Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Favorite liquor store?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Favorite liquor store?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear wrote

The Hegemo wrote

Mercurius wrote

I don’t go to Cincy without making a stop here

http://www.thepartysource.com/

This is where I buy probably 95% of my liquor.

http://www.thepartysource.com/spirits_single_malt_scotches.php

They have an equally impressive bourbon collection. I mean it is in KY

lisathewaitress
    Participant

I didn’t read through all of the posts, so I apologize if someone already said this, but all liquor stores are run by the state and the prices are controlled by the state, so all liquor will be the same price no matter which store you are in.

Crown Liquor on Bethel road is good; they supply the Refectory so they get in lots of special things.

I also go to Weiland’s a lot.

and have things delivered, as someone mentioned before – Caddell Williams is always really great to me, and they have great products.

Bear
    Participant

holt wrote the prices are the same no matter where you go. They are not selling the liquor–> the state is.

lisathewaitress wrote all liquor stores are run by the state and the prices are controlled by the state, so all liquor will be the same price no matter which store you are in.

That explains it…. So maybe I should remove the price part of the original question, and instead focus on selection (and out-of-state sources).

Has anyone been to a place called Bexley Liquors, or Bexley Liquor Agency?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I end up going to Honey Bee a lot. 1600 S. High. Their selection is decent enough for me, it’s rarely busy, and the guys who run the place are always nice to me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&q=1600+s.+high,+columbus,+oh&ie=UTF8&ll=39.933582,-82.992954&spn=0.010892,0.020192&z=16&iwloc=addr

lisathewaitress
    Participant

Bear wrote

holt wrote the prices are the same no matter where you go. They are not selling the liquor–> the state is.

lisathewaitress wrote all liquor stores are run by the state and the prices are controlled by the state, so all liquor will be the same price no matter which store you are in.

That explains it…. So maybe I should remove the price part of the original question, and instead focus on selection (and out-of-state sources).

Has anyone been to a place called Bexley Liquors, or Bexley Liquor Agency?

Bexley liquors is pretty good – they’ve carried absinthe for awhile.

On a side note, Bear, I think you’ll come to love all of our fun wine/liquor laws here in the state of Ohio! :roll: I’m sure you’re already noticing some of it. I would second or third or whatever the party source down near Cincinnati. Surprisingly enough, a few really great wine people have gotten their start there. Just wait until your favorite liquor is de-listed by the state and you can’t get it anymore! (ahem, Citadel gin).

I would recommend doing your shopping when you are driving to other states!

Bear
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote Bexley liquors is pretty good – they’ve carried absinthe for awhile.

Oh ho. Now that’s intriguing. I’ve never had the pleasure of trying the real stuff, prepared the way it’s supposed to be prepared, and it’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while now.

lisathewaitress wrote On a side note, Bear, I think you’ll come to love all of our fun wine/liquor laws here in the state of Ohio! :roll: I’m sure you’re already noticing some of it. I would second or third or whatever the party source down near Cincinnati. Surprisingly enough, a few really great wine people have gotten their start there. Just wait until your favorite liquor is de-listed by the state and you can’t get it anymore! (ahem, Citadel gin).

And chartreuse, more recently. Grabbed a bottle of green, because I heard it was on its way out. Ridiculous practice!! :)

dirtgirl
    Participant

to be clear, prices at all liquor stores are not necessarily the same. there is a MINIMUM price they all must charge. But they can go as high above that as they want (and those liquor profits get shared with the state, and will help to repay bonds to stimulate the economy according to the bipartisan jobs package passed last week… so drink up and create some jobs!)

Matthew
    Participant

There are some great liquor stores in Richmond Indiana as well as in Kentucky. Just make sure you aren’t boot leggin it. 8)

honavery

When I need something quick and dirty… and dont mind dealing with some riff raff… I hit the one on Parsons and Stewart in the southend. The have a better selection than Europia.. and there are always some interesting characters to talk to…

I used to go to this one, but I honestly do not always feel safe going in there. There are usually multiple people asking for money outside, and its cash only….I’m probably just being paranoid, but still.

I’ve hit the newish one downtown they opened by the bus stop just south of city center a few times after work on a Friday. Its not bad.

Bear
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote to be clear, prices at all liquor stores are not necessarily the same. there is a MINIMUM price they all must charge. But they can go as high above that as they want

Aw crap. Wish I’d read this before walking into Village Carryout on 5th and buying a bottle of Bruichladdich this afternoon. I knew it was overpriced, and I’d seen it equally overpriced at Europia, so I figured it wouldn’t be less overpriced anywhere else. But now I wonder. :?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

If the Party Source in Cinci is the walmart of liquor by the levee, then I highly recommend it to anyone.

I can’t remember all the cross streets but over in Grandview just west of Olentangy there is a good one I like. Unlike many of the liquor stores, everything was shelved for customer access like a grocery store. You didn’t have to wait for someone to grab it off the shelf. Seemed like a decent whiskey selection as well. :D

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I’m actually looking for some place that carries good shochu. I could see someplace in Dublin having this (due to proximity to Honda).

Bear
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote I can’t remember all the cross streets but over in Grandview just west of Olentangy there is a good one I like. Unlike many of the liquor stores, everything was shelved for customer access like a grocery store.

The one next to Coco’s Grill? That’s the one I mentioned, Village Carryout I think is the name. It’s on Fifth, just a couple blocks west of Olentangy. And yes, pretty decent selection of whiskeys.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Right by the rail tracks, kind of tucked back in. I went last July, trying to get an Irish Single Malt for my roommates 21st. They were doing road construction on that road and had no access past Olentangy, so one street up and then back through.

Ashland wrote It (Huffman’s) is in UA, on Tremont. It is in a little strip mall there. Tremont Center is the name of the plaza.

Quick off topic aside for a shameless, unofficial plug of the family business – check out Tremont Pharmacy next door, a nice alternative to the CVS’s of the world: http://tremontcenter.com/ Also, you can have a pharmacist consult or doctor visit in the back through Hayden Run Internal Medicine: http://haydenrunim.com/index.htm

On topic, I would agree that Europia wins for convenience in the area, but probably wouldn’t be the first choice if you need a selection. I’d agree that the previously mentioned spot on 5th just west of Olentangy would be better.

Veering back off topic, I also hit up Europia for cigars due to convenience. I tend to pick one up only on a whim, which usually occurs in the evening when only Europia is open. Vino 100 carries some nice alternative selections, albeit small and not open late. I think the place that was near Broad and High closed and the spot in the Convention Center has limited hours. Barclay on Lane Avenue in UA is a good spot, but the location doesn’t satisfy the whim requirements. Add a spot with a good selection of cigars that’s open late to my selfish wish list of Short North shops (yes, I should get a humidor).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: