Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Favorite liquor store?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Favorite liquor store?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote Right by the rail tracks, kind of tucked back in. I went last July, trying to get an Irish Single Malt for my roommates 21st. They were doing road construction on that road and had no access past Olentangy, so one street up and then back through.

That’s the one. Best I’ve found so far, but then again, I’m dissatisfied enough to have started the thread. Maybe there aren’t any better within a reasonable distance, though.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

XLD wrote Veering back off topic, I also hit up Europia for cigars due to convenience. I tend to pick one up only on a whim, which usually occurs in the evening when only Europia is open. Vino 100 carries some nice alternative selections, albeit small and not open late. I think the place that was near Broad and High closed and the spot in the Convention Center has limited hours. Barclay on Lane Avenue in UA is a good spot, but the location doesn’t satisfy the whim requirements. Add a spot with a good selection of cigars that’s open late to my selfish wish list of Short North shops (yes, I should get a humidor).

Have you tried the cigar shop at Hudson and High? Don’t know the hours off hand, though.

Ndcent

The location and convenience of Europia far outweighs any gripe about their selection.

lifeontwowheels wrote Have you tried the cigar shop at Hudson and High? Don’t know the hours off hand, though.

No, I’ll have to check it out. Thanks.

Ndcent wrote The location and convenience of Europia far outweighs any gripe about their selection.

That reminds me of the argument that you should shop at stores of type x (local, minority owned, etc.) solely because they are of type x. But the store must still deliver some semblance of quality. See, for example, from what I hear, the Coffee Table.

I will frequent Europia because of the location. I will gripe as needed while doing so, until and unless the quality/selection falls below my threshold, adjusted downward for the location.

Anyway, nothing new here. This has all been said on the Coffee Table and Brownstone threads. CU is running out of arguments.

Ndcent

Liqour Barn in Lexington, KY is the biggest and best liqour store I’ve ever been to.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ndcent wrote Liqour Barn in Lexington, KY is the biggest and best liqour store I’ve ever been to.

Agreed. That place is pure boozy paradise!

dredd

Personally I like the duty free store on your way in and out of Windsor and Niagra…

Ndcent wrote Liqour Barn in Lexington, KY is the biggest and best liqour store I’ve ever been to.

Park Street Tavern, a few steps out my door, has a cigar that can be bought for $5.

Ndcent

XLD wrote

Park Street Tavern, a few steps out my door, has a cigar that can be bought for $5.

oh :?:

aaminian
    Participant

Europia. In addition to loving the place, I live pretty much directly across the street, so the decision has largely been made for me.

Bear
    Participant

XLD wrote

Why do people in Columbus seem to equate liquor stores with cigar stores? It’s totally bizarre — I’ve been a resident of five different states plus the District of Columbia, and visited lots of others, and this is the only place I’ve been where the connection is so automatic.

CaD

i agree, in akron/cleveland…they are separate things, never associated together like that

Bear wrote

XLD wrote

Why do people in Columbus seem to equate liquor stores with cigar stores? It’s totally bizarre — I’ve been a resident of five different states plus the District of Columbia, and visited lots of others, and this is the only place I’ve been where the connection is so automatic.

Some clarifications:

I assumed Ndcent, being Ndcent, was making a point by using an example of one extreme (very wide selection, very far away). So I responded using an example of the other extreme (very narrow selection, very close proximity).

I started the cigar discussion, but I started it thusly:

XLD wrote Veering back off topic, I also hit up Europia for cigars due to convenience.

So I recognized the distinction, but I got off topic by way of a store that sells both liquor and cigars. This isn’t meant to be defensive so much as just clarifying my posts.

To the larger point of equating liquor stores to cigar stores, I find it interesting that that’s a Columbus only phenomenon. It reminds me of the lumping together of jazz and blues. I imagine there is overlap in the target audience. The jazz and blues thing confuses me more, but I’m a fan of all of the above, so maybe there’s something to it.

Ndcent

I had a pint glass of Seagrams 7 at Lemongrass last night, with a splash of 7up…followed by a pint glass of Seagrams 7 with a splash of 7up.

Bear
    Participant

XLD wrote I started the cigar discussion, but I started it thusly:

XLD wrote Veering back off topic, I also hit up Europia for cigars due to convenience.

So I recognized the distinction, but I got off topic by way of a store that sells both liquor and cigars. This isn’t meant to be defensive so much as just clarifying my posts.

Thank you. I’d forgotten the earlier topic-swerve, and without that context swerve this jump seemed quite odd. And in retrospect, “equate” isn’t quite the right word… but it does seem to me that people have come to expect cigars in their liquor stores, which is kind of like expecting to be able to buy wine in a cheese shop. I see how they’d go together, sure — but I just usually see them in different places.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: