just say “blame the media” but this really was spun with next to no evidence given to the public. Some of the autopsy documents concluded exactly what was provided in the grand jury documents. The entry and exit wounds of his hands were all at an angle meaning they were down, in a running position. Not with his hands up.

The events that seem to come together among the few witness testimonies I read state that there was a scuffle at the car, 2 punches, reach for the gun, a shot, blood trailing from the car, Brown turning around, running at Wilson, then 6 shots.

Yet all you heard the media state is that Wilson executed Brown with his hands up. No evidence on that other than his friend’s testimony to a local news station.

It’s like no one wanted to listen and only wanted to believe he was excited by the lawless white cop. Any loss of life is sad but stretching the truth to in this situation is damaging not only to the Brown family but to every store owner and resident of the Ferguson community. I’m upset on many levels here on how this whole thing went down. And I don’t see any way the rioters or looters will take in consideration the documents and facts of the incident.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Lol, Vox and Ezra, never change. “Officer Darren Wilson’s story is unbelievable. Literally.” is a clickbait headline. “That’s not to say,” “now that doesn’t mean,” “I’m not saying it didn’t happen the way Wilson described” and other similar statements litter that article. So he is just wildly speculating.

I agree OBT, re: the irresponsible media. Many were misleading and projecting as fact things that weren’t true. Many in the media (and protestors) wanted an indictment, regardless.

I think the evidence shows the Grand Jury made the right decision, based on the evidence.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Unknown number of families have had their source of employment taken away by the looters and arsonists.

From twitter:
    QRC
    This is one of the victims. Meet Jay Johnson. He just cried to me because he doesn’t know how he’ll feed his family

NC
    Natalie DuBose lost a large window of her Natalie’s Cakes and More, popular with protesters in Ferguson

rus
    rus
    Participant

I agree OBT, re: the irresponsible media. Many were misleading and projecting as fact things that weren’t true. Many in the media (and protestors) wanted an indictment, regardless.

Thirded, or whatever we’re at.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Natalie DuBose lost a large window of her Natalie’s Cakes and More, popular with protesters in Ferguson

Edited: It looks like they will set up their own GoFundMe and updates are being made on their Facebook page.

jbcmh81
    Participant

The thing that gets the most out of all of this is how irresponsible the news media got with taking the hear say or testimony of one person and running with it. Yeah it’s easy to just say “blame the media” but this really was spun with next to no evidence given to the public. Some of the autopsy documents concluded exactly what was provided in the grand jury documents. The entry and exit wounds of his hands were all at an angle meaning they were down, in a running position. Not with his hands up.

The events that seem to come together among the few witness testimonies I read state that there was a scuffle at the car, 2 punches, reach for the gun, a shot, blood trailing from the car, Brown turning around, running at Wilson, then 6 shots.

Yet all you heard the media state is that Wilson executed Brown with his hands up. No evidence on that other than his friend’s testimony to a local news station.

It’s like no one wanted to listen and only wanted to believe he was excited by the lawless white cop. Any loss of life is sad but stretching the truth to in this situation is damaging not only to the Brown family but to every store owner and resident of the Ferguson community. I’m upset on many levels here on how this whole thing went down. And I don’t see any way the rioters or looters will take in consideration the documents and facts of the incident.

Actually, the autopsy results could’ve been taken either way, and were surely not conclusive as to the position of his hands. They were interpreted different ways depending on what one wanted to believe.

The actual investigation was half-assed at best. No crime scene photos were taken, no distance measurements, no police report. Why?

And then there’s Wilson’s own testimony. Even if you don’t believe any of the witnesses, to take Wilson’s own testimony strains all credulity. This should’ve gone to trial and sorted out. The prosecutor clearly didn’t want to do the grand jury in the first place and was forced to by all the attention. By his speech last night, it was pretty obvious that it became about supporting Wilson’s side of the story and discrediting anything else. He seemed almost resentful about having to deal with it at all, and then mocking and trashing the witnesses and Brown himself spoke volumes.

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/25/366575509/ferguson-documents-the-physical-evidence

Now let’s look at some of the physical evidence:

Officer Wilson fired 12 shots in all in his encounter with the 18-year-old. Of those, at least six hit Brown, killing him, according to the postmortem examination report conducted by the St. Louis County Medical Examiner.

Wilson fired two shots inside the police car. One of the bullets was recovered. When the confrontation continued outside, more shots were fired.

The postmortem report found a gunshot entrance wound on the vertex of Brown’s scalp. There was an entrance wound in his central forehead, with a corresponding exit wound in his right jaw. Another entrance wound was in his upper right chest and one in his lateral right chest. There was an entrance wound in the upper ventral right arm, along with a corresponding exit wound on the upper dorsal right arm. There was also a gunshot entrance wound on the dorsal right forearm, along with a corresponding exit wound of the medial ventral right forearm.

Brown was also grazed in his right bicep and right thumb. He also sustained injuries to his face, left hand, right chest, left forearm and left hip, along with abrasions.

Investigators could not determine the order of the shots.

This is all important because early witnesses had said Brown was shot in the back.

Another important piece of evidence comes from DNA analysis. It revealed that Brown’s blood was on Officer Wilson’s gun (a Sig Sauer P229) and on the inside of his police vehicle.

In order words, this seems to support Wilson’s version of events, in which there was a confrontation while he was inside the police vehicle.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

This should’ve gone to trial and sorted out. The prosecutor clearly didn’t want to do the grand jury in the first place and was forced to by all the attention.

I partly agree, he shouldn’t have taken it to the GJ. It was a gutless move to provide political cover. He should have just stated he was not going to charge a crime, based on the evidence not meeting the standard required at trial.

MRipley
    Participant

I haven’t read through the documents, but it does sound like a situation that should have gone to trial.

I think in this country to go to trial the officer would have had to been charged with a crime. Based on your noted lack of knowledge or review of the evidence and witness testimony, what crime would you suggest the police officer be charged with?

jackoh
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Anne Evans wrote:</div>

I think in this country to go to trial the officer would have had to been charged with a crime. Based on your noted lack of knowledge or review of the evidence and witness testimony, what crime would you suggest the police officer be charged with?

The likely charge would have been some version of manslaughter. The likely verdict would have been “not guilty.”

sirlancelot
    Participant

What is not clear to me is whether or not Michael Brown was the same person ID’d for shoplifting; why was he and another man walking in the middle of a busy street; what did the police officer actually say to Brown and how did Brown respond. Right now, everything I see and hear points to an person who failed to obey a lawful police request, who acted in a disrespectful manner, and was perceived to be a threat to a police officer. There seems to be a divergence of fact and fiction. Obviously, the courts and the Feds will review the case.

People must teach their children about how to deal with law enforcement and so avoid situations like Ferguson. Requests to answer reasonable questions from law enforcement and obey legitimate orders, or demands to provide ID, is not police abuse, but standard procedure. Brown apparently did not learn that, and that is why he is dead. I was taught to say yes sir or no sir to police questions, not cuss or threaten an officer, to keep my hands visible and NOT do anything that could be perceived as a threat.

Distrust of law enforcement in minority communities is understandable, given the history of bias and violence by police and government. That distrust cannot justify disrespect toward people we pay to enforce laws we all are supposed to obey.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Requests to answer reasonable questions from law enforcement and obey legitimate orders, or demands to provide ID, is not police abuse, but standard procedure.

No, it isn’t. Picking random black strangers out of a crowd to ask for ID or question them is unacceptable and if you don’t think that happens every day, you aren’t paying attention or don’t know any black people.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I wonder how many questions the cops asked this 12 year old before killing him, btw.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/cleveland_police_officer_shot_1.html

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 462 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: