Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fear the Walking Dead

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV Fear the Walking Dead

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  RedStorm 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fear the Walking Dead showrunner promises ‘psychological tension’
    BY DALTON ROSS • @DALTONROSS
    Posted July 7 2015 — 12:03 PM EDT

When Rick Grimes woke up from his coma on The Walking Dead, the zombie apocalypse was in full cannibalistic swing. Fear the Walking Dead’s debuts in August, however, will show the outbreak as it happens. That means we’ll see something on the new series we haven’t seen previously: mass confusion.

READ MORE: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/07/fear-the-walking-dead-showrunner-dave-erickson-psychological-tension

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyone watching this show? I haven’t heard any amount of excitement about it at all…

CivilE
    Participant

I’ve been watching and I really enjoy it. The first episode is a bit slow because you are introduced to most of the main characters and they spend time establishing who everyone is (as opposed to the walking dead where the first episode was really just about Rick and the other characters are slowly added to the mix). I hope it gets renewed. I feel that its different enough from TWD that I won’t burn out on the format, but I find the show equally suspenseful and compelling. My impression from the episodes so far, is that this show is going to be about people who are together that get lost or torn apart over time as the zombie apocalypse evolves, kind of opposite how characters in TWD are alone and come together to form a group.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

I’ve been watching, but my girlfriend and I have been pretty bored with it until this last episode. It’s been moving reaaaally slow.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Am I crazy in thinking that the Walking Dead should just be 2-3 seasons tops and then a movie. Maybe I’m just over Zombies ;)

Rodgers
    Participant

The show has potential, but it has several issues, in my opinion:

– Typical of the horror genres, lots of stupid decisions are being made across the board.
    – By this point when watching the Walking Dead, I was becoming attached to characters. In Fear the Walking Dead, I’m having a hard time consistently even liking anyone, let alone become attached to them. I take that back: I was liking the guy from Central America, probably because he’s the only one that doesn’t seem at least half stupid.
    – I was more interested in seeing what happened during the downfall of society than the interpersonal drama, and in the last episode, they moved the timeline ahead nine KEY days! They just skipped a huge chunk of why I was tuning in. I wanted to see a running fight to survive, the increasingly panicky television broadcast, and the general downward spiral of civil authority, but instead…we go from a family on the run to the situation as it currently stands. It’s all about the interpersonal drama, and the zombies feel like nothing more than a MacGuffin.
    – The teen angst. Oh, the teen angst. I repeatedly find myself wondering if I’m the target audience for this series.

All that said, the series has potential, provided they kill off a few key people (candidates: dad and the female version of Carl; mom has the right stuff and the junkie son could be a real asset, if he can overcome his challenges), make the zombie threat more tangible on an ongoing basis, and strike a balance between interpersonal drama and the struggle to survive.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Am I crazy in thinking that the Walking Dead should just be 2-3 seasons tops and then a movie. Maybe I’m just over Zombies ;)

I think it could have worked better as an anthology series, with each season following a different group of people in a different part of the world at different points throughout the zombie outbreak. That’s kind of what they’re already doing between the two shows and the Telltale game… each with its own group of characters living within the same universe.

While the main show has certainly had its ups and downs, I think it would be more entertaining to keep the stories and arcs tighter each season and shift to a different area for a fresh perspective instead of following the same people around for so long.

alixinchains
    alixinchains
    Participant

I think this show will really take off when they stop clinging to the hope that ‘it’s all gonna be ok’. We haven’t yet seen the shift to full survival mode, except maybe for Daniel. Watching that shift is where I think we’ll really start to understand and maybe even connect with this cast. I also have high hopes for Mr. Resourceful Manipulator Guy that is currently with Nick…that guy has some major potential to be either really good or (hopefully) realllllly bad.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Next episode is the season finale which is kind of a bummer. It didn’t really go anywhere. Next season is supposed to be 15 episodes though.

Rikkez
    Participant

On the cusp of the final episode (wish there was 5 or 6 more in this season), I really like Fear the Walking Dead. Much of the frustrations expressed above are what this is all about. The characters can’t get their heads around the idea that everything could go away…all society, all government, all utilities, everything…oh and there are walking dead people (not sick people who may be cured, actually dead and not coming back) who want to eat you. Don’t worry, the police will regain control…the army will regain controll…who’s left after the army? The interesting part about this show is the viewer knows more at this point…”no, don’t talk to him, he’s dead and wants to eat you”…”dumbass, shoot her in the head. Don’t you people know anything?”

The early stages were very slow…but really, that’s the warm blanket that covers our every day lives. I loved the rally in the first 2 episodes, because, really, LA cops shoot an unarmed human being…that’s exactly what would happen.

In the Walking Dead, Rick Grimes is a sheriff and shoots someone the first episode…so it’s not that much of a stretch to see him killing walkers later. Dad, Travis, is anti-gun/anti-violence so seeing him transition into a Walker killing bad-ass would be a stark stransition and, if done well, it could be cool to watch him slowly give up his civility in favor of survival and protection of his family.

RedStorm
    Participant

Season 2 is in full swing.

I’ve enjoyed season 2 more, but it quickly moved into “Survival mode.” I was hoping season 1/2 provided more about how society got to where it did in TWD. Instead, it just jumped into survival mode for the group. There are still some interesting points with Strand v.s. the family and where exactly Strand intends to go.

I think it’s decent but could have been done better.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.