Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Federal Government Tracking all U.S. Verizon Calls for 3 Months

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Federal Government Tracking all U.S. Verizon Calls for 3 Months

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 161 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

<<Duplicate>> Delete

rus
    rus
    Participant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/07/nsa-verizon-surveillance-constitution?CMP=twt_gu

Obama, 2007:

In December 2007, then-Senator Barack Obama joined then-Senator Chris Dodd in threatening to filibuster the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (Fisa). Senator Obama opposed provisions granting retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies that shared private client information with the government. His office released a statement:

“Granting such immunity undermines the constitutional protections Americans trust the Congress to protect. Senator Obama supports a filibuster of this bill …”

And:

Later, supporting an amendment that he believed repealed retroactive immunity from Fisa, Senator Obama said in February 2008:

“We can give our intelligence and law enforcement community the powers they need to track down and take out terrorists without undermining our commitment to the rule of law, or our basic rights and liberties.”

Senator Obama in 2007 was rightly concerned that telecommunications companies might get away with sharing clients’ private information without legal scrutiny. This week, we learned that the president’s National Security Agency compelled Verizon to hand over all of its client data records.

Now?

rus
    rus
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    This is Bush on steroids.

No kidding.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/07/nsa-verizon-surveillance-constitution?CMP=twt_gu

Under this administration, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has targeted political dissidents, the Department of Justice has seized reporters’ phone records, and now we’ve learned the NSA seized an unlimited amount of Verizon’s client data. Just when you think it can’t get any worse under this president, it does. This is an all-out assault on the constitution. These actions are unacceptable under any president, Democrat or Republican.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Mr. Peabody said:
    Look us liberals told you a-holes this was a bad idea back when it started under Bush with the Patriot Act. We were told to shut our unpatriotic pieholes. We told you that once installed by the government, it wouldn’t go away and that *any* President would use it. Not a peep of protest or complaint from you right wing libertarians. Just shut it, you liberal losers, 9-11 changed everything, plus Tits Because America love it or leave it. I’m not a terrorist they can listen to me anytime they want. The media loved it, ate it up, There’s more than one example of reporters who praised Bush and the program who are now all concerned because the government is nosing into their bizness. Well, we told you this was going to happen and you all told us to go to hell or France. So suck on it now. Don’t act all smug and try to hang this on us now. This is your fault for rolling over for Big Brother back when it was your Big Brother.

“Anything to get dem towelheads.”

Mr. Peabody

I’m not going to get into a pissing war with you sob sisters who suddenly are shocked SHOCKED I tell you to find out that the government is using this program this way after letting it be put in place years ago, and besides, who can argue with the brilliant wit of the gifmaster Rus, but back when this was proposed under Bush, the concern was not only that terrorists were being tracked (nice move there, by the way, implying that liberals were “soft on terror”), but that it would be used to track all of us. And it was used that way, by both administrations. Get out your fainting and weeping couches now that it’s a Democratic President in charge when it’s going on. I get it. Now it’s a problem. Wasn’t before, cos only big badass George Bush was using it, and he wouldn’t spy on us gawdfearing patriots! Well guess what? He was. Obama is. Get used to it. No matter who is president, the mechanisms were put in place, it’s ongoing thing done by various agencies and parts of the government that do what they do no matter who is in charge. It’s a done deal.

ricospaz
    Participant

oh shit, I said the word ‘terrorist’ on the phone yesterday. I’m screwed! :)

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s
    Participant

My, Obama does look dashing in that hat.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

President Obama’s PRISM Response: Deal With It

http://gizmodo.com/president-obamas-prism-response-wont-make-you-feel-on-511912648

In response to shouted questions about the revelations this week that the NSA has been collecting phone call metadata and internet everything from American citizens, President Obama said some things that are probably going to make you feel sad inside.

Rather than dwell on preamble, here are some choice quotes from the session, wherein we learned that the President of the United States is totally cool with your privacy being shot to smithereens without your knowing for the last, say, six years. And a one and a two and a:

“Every member of Congress has been briefed on this program.”
    “hat you’ve got is two programs that were originally authorized by Congress and repeatedly authorized by Congress.”
    “You can’t have 100-percent security and then have 100-percent privacy.”
    “I don’t welcome leaks, there’s a reason these programs are classified.”
    “There are some tradeoffs involved.”
    “Modest encroachments on privacy.”

It’s true that there are trade-offs involved between security and privacy. No one’s arguing that. But the presumption that what Americans are concerned about is that PRISM wasn’t overseen enough is lunacy. If anything, the fact that everyone has known exactly what’s going on this whole time makes it even worse than we had possibly imagined.

rus
    rus
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    My, Obama does look dashing in that hat.

So dreamy! *SWOON*

RedStorm
    Participant

Mr. Peabody is such an angry man. Thought you guys welcomed dialogue? And shouldn’t you be happy that so many “close-minded right-wing nutjobs” are sharing a similar viewpoint as you? No? Hmm.

rus
    rus
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    Mr. Peabody is such an angry man. Thought you guys welcomed dialogue? And shouldn’t you be happy that so many “close-minded right-wing nutjobs” are sharing a similar viewpoint as you? No? Hmm.

Oh, you know better than that.

Policy is irrelevant. It’s a matter of the right team winning, not what they do in office.

pez
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    President Obama’s PRISM Response: Deal With It

http://gizmodo.com/president-obamas-prism-response-wont-make-you-feel-on-511912648

In response to shouted questions about the revelations this week that the NSA has been collecting phone call metadata and internet everything from American citizens, President Obama said some things that are probably going to make you feel sad inside.

Rather than dwell on preamble, here are some choice quotes from the session, wherein we learned that the President of the United States is totally cool with your privacy being shot to smithereens without your knowing for the last, say, six years. And a one and a two and a:

“Every member of Congress has been briefed on this program.”
    “hat you’ve got is two programs that were originally authorized by Congress and repeatedly authorized by Congress.”
    “You can’t have 100-percent security and then have 100-percent privacy.”
    “I don’t welcome leaks, there’s a reason these programs are classified.”
    “There are some tradeoffs involved.”
    “Modest encroachments on privacy.”

It’s true that there are trade-offs involved between security and privacy. No one’s arguing that. But the presumption that what Americans are concerned about is that PRISM wasn’t overseen enough is lunacy. If anything, the fact that everyone has known exactly what’s going on this whole time makes it even worse than we had possibly imagined.

100% security? At least I’m trading privacy for something…

Mr. Peabody

rus said:
    Oh, you know better than that.

Policy is irrelevant. It’s a matter of the right team winning, not what they do in office.

Yeah, I am angry. Too bad you both weren’t as angry back when it mattered more. Otherwise, welcome on board, glad to have you! Too little, too late, but welcome to the occupation anyway.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Mr. Peabody said:
    Yeah, I am angry. Too bad you both weren’t as angry back when it mattered more.

Let’s be clear: Angry with a democrat sitting in office? Angry because he’s more republican* than the last guy?

Or just angry because someone from the other team is pointing and laughing?

Because the outrage from democrats seems drowned out by crickets.

* someone else on another site pointed out the distinction is between liberal/libertarian and establishment/statist, not so much democrat/republican, but figure “more republican” is a shorthand people here would understand.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 161 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!