Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Feds Deem Pedestrians, Cyclists and Motorists Equals

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Feds Deem Pedestrians, Cyclists and Motorists Equals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>
    I ride my bike on good weather days. I ride ON the street. I obey the traffic rules. If I want to use a cross walk or a sidewalk, I get off my bike and I walk it.
    I do NOT own the road. I get t’eed off at people who think they do.

Is anyone saying they do?

laChewla
    Participant

…so it’s going to be one of THOSE threads.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

laChewla wrote >>
    …so it’s going to be one of THOSE threads.

We’ll see. Like the the return of the annual Comfest thread, the annual cycling bitch fest marks the start of Spring on Columbus Underground.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If everyone can ignore the lameness and continue to contribute something worthwhile… then no… I don’t see there being any reason for this to become one of THOSE threads.

Onward and upward.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I would only ever commit vehicular assault if the cyclist in question gave me a particularly dirty look, not just a regular stink eye mind you, but something really chilling.

I bet CyclistII can give those types of looks, although I’d never wish the Captain harm, for he is bagel.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Oh and for the record I was annoyed while driving today because two cyclists were side by side on a 2-lane road. I hate motorists who tell bikes to get out the way but the cyclists should respect the fact that they are a slow vehicle and not TRY and get in peoples way. We need both sides to compromise.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    Oh and for the record I was annoyed while driving today because two cyclists were side by side on a 2-lane road. I hate motorists who tell bikes to get out the way but the cyclists should respect the fact that they are a slow vehicle and not TRY and get in peoples way. We need both sides to compromise.

And this is where I take issue. The law is on their side, compromise or not. How wide was the road? What was traffic like?

Most cyclists, either riding two up like above, or taking a lane aren’t doing it to annoy you or assert some high handed political agenda. It’s safety.

If a road is too narrow for me to safely share the space with you, I-and I alone-will make that determination and take the lane as necessary. Tough shit if you are behind me, you’ll be delayed less than a minute or two while you wait to find a safe time to pass in the next available lane. I’m all for courtesy but why should I be expected to kiss a driver’s ass every time I hop on my bike to run an errand or get to work?

Replace the bikes with a car moving too slowly or at the speed limit (if you, yourself are speeding). Do you expect the car to pull out of the way? Are you annoyed?

Sweet. Gonna buy a fixie and some levis to celebrate.

labi
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>

And this is where I take issue. The law is on their side, compromise or not. How wide was the road? What was traffic like?
    Most cyclists, either riding two up like above, or taking a lane aren’t doing it to annoy you or assert some high handed political agenda. It’s safety.
    If a road is too narrow for me to safely share the space with you, I-and I alone-will make that determination and take the lane as necessary. Tough shit if you are behind me, you’ll be delayed less than a minute or two while you wait to find a safe time to pass in the next available lane. I’m all for courtesy but why should I be expected to kiss a driver’s ass every time I hop on my bike to run an errand or get to work?
    Replace the bikes with a car moving too slowly or at the speed limit (if you, yourself are speeding). Do you expect the car to pull out of the way? Are you annoyed?

+1 Very well said. When I’m on my bike, it’s my legal right (and the safest choice) to take up an entire lane so motorists will have to pass me safely rather than squeaking by and pushing me into the trash at the side of the road. I see absolutely no reason to “compromise” this right just because someone driving a car will have to spend an extra ninety seconds getting to the next safe passing place.

I actually view the 2-bikes-side-by-side situation as being a fairly considerate compromise by the cyclists of their legal right to ride one behind the other in the middle of the lane. If they ride side by side, you will have an easier time passing them when there is room to do so safely.

MikeReed
    Participant

This is a gem of a statement, ““People across America who value bicycling should have a voice when it comes to transportation planning,” LaHood wrote on his blog.

Sadly, cycling related policy making in Columbus is not a reflection of this sentiment. The Traffic and Pedestrian Commission is “open” to attendees but basically hostile to outsiders, and it has been decided that the Bicycle Advisory Committee (a sub-committee charged with implementing the Bicentennial Bikeways Plan) will be closed to outsiders.

Even with this kind of rhetoric at a national level pedestrians and cyclists won’t actually get a voice in Columbus with the current thinking.

I also recently expressed interest in the Citizen Advisory Committee (after seeing a MORPC tweet) and while I cited some bicycle advocacy that is hardly the extent of my expertise and breadth of experience (the arts come to mind). Anyway, I was told that they have plenty of representation in the area of bicycling thank you very much, have a nice day- so a varied or fresh perspective isn’t something our policymakers are very interested in either.

So, if the folks who are greeting LaHood as a rockstar at the National Bike Summit (for his statements) are then going back to their own communities and systematically shutting out other voices in cycling… well, there’s rhetoric and theres reality… they aren’t meeting in the middle.

JedThorp

Analogue Kid wrote >>

I deal with this every day when riding through downtown. If I’m having an impatient day, and I zig zag through stopped traffic a bit or zoom past slow moving cars in my own self-made “curb lane” – people yell at me to “follow the rules of the road” – as they should. But then, if I act like a car, and get right out there in the middle of the lane and force the cars behind me to go a BIT slower than the legally posted speed (as opposed to the 45 miles an hour you THINK you should be able to drive down High St.) people get all pissed and honk at me. If I stop, look both ways and blow through a stop sign/light so that the traffic behind me doesn’t have to wait for me to get up to full speed once it turns green, I get yelled at. If I wait for the light to change, and then take 15 seconds to get up to 20MPH, I get yelled at. As cyclists, we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t. I guess all we can do is follow the rules, take the high road, and force everyone else to deal and get used to it.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>

The road was a heavily traveled 2-lane road with a 45 mph speed limit and a continuous no passing zone (Dublin Road). I see bikes on this road all the time and its fine when one person is keeping right. I don’t mind the delay at all. But when you’re on a bike taking up the entire lane, then your endangering motorists and yourself.

How is that possible, you say? Well, there are two potentially bad scenarios. First, if you a motorist and don’t attempt to pass the bike while going 10-15 mph, theres a pretty good chance somebody is going to come up behind you at 50+ mph and run into you since people are programed to think cars are traveling about the speed limit (unlike bikes where you know they’re not going >25 mph). This road is windy and hilly with limited sight distance. Second, if you do pass, you’re going all the way over the double yellow lines and endangering yourself, the bikes (should you have an accident because of an unseen oncoming car), and opposing traffic because you have to get entirely out of the lane.

I’m all for bikes riding side by side on High Street or other similar multi-lane locations. Its just that this was poor judgement for this particlar situation, legal or not. It’s not about getting out of my way, it’s about being safe for everybody.

I’ve had cars travel at 20 mph on this road and I wanted to flip the bird at them because its so dangerous for me coming up behind them going the speed limit. Unlike bikes, slow cars make me angry because you really are being a douche if you are going half the speed limit with no obstructions in front of you.

Regardless, I hate that the roads suck for bikes. More bike lanes or off road paths are needed NOW.

laChewla
    Participant

I think that more bike lanes and paths would certainly be an improvement – but they’re not really going to change my daily commute. I think one of the biggest problems is that cyclists are too often not regarded as “traffic”. By separating cyclists on the roads into bike lanes and pushing them off onto paths – are we really accomplishing any sort of integration?

Again – I love riding on a bike path – it’s enjoyable but on rare occasion is actually the most direct route to where I am going. We need SHARROWS.

futureman
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Analogue Kid wrote >>

Regardless, I hate that the roads suck for bikes. More bike lanes or off road paths are needed NOW.

Unfourtantly a lot of the funds set aside for bike trails / lanes and other imporvements have been put on hold …

Recession put brakes on miles of new bike trails
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:51 AM
    By Bill Bush
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After a ceremonious kickoff almost two years ago, the city of Columbus has made little progress on its plan to add 50 miles of bicycle projects, including new trails.

Plans to spend tens of millions of dollars by 2012 building bike bridges, trails, lanes along roads, and other improvements largely have gone nowhere, even though voters approved a bond issue in November 2008 that city officials said would help finance the projects.

The recession caused the city to scale back the plans, said Public Service spokesman Rick Tilton.

“We haven’t had any money to do it,” Tilton said.

Of the $18.4 million in bonding authority voters authorized in 2008, only $210,000 in bonds has been issued, said Rob Newman, with the city Finance Department. No money has been spent.

READ MORE

Rockmastermike
    Participant

futureman wrote >>
    Of the $18.4 million in bonding authority voters authorized in 2008, only $210,000 in bonds has been issued, said Rob Newman, with the city Finance Department. No money has been spent.[/i]
    READ MORE

makes sense. The bonds are there to be issued, but the city doesn’t want to increase debt load at a time when tax receipts are in the toilet.

In the mean time I think we’ll all be better off if everyone simply remembers rockmastermike’s prime directive:

“Don’t be a dick”

Bikes, TRY to be cool and not block people just because you legally CAN

motorists, TRY to be cool and not run over bikes or get all mad because you can’t drive as fast as you can.

pedestrians, just try not to get run over by the other two and for the love of god look before you cross the street right in front of me. We don’t want to kill you, really we don’t!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: